Thread: Future Power Rankings on ESPN Insider: Pacers climbing ranks

Default Future Power Rankings on ESPN Insider: Pacers climbing ranks

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/news/...kings-3-101216

11. Indiana Pacers | Future Power Rating: 540

PLAYERS: 176(18th) MANAGEMENT: 101(14th) MONEY: 166(3rd) MARKET: 45(19th) DRAFT: 52(14th)

The Pacers continue to fly up our rankings, despite being essentially a .500 team. In August, they rose a whopping nine spots, from No. 26 to 17. This time, the team rise six more spots to 11th place.

While the Pacers don't excel in any category except money, a couple of factors fuel our optimism.

For starters, big man Roy Hibbert looks like a Most Improved Player candidate. The 24-year-old, 7-foot-2 big man is averaging 15 points, eight rebounds and two blocks and still hasn't reached his ceiling. Add in point guard Darren Collison, who was acquired this offseason, and star swingman Danny Granger and the Pacers suddenly have a terrific young core to build around.

The team has also been helped by the sudden emergence of Brandon Rush. After three passive, inconsistent seasons, Rush is hitting his jump shots and locking down players on the defensive end. If he can keep it up, he becomes a fourth piece to the puzzle. The Pacers also have a wealth of other young players -- such as Tyler Hansbrough, Paul George, A.J. Price and Lance Stephenson -- who barely play but all have promise down the road.

Clearly, president of ops. Larry Bird and GM David Morway have done a terrific job of drafting in the middle and back end of the draft. But they've also managed the books well and go into the trade deadline with a myriad of expiring contracts and/or a ton of cap space next summer. They have an impressive $27 million in expiring contracts to play with, and the fact that most of the players who are on expiring deals (Mike Dunleavy, T.J. Ford, Jeff Foster) can be major contributors on playoff teams improves the Pacers' chances of getting a significant piece in return.

If Indiana can't make a deal, it walks into next summer with the second most cap space of any team in the league. Given their young, up-and-coming stable of talent, they should be able to persuade a good free agent to come aboard.

(Previous rank: 17)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Hibbert; 12-16-2010 at 01:55 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Future Power Rankings on ESPN Insider: Pacers climbing ranks

[QUOTE=Hibbert;1119419]http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/news/...kings-3-101216

If Indiana can't make a deal, it walks into next summer with the second most cap space of any team in the league. Given their young, up-and-coming stable of talent, they should be able to persuade a good free agent to come aboard.
    QUOTE]

unfortunatley there are no "good FA" next year
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=90'sNBARocked;1119426]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/news/...kings-3-101216

QUOTE]

unfortunatley there are no "good FA" next year
    that is so false

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    that is so false
    Why is that so false?

What FA is available at the SG or PF spot that would make a difference?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Why is that so false?

What FA is available at the SG or PF spot that would make a difference?
    that wasnt what was said but i will name a few any way.(he said overall FA's) Zbo, David west, Nene Jrich, wilson Chanler,aaron brooks,Landey, Chanldler just to name a few. I guess theses guys arent "good"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

that wasnt what was said but i will name a few any way.(he said overall FA's) Zbo, David west, Nene Jrich, Chanldler just to name a few
    Chandler is a center, and Nene has an 11 million dollar option I'm sure he's going to pick up.

Regardless, there doesn't need to be great FA's to make an impact when you have cap space. Teams will give away draft picks, and good players to save money for you taking on salary for them. As long as nothing too drastic changes with the new CBA, anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Chandler is a center, and Nene has an 11 million dollar option I'm sure he's going to pick up.

Regardless, there doesn't need to be great FA's to make an impact when you have cap space. Teams will give away draft picks, and good players to save money for you taking on salary for them. As long as nothing too drastic changes with the new CBA, anyway.
    Richard Jefferson had a 15million dollar option last yr that he turned down for more guarnteed money. Chandler would be perfect with Dc. We need to upgrade more than the 4 and the 2 the backup center is a pretty big need. I guess by ur standards David West and Zbo arent good. Dave west would fit perfect with hibbert.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-16-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Richard Jefferson had a 15million dollar option last yr that he turned down for more guarnteed money. Chandler would be perfect with Dc. We need to upgrade more than the 4 and the 2 the backup center is a pretty big need. I guess by ur standards David West and Zbo arent good. Dave west would fit perfect with hibbert.
    RJeff turned down his option for more guaranteed money so he could get it before the new CBA is in effect and salaries potentially decrease. Nene can't do that, and it's an almost certainty that he'll accept that option year.

By my standards? Are you serious? I didn't say anything about anyone being good or not good, so your idea of 'my standards' seems awfully out of place.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone trying to make next summer's FA class out to be anything other than mildly impressive, is lying to themselves and others.
    Grown Man Ball

Sports Logo

that wasnt what was said but i will name a few any way.(he said overall FA's) Zbo, David west, Nene Jrich, wilson Chanler,aaron brooks,Landey, Chanldler just to name a few. I guess theses guys arent "good"
    The only realistic FA on that list that we can probably make a run at is JRich and Tyson Chandler ( as a backup Center ). I'd pass on ZBo...DWest is going to want more then $9 mil ( that's how much he will be passing up for his ETO ) and everyone else is going to either be traded ( so that they are "sold" when their price is high ) or will be matched.

At best....I guess we can go with slightly overpaying David West at $10 mil a year, going after Tyson Chandler ( as a backup center ) and JRich....if they can be had for $8-9 mil a year over 4 seasons.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Anyone trying to make next summer's FA class out to be anything other than mildly impressive, is lying to themselves and others.
    i didnt say it was impressive someone just said there isnt any good players who will be FA which is false.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post

The team has also been helped by the sudden emergence of Brandon Rush. After three passive, inconsistent seasons, Rush is hitting his jump shots and locking down players on the defensive end. If he can keep it up, he becomes a fourth piece to the puzzle. The Pacers also have a wealth of other young players -- such as Tyler Hansbrough, Paul George, A.J. Price and Lance Stephenson -- who barely play but all have promise down the road.
    Errrrrrr. I can accept that Brandon isn't going to get any love from this guy regarding his quality on the defensive end last year, but this is only his third year. Hollinger makes it sound like Brandon is in his 4th year.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post: