Thread: a e-bay seller gets back on non-paying buyer

Default a e-bay seller gets back on non-paying buyer

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/commen...er_to_pay_for/

(warning, some language at the bottom of the link, and angry e-mail, NSFW)

First of all, I am not claiming to have invented this trick. I imagine others have used it with varying degrees of success. I also want to point out that nothing here is embellished or exaggerated.

I had tickets to a sporting event and couldn't attend. I made a 1-day listing and clearly stated that the tickets must be picked up in person within 24 hours (the game was the evening after the auction ended, so there wasn't any time to ship the tickets). A woman won the auction for about $600. The auction had ended at 10:00am and by 5:00pm she still hadn't responded to my emails trying to organize the exchange. Finally, at 9:30pm, I got a one-liner email: "I overbid and my husband won't let me buy these. Sorry and enjoy the game! "

I first tried explaining that I wouldn't have the time to resell the tickets (I already got turned down by the losing bidders). She said, "... that's not my problem. It's eBay, not a car dealership. I can back out if I want." I still don't understand the car dealership reference.

I was pretty upset. I was basically going to be stuck with tickets to an event that I couldn't attend. That's when I got the idea to convince her to change her mind.

I created a new eBay account, "Payback" we'll call it, and sent her a message: "Hi there, I noticed you won an auction for 4 [sporting event] tickets. I meant to bid on these but couldn't get to a computer. I wanted to take my son and dad and would be willing to give you $1,000 for the tickets. I imagine that you've already made plans to attend, but I figured it was worth a shot."

At 11:30pm she responded to Payback: "I'll do it for $1,100, no less. I can meet you at the game if you agree. I need your phone number."

At 11:35pm, Payback wrote: "Deal. Here is my number..." (Thanks Google Voice for the throwaway number). She called a few minutes later and made Payback "promise" to go through with the deal. She emphasized that she'd be out a lot of money if Payback backed out. Payback swore he would never do such a thing.

At 11:45pm, the woman emailed me: "Fine. I'll buy them. But you have to drop them off at my house tonight. I'll have the cash ready." So at f*ing midnight I drove to her house across town and met her on the road in front of her apartment building. She was a nasty and rude individual. Things didn't get any better when I told her I wanted an extra $20 for the trouble of driving there at midnight (yeah, pushing my luck, I know). It became very awkward and she literally threw 31 $20 bills at me. I counted them before handing over the tickets. I said, "thanks for the great transaction" as she flipped me off while walking away.

At 10:00am she called Payback to make sure they were still on for the exchange. Payback said that he could no longer go to the game and wouldn't be able to do the exchange. She blew her ****ing top and I swear to god started speaking in tongues. Payback said, "Ma'am, this is eBay, not a car dealership" and hung up.

I got a rabid email 10 minutes later telling me that I was going to hell and that she's reported me to the local police, FBI, and... the fire department. WTF?

I never heard another word from her. I have no idea if she went to the game or not.

Was this wrong?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: a e-bay seller gets back on non-paying buyer

Dude is an ****** geneous IMO. I love hearing stories like this.

Ordinarily I might not have approved (kinda) but reading about her attitude etc....NO sympathy.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 12-16-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

we have another redditor here?

Good for him (her?). Seriously, screw that

I bet the firemen would enjoy getting the call, if and when she reported him to the fire department. WTF? She seemed to be not quite with it.

Was the second attempted transaction illegal? I would guess he isn't in trouble with e-bay, since the "Payback" attempted transaction wasn't an e-bay brokered sale, although it did involve creating a false identity for the purposes of deceiving somebody (even though it was payback deception).

The end result is that she had to fulfill her obligation as buyer. I know if I'm a cop and get the call on this one, I'm high-fiving the guy, even if he was on somewhat shaky ground in how he got it done.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How would it be illegal? Verbal agreements/contracts aren't implied contracts.

If "Payback" would have taken the tickets before payment, went to the game, and then said that he wouldn't pay, then there would be legal issues.

But there isn't any legal issue with merely negotiating, and then backing out before the deal if finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But there isn't any legal issue with merely negotiating, and then backing out before the deal if finalized.
    Right. It's not like it was a car dealership or anything.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Placing a bid, and winning that auction with that bid, is a legally binding contract. Remember the thread we had earlier this year about the guy winning the Dodge Challenger with a low bid and the dealership trying to use every trick in the book to back out? That guy ended up getting his car for the price he bid, despite the fact that e-bay actually tried to side with the dealer.

Whole story sounds made up to me....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tora tora For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whole story sounds made up to me....
    It was clearly Photoshopped.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hell I would have taken it one step further and told her I would have met her at the game to get the tickets. Then her *** would have gone to the game and been waiting there calling Payback frantically. Yeah, I'm a dick.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure I would've driven to a stranger's house at midnight with goods that the other person thought was worth 1100.00.

The story does sound a little made up though. It's the kind of thing a person getting burned would think about later and wish they would've tried.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure I would've driven to a stranger's house at midnight with goods that the other person thought was worth 1100.00.

The story does sound a little made up though. It's the kind of thing a person getting burned would think about later and wish they would've tried.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It's probably made-up, but I still got a laugh out of it.