Thread: Do any of you play basketball?

Default Do any of you play basketball?

I know some of you are getting up there but do any of you on here play basketball or are you all strictly T.V. GMs? Rec league, unorganized team, or just shooting in the backyard? If you do, what role do you usually fill? What are your strengths?

My buddies and I say every year that we should play more but there are only about 4 of us that want to play and we never seem to make it. This last year however, I moved into a place with a park near it that has a pretty quality court. I got up there a couple times a week for the second half of the summer and just yesterday I ran into a group of (8-10) guys who meet up there regularly. I'm 5'8 and played mostly SF (hilarious). I'm more of a ball handler but I still had a blast.
    [edit=390=1093958673][/edit]

Default Re: Do any of you play basketball?

Up until about 8 weeks ago I played 3 days a week. There's a pretty good group of guys that plays at my church at 5 in the morning. It's tough to get up that early, but I got used to it, eventually.

Right now I'm on the injured reserve with turf toe. I keep re-injuring the damn thing. Maybe next week I can start playing again.

I guess I'd call myself a slasher, mainly playing the three. I also like to post up, so I guess you could call me a SF/PF. On defense, I'll guard anybody - the bigger 5s and quicker 1s and 2s will give me a bit of trouble, though.

My ball handling generally sucks, but I've been trying to concentrate on my passing and dribbling for the last couple of years. I'm making progress, especially on passing.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a "retired" PG.

I had a late growth spurt (I was 5'8" when I graduated from HS, grew 4" my first semester of college) so I had quit playing organized hoops in high school.

I was a sprinter on the track team in college, but I had both knees scoped. Since I had already "retired" from basketball, I've never fully gotten my lateral mobility back. Although I shoot baskets and do other basketball-related stuff with my daughter, its been a long time since I've even played a pickup game.

For what it's worth, Jay's_Dad@Section222 is a retired coach/ PE teacher. We were with some of my cousins last weekend, and Dad was teaching some of thier kids some basketball and football drills and such. It was my job to shoot, pass, dribble, etc. with good fundamentals while he said "coachy" things like, "Look at that follow-through."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I played ball in high school and college. Blew out my knee my last year of college and had it fixed a little while ago.

I'm trying to regain my mobility, but it is truly difficult. I haven't played in any pickup games or anything like that since before the injury, but I'm trying to work my way up to them right now.

I'm a pretty good shooter from 12 - 20 feet from the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a late growth spurt (I was 5'8" when I graduated from HS, grew 4" my first semester of college)
    I hate you. I stopped growing in 8th grade.

I keep thinking that one of these years I'm going to get my missing growth spurt. But time seems to be running out.

But it does help explain why my skills are more geared toward power forward and I'm only 5' 10".
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I'm with you, Doug....I was bigger than everyone else as a kid, but didn't really grow much past 8th grade. I weigh the same, and have the same waist-line as I did in 8th grade. I was a bruiser then though...Now I'm just the 5'10 guy that likes to play like he's a big guy...I am faster and can jump higher than I could then ...

I still play when my knee feels like it'll hold up. But it's frustrating knowing what I want to do but not being able to do it at times.

I'm not great, but I really like to play... lemme know if you need another sometime...
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've played since I was 5 or 6, I used to play 2-3 times a week up until this summer, but nowadays everyone's schedules don't allow as many times to get together to play.

If anyone here is ever feeling froggy enough to arrange a Pacersdigest game somewhere around Indy, or the general vicinity, I'll play any time, any day. I don't care if it's 11:00 pm, or 4:30 am, plus it would just be fun to have another get together to hang out with everyone on here.

I always thought it would be cool to get enough people together sometime to rent out that gym in Knightstown, the one they used in Hoosiers for the Hickory court. Hell, I even think they still have the picture of Gene Hackman and the team hanging on the wall.

ImReppinBtown

Yeah I play, I've played since I was in 2nd grade. Me and my buddies play about 4 or 5 times a week. I'm 6'3'' 196. I'm 18 and still growing. Because Ive been taller than all the guys in my age groups when I play organized basketball Ive always played PF/C. But I can shoot the ball really good so when we just go out to the hoop and play a 3 on 3 game or something I'm usually runnin around trying to get the 3. I would love to play the 2 guard. But yeah we play all the time. The only trouble I have is the little fast guys on the court.

acers:

Zesty

I used to play all the time up until a couple years ago. I'm pretty embarassed about how badly I've gotten out of shape in that time, and I probably couldn't hit a layup right now. I didn't start playing ball until I was about a junior in high school because before that I was always the shortest kid in my class and very non-athletic (I was about 5'2" when I started high school, I hit 6'0" sometime during my senior year and I'm at about 6'2" - 6'3" now). Since I was always really skinny, I never liked playing inside, although I used to have a pretty deadly turnaround baseline jumper. I prefer to play point forward, although I have never played in any sort of organized program and have never had any coaching. I keep meaning to get back in shape and back on the court, but between working full time and going to school almost every night, it's hard to find the motivation to do anything but come home, study, and crash.

Banned

Played organized ball throughout my teens until I was 20 (tore my medial collateral ligament) and still go play pick-up ball 2 or 3 times a month. Half court only. The knee can't take the pounding of full court anymore.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I didn't grow much after I started high school. Good for me I was 6'4" at the time. I played until I tore up my knee in a farming accident when I was 14. Now I only play off and on with my brother for fun when I get the chance. I can still play decently well; my knee just gets really sore rather quickly.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Back in Highschool I used to play everyday. I had gym class first period for 3 years. So I'd just show up to school early and play basketball then we'd play more in gym class. After school I'd play in some pick up games at a church I attended. During the winter the church had a rec league, I was the starting center for my church 2 years. After highschool I stopped playing due to various jobs. Recently I moved to Baton Rouge, LA. I'm a few minutes away from LSU campus and I've started to play at the rec center. Hopefully once I get back into playing shape I'll get into more pick up games.

I used to play a lot with some guys I knew, but i don't as much anymore. I'm really a pretty terrible (wait, make that VERY terrible) overall player, but I can shoot the heck out of the ball. I used to love going on streaks and smokin the rest of my more athletic and taller buddies. The crapshot was my specialty.

I need to play more. I'll have to get on that sometime.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a 6'1 2 guard in HS right now.

Hip-Hop ,Guitar & Martial ArtsEnthusiast
    Tony Jaa could beat you up with his pinky.

RA231

Yes I play. I'm 5-8 and I'm a dribbler. I never used to have a basketball goal for a couple years so I just dribbled around in my driveway and basement a lot. I recently got a basketball goal but I still cant shoot to well. I basically just run around everybody and only shoot layups and close range shot. I was always one of the faster kids so my specialty is to run around everyone and run everywhere. I am a Tracy Mcgrady type... a ballhog. Im 17 and play pickup games a lot. Especially over the summer. I will be playing this seaon for my school team unfortuentley I wont be able to be such a ball hog once I start playing for my school team.

here is a link to the previous thread about the same topic...

---

Here in Melbourne, Australia our basketball structure works abit different to the US.

Roughly divided up in increasing levels of seriousness.

Social, School, Domestic, District.

I've played, coached and reffed at all levels to varying degrees. I currently play 2 nights a week in social competitions, as a SF/PF, good rebounder, defender and passer, decent shooter when i get around to practicing enough

Yeah, play all the time at school. Very fun.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

There have been a couple of threads about this in the past, here is the link for the most recent one.

Here in Melbourne, Australia our basketball structure works abit different to the US.

Roughly divided up in increasing levels of seriousness.

Social, School, Domestic, District.

I've played, coached and reffed at all levels to varying degrees. I currently play 2 nights a week in social competitions, as a SF/PF, good rebounder, defender and passer, decent shooter when i get around to practicing enough

oops accidently bumped this old thread.

I stopped growing in 6th grade. But damn I was good in 6th grade. I dominated the CYO league. We got to the final four and I'll never forget the last play. I think we were down two and had the ball and I did not take the last second shot, our third best player did. I can't fault him though he got a good shot, but just didn't make it. I was in perfect rebounding position but the ball took a bad bounce and the game ended.

Every year thereafter as the other players approached my height my biggest advantage was lost.

But in the 6th grade I was like Shaq.

I played until my freshman year in HS, but played very little that year so I did not try out the next year.

In 7th and 8th grade I was the guy who ran the plays the coaches wanted while everyone else broke the plays and just went one-on-one, I set the picks and passed the ball. Oh well I loved playing basketball. My favorite thing was passing.

3ptmiller

Basketball cought my interest at an age of 11, i was 61" at a gym class when i moved to Sweden from Yugoslavia... at the gym class we played bball 3 vs 3 and i couldnt believe what kinda talent i had, i could already shoot 3PT shots... i was hitting like 4 in a row, with 4 sounds of "SWISCH!" and i had already a decent stroke. Since then i bought a basketball and was haunting for more "SWISCH!" sounds....

Then i got pretty good and started playing for High School then Sophomore... and now im 24 years old and i am 63" - 64" and im earning money on this! Now u can see me and my team and my stats overhere www.basketligan.se

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am a Senior in High School, and I played varsity since Sophomore year. I play SG and I hope to play as a walk on at Butler University next year.