Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

  1. #1
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz180cnQ6tY

    Lang Greene
    The Indiana Pacers organization has truly run the full spectrum of success and failure over the past twelve seasons. The team which only missed the playoffs once during the 1990s (1997) went from pushing the Los Angeles Lakers to six games in the 2000 NBA Finals to the club's current four season playoff drought.

    During this span numerous events led to club dropping out of the conversation of the Eastern Conference elite. Four different head coaches have patrolled the sidelines, the infamous brawl of 2004 and the retirement of future Hall of Fame guard and face of the franchise Reggie Miller were all driving factors.

    The revolving door at head coach represents a lack of stability which ultimately led to the club unsuccessfully searching for an on court identity over the past few years. The brawl robbed a team coming off a 60 plus win campaign the season before from reaching its full potential and their legitimate title aspirations. The brawl coupled with the retirement of the well respected Miller led to the franchise also searching to reestablish the identity of the team off the court in the community of Indiana.

    One player remains from the 2000 finals team that witnessed firsthand the rapid descent from legitimate title contention to postseason afterthoughts – veteran center Jeff Foster.

    Through 22 games the Pacers record stands at 11-11, which would be good enough to secure the Eastern Conference's seventh seed if the playoffs were to begin today. After going 104-142 over the past three years, Foster is thrilled about the team's start and outlook for the rest of the season.

    "It's great," Foster commented to HOOPSWORLD regarding the franchise getting back to its previous winning ways somewhat. "For the last four years we've been an offensive minded team. But I think the guys have figured out that to win games you have to play defense and we're doing that at a very high level right now. If we continue to do what we're doing we'll make the playoffs."

    Foster has spent his entire 12 season career wearing a Pacers uniform, with Indiana making the playoffs in the first seven. After being drafted by the Golden State Warriors in 1999, the center out of Texas State University was promptly shipped to the Pacers in exchange for shooting guard Vonteego Cummings and a 2001 first round pick which turned out to be current New Jersey Nets forward Troy Murphy.

    The veteran has also had the opportunity to play behind a diverse set of talented big men during his time in Indiana. During his rookie year he was able to battle and learn from now retired center Rik Smits. He was also able to observe the coming of age and All-Star level emergence of current Boston Celtics reserve Jermaine O'Neal.

    Now Foster is witnessing the coming out party for fourth year center Roy Hibbert. The youngster is averaging 14.8 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.9 blocks so far this season. Foster has little doubt that Hibbert has the goods to keep Indiana relevant in the league for a long time.

    "Roy is an extremely hungry individual. Today (Dec. 11) is his birthday and I didn't realize he's only 24. He looks like he's 27 or 28," Foster told HOOPSWORLD jokingly. "He's got a great work ethic. He's very devoted to his profession. You have a guy at 24 that can do what he's doing right now; hopefully he can continue doing it for a long period of time and it well bode well for the Indiana Pacers."

    Hibbert himself has applauded Foster for his level of physical conditioning in the past and has stated that Foster pushed him hard in that area so that he could become more active on both ends of the floor. This season Hibbert showed up to training camp down 20 pounds from the 2010 season.

    Circling back to the topic of age Foster will turn 34 years old in January and while the thoughts of retirement isn't a daily topic; Foster fully accepts his role as a veteran mentor and locker room role model as his career winds down.

    "I just take it day by day," commented Foster on the subject of retirement. "I try to be a shining board for the young guys and when it comes time to play, go out there and do what I've always done. "So I'm just enjoying being a part of this team and I'm just looking forward to getting the Indiana Pacers back into the playoffs again."

    Foster will be an unrestricted free agent next summer and having spent his whole career with one franchise its extremely clear that the veteran doesn't want to leave the organization that gave him the opportunity to lace up the high tops on the pro level.

    "It's extremely important," Foster told HOOPSWORLD on the significance of ending his career as a member of the Pacers organization. "I never thought about going anywhere else. Those thoughts have never even crossed my mind."

    "I guess in a way it's a scary thought," continued Foster in regards to the prospect of ever having to play elsewhere during his career. "But we'll see how things go the rest of the year and see what plays out with the lockout next year. But nothing would make me happier than to finish my career as a Pacer. So that's what I plan on doing and hopefully we'll be able to follow that through."

    Foster's per game averages aren't going to get him press on the front page of national magazines, but his presence in the Pacers' locker room shouldn't be underestimated. Being a link to the organization's past and currently excelling at mentoring the team's present youth movement may bode well when it's time to begin contract discussions in the near future.
    Last edited by Trophy; 12-13-2010 at 02:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,551

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Maybe Foster can be put on the Coaching Staff in some capacity. I appreciate all that he has done for the Organization...but unless he returns to his 2007-2008 form....then I wouldn't want to sign him to a new contract unless it was for the Vet minimum.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  3. #3
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Foster can be put on the Coaching Staff in some capacity. I appreciate all that he has done for the Organization...but unless he returns to his 2007-2008 form....then I wouldn't want to sign him to a new contract unless it was for the Vet minimum.
    Roy's said before that he learned a lot under Jeff so I think Jeff would make a great assistant coach here.

