Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakers Fans at Conseco

Default Lakers Fans at Conseco

There's something really sad about an Indianapolis area resident that feels compelled to don Lakers gear and go out of his way to root against the home team. People have complained about the lack of fan support for the Pacers in Conseco before on PD, but wow -- seeing so many local people last night come to our home arena wearing Lakers gear and actually rooting against the home team... Well, it was kind of a jaw-dropping experience for me.

With this kind of a local fan base, why play home games?

Default Re: Lakers Fans at Conseco

Agreed. I was beside myself by how horrible our fans were. We will never be a championship team if we don't have a good fan base.

Well, you know the team has got to put together some consistent winning. But, certain teams will always maintain fan bases nationally. No different in the NFL, for example.

I don't like it, but I'm not going to waste energy worrying about it. A really good way to start (re)attracting the fan base is to come out and compete and make a game like LA enjoyable. So that was an abject failure. Missed opportunity.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Those bandwagon fans do that to every team's home arenas.

I wouldn't take it personally.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Ya those are the same people who will go home and cheer for the Cowboys or Patriots and then the Yankees when the MLB season starts up.

I know if I was a dirty bandwagon fan I wouldn't want to admit it in public.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tfarks For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Look at the bright side. At least the sellout helps bring in revenue which they sorely need to help rebuild the team.

The best thing for the Pacers to do in these cases is to play well or even win and try to bring back some of these fans.

You may not like it but as Otter says in the movie Animal House "we need the dues".

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

OK, after years of Bulls and Cavs jerseys all over the court, this surprises you? Or did you really think that all of those opposing jerseys in those cases made the trip from their home towns?

The ultimate bandwagon I saw was the guy with the Lakers jersey and the Yankees hat. I only saw him from a distance but I wouldn't have been surprised if he had some kind of Colts belt buckle or earring or what-not.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look at the bright side. At least the sellout helps bring in revenue which they sorely need to help rebuild the team.

The best thing for the Pacers to do in these cases is to play well or even win and try to bring back some of these fans.

You may not like it but as Otter says in the movie Animal House "we need the dues".
    We're currently 24th in the league in attendance now.

Usually weekend games we get pretty good crowds so hopefully we start giving these fans a reason to come out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    OK, after years of Bulls and Cavs jerseys all over the court, this surprises you? Or did you really think that all of those opposing jerseys in those cases made the trip from their home towns?
    There are always some of those sporadic "foreign" shirts at every game, and no, I never figured them for people coming from Miami, Orlando, or Cleveland. I always figured them for a few isolated locals with foreign allegiances. They never bothered me much.

But I was really surprised last night by the pervasiveness of Laker gear and Laker support and the rabidity of it -- to the point of actually attacking the home team and dissing the home players. That did surprise me. It was pretty dismaying.

I get mad, then watch the "And 1" girations (sp?) and just laugh at them. Reminds of Chapelle skit about the "And 1" bowler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59l1O7nXHVA

There's not a whole lot of substance there, honestly, for most of them.

Frontrunners will always exist and usually be obnoxious in the process. I like to think when the teams I root for do win, it's a whole higher level sweeter and meaningful.

WHOOP, WHOOP, BOIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

Last edited by Speed; 12-16-2010 at 11:07 AM.

All those Laker fans were probably born and raised in Los Angeles and moved to Indiana. Everybody knows that.
    Here we come lottery?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyHoya View Post
    There are always some of those sporadic "foreign" shirts at every game, and no, I never figured them for people coming from Miami, Orlando, or Cleveland. I always figured them for a few isolated locals with foreign allegiances. They never bothered me much.

But I was really surprised last night by the pervasiveness of Laker gear and Laker support and the rabidity of it -- to the point of actually attacking the home team and dissing the home players. That did surprise me. It was pretty dismaying.
    Hmm. I actually commented I thought the proportion of Laker gear was MUCH less than the proportion of Cavs gear for LeBron's last game here last season.

I guess that obnoxious purple and yellow is more visible than black and red.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Hmm. I actually commented I thought the proportion of Laker gear was MUCH less than the proportion of Cavs gear for LeBron's last game here last season.

I guess that obnoxious people wearing purple and yellow is more visible than people wearing black and red.

Maybe this, instead.

Dunno. I wasn't at the Cleveland game last year. Maybe it's nothing new to you, but it sure was an eyeopener for me. Even some of the ushers last night were remarking about the number of Lakers fans there.

I remember a ton of Miami fans either last year or the year prior. Plenty of Cavs and Celtics fans, too.

I hate to say it but its because we just aren't good like we used to be. After the Pacers brawl all I here about the Pacers from people now is, "Wow, I didn't even know the Pacers were here anymore. They get rid of those thugs yet?" We have a reputation still whether we want to admit it or not. I love the Pacers and have always been a die hard fan but facts are facts. Have you gone in sports stores lately in Indiana? I will guarentee you that you see Heat, Celtics, Lakers, Mavs, and a few others but nowhere will there be a Pacers jersey. Until the Pacers prove they are for real things will not change.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to k_lewis93 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyHoya View Post
    Dunno. I wasn't at the Cleveland game last year. Maybe it's nothing new to you, but it sure was an eyeopener for me. Even some of the ushers last night were remarking about the number of Lakers fans there.
    It is nothing new. A lot of NBA fans just follow 1 player. normally melo,kobe,lebron,wade ect. They can barley name 5 people on the team but they like the team because of that one player.

I'll tell you what was funny, was all the Celtics "fans" that were at Conseco Fieldhouse the first year of the big 3. If you're a fan, that's great, come root for your team. But, where were all these "fans" the year before when the weaker Celtics team came? Bandwagon! Hop on!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post:

Yeah, that is sad, period. I live Cali and go to Warriors games often, and you never see that many Laker fans when the Dubs play them. I would be pissed if I was a Pacers fan at the game last night! I think Pacer fans have once again lost faith in the Pacers.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

27. The Following User Says Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    We're currently 24th in the league in attendance now.

Usually weekend games we get pretty good crowds so hopefully we start giving these fans a reason to come out.
    something good came out of all that purple
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

The abundance of Lakers fans annoyed me, but what really pissed me off was the Pacers giving those bandwagoners a reason to hoot and holler by not even competing from the opening tip.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Man I'm old.

All I want to do is sit here and smirk at you young pups going "back in the day".

Seriously though if you think this is bad you should have been at MSA during the hey day's of Bird. You would have thought that Kelly Green was the color of the home team & sadly you knew d@mn well that those people were from Indiana.

Also let's not forget the lovely days of the Jordan Jock sniffers either from the late 80's into the 90's.

At least by the mid 90's the Pacers were starting to get good so our fan base was present and by the end of the 90's we actually outnumbered the Bulls fans.

But it wasn't even close in the early 80's. To say we were outnumbered 20 to 1 would probably be an underestimate.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

At least the Celtics had a local connection (Bird). The Lakers have no such thing...unless you believe all those fans came out to see Ron Artest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    At least the Celtics had a local connection (Bird). The Lakers have no such thing...unless you believe all those fans came out to see Ron Artest.
    I'm not sure that is any less irritating. In fact I'm pretty sure for me anyway it is not.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Jordan Jock Sniffers
    Yeah, that's what they are. I like that. "Kobe Jock Sniffers" - Wish we had used that last night.