View Poll Results: do you like the name

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • no way

    49 81.67%
  • its cool

    11 18.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

  1. #26
    Member huber14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Almost as bad as the Big Ten's new two divisions "legends" and "leaders"

  2. #27
    Member IndyHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about "Indiana Hoosiers"?
    Sounds like a good name to me!!!!

  3. #28
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    They should go with (back to) New York Nets IMO.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    It seems cheap. As if they thought, "How can we create a name that relates to our city or will create instant brand identification?" Ah! I've got it... The New Yorkers. It almost feels like the immitation version or generic brand of the Yankees.

    The big thing is, I don't know how you brand the name outside of New York. In fact, doesn't it alienate your former Nets fanbase? If the Pacers moved to Louisville or to [insert local major city] would you feel disconnected if they called the team, "The Blue Grass-ers" (I know, it's sad I don't have a better example).

    If I were a New York Knick, I'd take it as a challenge. It seems like they were just undermined as the team in New York City.


    My logo suggestion:


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems cheap. As if they thought, "How can we create a name that relates to our city or will create instant brand identification?" Ah! I've got it... The New Yorkers. It almost feels like the immitation version or generic brand of the Yankees.

    The big thing is, I don't know how you brand the name outside of New York. In fact, doesn't it alienate your former Nets fanbase? If the Pacers moved to Louisville or to [insert local major city] would you feel disconnected if they called the team, "The Blue Grass-ers" (I know, it's sad I don't have a better example).

    If I were a New York Knick, I'd take it as a challenge. It seems like they were just undermined as the team in New York City.


    My logo suggestion:

    For some reason your post totally cracked me up... Thanks for the laugh! Anyway, this reminds me of a cat that I once had and just named him "Kitty". Hicks told me that it was such a generic name that I should have just named him, "Brand-X"!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  8. #31

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Given the New York Mets and New York Jets, I don't know if I can say which is less original between the "Nets" and "New Yorkers". At least the "Nets" name has history... but if they really want that, I believe the Brooklyn Americans is available.

  9. #32
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    They're not even trying anymore, are they?

    Maybe they should have considered the Leaders or the Legends...oh, wait...

  10. #33
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about "Indiana Hoosiers"?
    That's more endearing than a nickname that reflects the name of a city and state. Has anybody found out what a Hoosier is yet?

  11. #34
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    They mint as well change their name to the brooklyn anthonys with a logo of his smiling face for as much as they are pursuing him.

  12. #35

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    i hate the houston texans name

    its just so generic do you guys agree

    i wish the texans would become the oilers i mean the titans dont own that name anymore since they changed it

    but come on theres professionals who can think of good names and logos

    a 2 year can think of this
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  13. #36
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i hate the houston texans name

    its just so generic do you guys agree

    i wish the texans would become the oilers i mean the titans dont own that name anymore since they changed it
    Actually, the Titans Franchise DOES own the moniker Oilers as the teams "intellectual property". Remember that franchise actually played in Memphis their first season away from Houston as the... Tennessee Oilers. The intellectual property rights just don't go away because the team doesn't publically use it anymore.

    I believe both the Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins both have legal claim to the moniker Washington Senators as they were both originally named that before moving to their respective locations.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  14. #37
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,414

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about "Indiana Hoosiers"?
    Not really the same thing, but I see your point.

  15. #38
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,414

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's more endearing than a nickname that reflects the name of a city and state. Has anybody found out what a Hoosier is yet?
    I believe it's an old, old wooden ship used during the Civil War era.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  17. #39
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: brooklyn new yorkers = new nets name

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe it's an old, old wooden ship used during the Civil War era.
    No...I think you're thinking of Diversity.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Nets to change name after moving to Brooklyn
    By Pacers2012 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
  2. Nets won't move to Brooklyn until 2010 at earliest [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM
  3. Jason Kidd "on strike" from Nets...
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
  4. Teams looking to trade for Jason Kidd (Insider)
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 06:07 PM
  5. 7-5 Nets Blueprint
    By Gyron in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •