Thread: Kind of coach we need

Default Kind of coach we need

I think we need a defensive minded coach. Kind of offense we need to run more Pick n Roll and Pick n Pop. Let DC be a playmaker. Run offense more thru Roy another playmaker. Then run modified version of things we ran for Reg for DG his offense is more diversified. Get more min. for Hans and Price.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kind of coach we need

First off, let's not start the whole myth that JOB is not a defensive-minded coach. We've held most teams at or below their scoring averages this year, so even IF you don't like OppFG% as a stat you have to admit we're doing OK on that side.

I think we've seen some extremes in Rick Carlisle (who liked to control the plays on the court but often left veteran players without an ability to use their own judgment) and Jim O'Brien (who expects even young players to properly read defenses and the movements of their teammates in order to execute the overall strategy). I'd like to see a better balance, structured for who is on the floor at any given time. Note that this might mean even more limited rotations and a sort of platooning rather than individual substitution pattern, because there are only so many combinations you can plan for.

I'd like a coach who recognizes his crutches and is willing to overcome them. I'd like a coach who has enough tactical sense to set the strategy aside as needed and adjust to the adjustment the other team makes in the second half.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

A coach that doesn't talk about "stretching the floor" every single time
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-14-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A coach that doesn't talk about "stretching the floor" every single time
    I don't even get the whole "stretch four". The Pacers still dont' have an inside game, so how is it helping?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe I'm missing something, but could someone explain the difference between "stretching the floor" and "spacing the floor" that makes Jim's way of saying it so wrong.

Everyone likes to knock O'Brien for saying it, but all coaches talk about spacing the floor, and to me this is just O'Brien's way of saying the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I don't even get the whole "stretch four". The Pacers still dont' have an inside game, so how is it helping?
    Well they do when Hibbert is playing good.

But overall, I would throw away the whole "stretch" idea and get a PF that like to play around the net and not shot a million 3's
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but could someone explain the difference between "stretching the floor" and "spacing the floor" that makes Jim's way of saying it so wrong.

Everyone likes to knock O'Brien for saying it, but all coaches talk about spacing the floor, and to me this is just O'Brien's way of saying the same thing.
    But does every coach talk about it as the PFs #1 priority?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Can anyone knowledgeable give an assessment of Mike Brown as a coach? The prevailing thought seems to be that he is a great defensive coach but not great on offense. Can anyone give me something a little more in depth?

Is he really inept offensively or was his strategy in Cleveland the best fit for that team? Specifically a team lacking much talent outside of Lebron.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Undefeated

We need a coach who won't get paid next year.... Oh wait, got one!

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did ya ever see "Rain Man"? Substitute "I'm an excellent driver" or "Wapner" for "Stretch the Floor".
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

There's no difference. And in fact, good teams do this.

However, our problem is that JOB's default is "stretch the floor." As in, there's a problem in our offense..we need to stretch the floor.

Why did Troy play, we needed to stretch the floor.
    Why is Posey playing more, we need to stretch the floor.
    Why is Josh taking more threes, we need to stretch the floor.
    Why did AJ come in against Atlanta, to stretch the floor.

It's like he ignores anything else on the basketball court.

To be fair though, it may just be JOB's default answer, with his other one being "I thought those players give us the best chance to win."
    Last edited by Sookie; 12-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.

We need the kind of coach that can adjust, relate to the players, teach players how to grow into better players, ACTUALLY play the players that give us the best chance to win depending on the situation, not personal opinion.

I do like Jim's strategy on defense. I actually do believe he does a good job there. However, there are very few poor defenders on the team compared to previous years. The fact Jim played Troy Murphy 32 minutes and sat Josh McRoberts last year tends to not be forgotten.

He's not a defensive-minded coach as much as he's a stretch-the-floor-on-offense coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    There's no difference. And in fact, good teams do this.

However, our problem is that JOB's default is "stretch the floor." As in, there's a problem in our offense..we need to stretch the floor.

Why did Troy play, we needed to stretch the floor.
    Why is Posey playing more, we need to stretch the floor.
    Why is Josh taking more threes, we need to stretch the floor.
    Why did AJ come in against Atlanta, to stretch the floor.

It's like he ignores anything else on the basketball court.

To be fair though, it may just be JOB's default answer, with his other one being "I thought those players give us the best chance to win."
    You know why Walter McCarty is a Pacer coach?

I suppose Jim likes to stretch the bench too.