  4. #4
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    He could make that happen today. Wish he would.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  6. #5

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    I think Jeff would make a great TV guy for the Pacers, like in the role Croshere has now...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    10 - 32 - 50 31andonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,580

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    I became a Pacers fan at about the time when Foster was a rookie...I really hope he somehow stays within the organization.

    This guy is as classy as it gets, a true role model.

    If his body lets him, I'd have nothing against a new contract (only one or two years and only for the vets minimum). His defense against other big men still is and has always been very good. I'm sure the Pacers will need him as soon as they're back in the Playoffs.
    Thank you Jeff.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    If he has any intentions of playing beyond this year, he better not be retiring as a Pacer.

    If we give him another contract I will really question the front office's motivation to win.

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    All that I am going to say is that every team needs a Jeff Foster.

    And when he retires I believe that Josh or Tyler can take his spot.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 12-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.

  13. #9
    Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    611

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he has any intentions of playing beyond this year, he better not be retiring as a Pacer.

    If we give him another contract I will really question the front office's motivation to win.
    Thats trifling.. and thats all I'll say about it.

    Jeff has been as classy as it gets for us for over a decade now. If he wants to and is able to play (For US).. We've got to make it happen. I don't think it would even be about money anymore, lord knows we've given him more than enough IMO. But somewhere along the lines you do have to give back to the players that gave to you. And I hope thats what happens here.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

    Passion. Pride. Pacers.

    It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats trifling.. and thats all I'll say about it.

    Jeff has been as classy as it gets for us for over a decade now. If he wants to and is able to play (For US).. We've got to make it happen. I don't think it would even be about money anymore, lord knows we've given him more than enough IMO. But somewhere along the lines you do have to give back to the players that gave to you. And I hope thats what happens here.
    We gave him way more than we ever should have with the last contract extension. He isn't capable of giving anything more to the Pacers, and the Pacers owe him nothing more at this point.

    A time comes in every business relationship when it is time for one side or both sides to move on. With the Pacers and Jeff Foster, that time is here.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    He can barely move anymore.

    It's better for his health to call it a career after this season.

  18. #12

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats trifling.. and thats all I'll say about it.

    Jeff has been as classy as it gets for us for over a decade now. If he wants to and is able to play (For US).. We've got to make it happen. I don't think it would even be about money anymore, lord knows we've given him more than enough IMO. But somewhere along the lines you do have to give back to the players that gave to you. And I hope thats what happens here.
    The last contact extension was sufficient payback.....Just because Foster is likely done as a pacer does not mean he isn't now appreciated or will be appreciated by pacer fans for some time to come.

    This team has to put the best 15 players under contract that it can.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  20. #13

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We gave him way more than we ever should have with the last contract extension. He isn't capable of giving anything more to the Pacers, and the Pacers owe him nothing more at this point.

    A time comes in every business relationship when it is time for one side or both sides to move on. With the Pacers and Jeff Foster, that time is here.
    Why not just let that contract expire. Let him retire this season as a Pacer.

    If he still wants to play after this season, I think his mind and body are at different places. He's clearly not able to. But I don't think we need to trade him this season. We have plenty other expirings that are worth more.

  21. #14
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why not just let that contract expire. Let him retire this season as a Pacer.

    If he still wants to play after this season, I think his mind and body are at different places. He's clearly not able to. But I don't think we need to trade him this season. We have plenty other expirings that are worth more.
    That's exactly what I'm saying.

    There is no reason to even consider giving him another contract extension if he decides he wants to keep trying to play.

  22. #15
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he has any intentions of playing beyond this year, he better not be retiring as a Pacer.

    If we give him another contract I will really question the front office's motivation to win.
    You are going " Question", him no matter what he does. Good thing the Basketball Legend is the one running the team.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  24. #16
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Jeff is obviously not the same player he used to be, but he had a HUGE block on Dwight Howard @ Conseco a few weeks ago. I was totally surprised by it, too, because Jeff hasn't really been that shot-blocking type lol.

  25. #17
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    I am truly appalled that there are people out there, besides Jeff Foster's accountant, who think resigning him is a good idea.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 12-14-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  27. #18
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I truly appalled that there are people out there, besides Jeff Foster's accountant, who think resigning him is a good idea.
    It hurts to say it because I like Foster, but the guy isn't capable of playing half of the games on the schedule in the best case scenario. Best case, mind you. So, I have to agree fully. Even at league minimum he's a detriment because you could find someone capable of playing regularly.

    It was a good run Foster, but there's no way you're coming back if I'm in Bird's position.

  28. #19
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Foster: I want to retire a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are going " Question", him no matter what he does. Good thing the Basketball Legend is the one running the team.
    Why do you say that, because I'm a "hater?"

    Better than being a sheep.

Similar Threads

  1. One more reason to love Jeff foster
    By aceace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 03:09 AM
  2. Could Jeff Be a Key to Our Rebuilding Effort?
    By PacerGuy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 03:30 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 05:04 PM
  4. I want everyone's opinion on Jeff Foster
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 08:05 PM
  5. Year in review: Jeff Foster
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •