Thread: Scoring in the NBA

Default Scoring in the NBA

Scoring has obviously been down lately in the NBA, and it's possible (although probably not likely), that the NBA might change some rules to help boost scores back up. If this were to happen, which changes do you guys think should be made?

I think they'd be best off soing something subtle, like lowering the half-court 8 second violation.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re: Scoring in the NBA

4 point line.

RA231

Maybe making the shot clock a little longer and making a 10-second half court violation.

RA231

Maybe making the shot clock a little longer and making a 10-second half court violation.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They don't need to change any rules. Just enforce the ones that are already in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scoring has obviously been down lately in the NBA, and it's possible (although probably not likely), that the NBA might change some rules to help boost scores back up. If this were to happen, which changes do you guys think should be made?

I think they'd be best off soing something subtle, like lowering the half-court 8 second violation.
    A: What does it matter what the scores are?
    B: Perhaps if players could hit their free throws it would help?
    C: Perhaps if players would learn to shoot the basketball AND learn to take good shots it would help?

As far as (A) if the NBA wants higher scores they can just spot the team 10-20 points to start the game. Or, since they have such a hard on for highlight reel slams, give points for the degree of difficulty and showmanship.

I don't know why everybody is so hung up on the score. It isn't like we are watching soccer and waiting all afternoon to see a 1-0 game.

The only way the score should matter is if your team has more or less than the opponents. And one of the best ways to score more than the opponents is by LIMITING -their- scoring.

I'm all for calling all fouls and not using the number on the jersey to determine who is fouled or fouling. That would likely increase scoring. OTOH, calling palming and travels would probably lower the scores (and I am for calling those too).

IOW...Anything the NBA would do for the sole purpose of raising scores I am TOTALLY against.

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

More tickets sold and more $$$ for the NBA. The casual fan wants to a high scoring, up-tempo game, generally. And the NBA isn't exactly all that popular any more, compared to a few years back.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

When teams play good defense, I get woodies... The lower the score, the better. Under 70 and I get sweaty, under 60 and it's orgasmic!

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Quote Originally Posted by Bball

More tickets sold and more $$$ for the NBA. The casual fan wants to [see] a high scoring, up-tempo game, generally. And the NBA isn't exactly all that popular any more, compared to a few years back.
    I don't know that the casual fan wants a high scoring game.... or up tempo...

Actually, I think it is the simply a segment of the fanbase that likes NBA basketball for all the wrong reasons that worry so much about that.

I think what the casual fan probably wants is exciting and competitive games. And some probably would like to be able to understand the game better (IOW, see it called fairly and consistently).

Seems to me the Pacers vs Pistons did OK selling tix and TV ratings and those weren't high scoring or uptempo. OTOH, they were competitive and enjoyable.

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    They don't need to change any rules. Just enforce the ones that are already in effect.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

I also agree with Bball 100%. As I mentioned in another thread...Don't create new rule because the current rules are not being enforced!

The NBA in the late 70's early 80's was fast paced score fest and the league almost went bancrupt because of lack of interest.

In the name of scoring, didn't they move the 3 point arc up only to find that was a miserable failure!!!! NBA basketball is a beautiful game according to the rules...Lets enforce them!

[edit=29=1093863593][/edit]
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Zesty

I think the rules are fine now. If they want higher scoring games, make the quarters 15 min. each.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO, Casual fans want a close game, not a high scoring game. They just don't appreciate the nuanances that make a game competitive.

As somewhat of a purist, I just want the rules enforced as written. Then whatever happens, either higher or lower scores, is okay by me.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    4 point line.
    LOL....that reminds me of a quote I read from Antoine Walker the year before last. A reporter asked him how come he takes so many 3 pointers and he replied "Because they don't have any 4 pointers". That is just classic.

As far as rule changes....they just need to call the ones that are on the books already. Has anyone watched any pre-1988 games on ESPN classic???? That tells the whole story.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo