Thread: Pacers/Celtics Pre-Game: Keys to Win

Hybrid View

Default Pacers/Celtics Pre-Game: Keys to Win

The Celtics have sustained a lot of injuries of late. A review of their injury report and depth chart (FoxSports.com) shows they can only go 9-deep.

Glen Davis has to pull double-duty. He's playing a reserve role at Center behind the lesser experienced Semih Erden and also at PF behind KG. The Celtics also have problems at SG and PG.

At SG, they've gone with Von Wafer behind Ray Allen. But Wafer, who's only averaging 2 ppg over the last 20 games, suffered from a back injury yesterday and didn't return to play in the 2nd-half against the Hawks. Meanwhile, in the absence of Rajon Rondo (out for the next week or so w/a sprained ankle), the Celtics have gone with the PG duo of Nat Robinson and Avery Bradley, a rookie who's also avg 2 ppg.

In short, the Celtics will likely be without Shaq, JO, Rondo, Delante West and Perkins. If JOB was smart, he'd go with a 10-man rotation and have our Guards and SFs attack the paint on every possession. In fact, there's no reason our Bigs - Hibbert, Solo, Jmac, Foster and Hansborough - shouldn't dominate the likes of KG and Glen Davis. Soften the middle where the Celtics are weakest right now and they can win handily. Depend on too many jump shots and they'll get in a shooting match with Pierce, Allen and KG - who are all playing extended minutes (avg 36 mpg; those 3 along with Erden, Robinson and Davis - the Celtics' top 6 players during their injury woes - are avg 34 mpg).

Play smarter, not harder.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 12-18-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Mood

Default Re: Pacers/Celtics Pre-Game: Keys to Win

Big Baby Perkins?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big Baby Perkins?
    Sorry...that moniker would belong to Glen Davis....my bad...Corrected!!!

we better beat them

that would be an excellent way for us to re-gain our recognition and our attendance will go up
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Yes, the Celtics aren't better than a 45 wins team with those 5 rotational players out. Wafer being out makes things even worse because it's more minutes going for Bradley and Erden. They're a vulnerable team now.

The key is to pull Garnett away off Boston's paint and attack Erden relentlessly. Erden is an extremely poor defender and rebounder (and not much of a factor offensively). A below par 3rd string center, one of the worst players in the leagye stepping on the floor on a regular basis. Him paired with Glen Davis is a nightmare. Boston will need a big game from Garnett again.

The Pacers can and should win this game if they throw ALL their bigs at the Celtics' depleted front court AND they attack the rim. There's just no way KG, Davis and a 3rd string Center can stop Hibbert, Solo, Jmac, Hans, Foster, Posey, Granger or Dunleavy if he's used at SF even sparingly, not to mention Collison, Ford and BRush who's really a Scoring Guard, can also get to the rim.

I hope someone in the Pacers lockeroom is reading this thread...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    The Pacers can and should win this game if they throw ALL their bigs at the Celtics' depleted front court AND they attack the rim. There's just no way KG, Davis and a 3rd string Center can stop Hibbert, Solo, Jmac, Hans, Foster, Posey, Granger or Dunleavy if he's used at SF even sparingly, not to mention Collison, Ford and BRush who's really a Scoring Guard, can also get to the rim.

I hope someone in the Pacers lockeroom is reading this thread...
    Tough loss...

Shaq's return had an impact; not too much, but enough to make things difficult for Foster (who started - I was surprised JOB made that call) and Hibbert. I thought JOB made three critical rotation errors down the stretch:

1. He stayed with Dunleavy against Ray Allen instead of rotating BRush into the game. I understand the height issue (Dunleavy 6'9" -vs- BRush 6'6"; Ray Allen 6'5"), but Rush is faster and could have stayed in front of Allen and recovered on the perimeter quicker.

2. JOB didn't switch Granger off Marquis and onto Pierce fast enough midway thru the 4Q.

3. Shaq rotated out for Glen Davis. Pacers had Hibbert (who was briefly substituted for S. Jones), Granger, Posey, Dunleavy and Collison (who replaced TJ Ford - another crunch time mistake, IMO) by then. He should have rotated Posey out and put Hans or Foster back on the floor and made sure either stuck to Glen Davis like glue.

The way I see it, had the Pacers gone with:

Granger - SF
    Hibbert - C
    Hans or Foster - PF
    TJ Ford - PG
    BRush - SG

Against:

Pierce - SF
    Davis - C
    KG - PF
    Robinson - PG
    Allen - SG

Pacers would have had a faster lineup that was better suited to matchup defensively against who the Celtics had on the floor to close the game.

Sidenote: Granger and Hibbert went a combined 13-43 (Granger, 5-20; Hibbert, 8-23...absolutely atroscious especially when you consider the Pacers went 34-96 FGA -vs- the Celtics 41-76...20 fewer FGAs !!!)
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 12-19-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

WE REALLY NEED TO PLAY HANSBROUGH DURING THIS GAME. Seriously, we do. If you remember last season against the Celtics when Hansbrough played, he gave KG fits and was really ticking off KG. Plus we need to ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK to put fouls on them. Hopefully Danny will be in attack-mode still. And another thing is REBOUND the ball and MAKE open shots. We also need to play some good D on Ray and Nate especially, I think, as we don't need both of those 2 going off for a ton of 3s tomorrow. Tomorrow would be a great time for us to win, especially against this Celtics team, as they're depleted because of injuries and it is the best chance for us to beat them probably all season long. I'm just really hoping we pull it off tomorrow.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A win here would be a really nice confidence boost, and help my day not be ruined if the colts lose to jacksonville.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    A win here would be a really nice confidence boost, and help my day not be ruined if the colts lose to jacksonville.
    I Don't Care If We Beat The C's By 20, If The Colts Loose,.... (Hurts Just Saying It)...Go Blue.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Score more points than Celtics
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

This scheming all sounds great but we all know the Pacers are gonna have to put on a COMPLETE game similar to the game @ Miami and @ L.A. if they wanna have a chance at getting this one. I hope Brandon Rush starts over Dun so he can chase Ray Allen around
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    At SG, they've gone with Von Wafer
    Sounds like a delicious cookie.

Banned
    Mood

A win against the mighty Celtics will wash away the bad taste that streak of six-losses-in-eight-games left behind.

Give Hansbrough some playing time. I wanna see if he can pull one of K.G.'s twig-like arms out-of-socket while bullying a rebound away from him.
    Last edited by Lance George; 12-19-2010 at 08:59 AM.

I forgot Rondo was out. Now I really want to watch the game. Oh well, Pierce and Garnett will probably up their game enough to cover for the injuries.

The Pacers will need a heavy dose of Mike Dunleavy and James Posey shooting threes with TJ Ford taking lots of layups to be in this game.

Just kidding, just kidding.

But its probably what we will see. Thank goodness the Colts are playing today. If one or the other gets totally out of hand there is still something to see.