View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

Thread: What changes can be made to improve USA basketball in the Olympics?

Default What changes can be made to improve USA basketball in the Olympics?

I have a few suggestions, some fairly obvious but some not so.

I like option B, but Davis $tern and the player$ a$$ociation may have problem$ with $hortening the $ea$on even a little bit
    [edit=97=1093888706][/edit]
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: What changes can be made to improve USA basketball in the Olympics?

sorry I'm not so good at posting polls, but let me know what you think.

I believe that more practice time is essential, and the USA team needs to get creative in how to address the problem.

Hmmm... Hicks, can you edit out the choices "between" the choices?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I don't think we should use NBA players. We get beat by teams who have only a couple NBA players so why do we think we have to have a roster full of NBA players to beat them?

Have players sign a two year deal to play exclusively for a national team and have that team play using international rules.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Banned

You left off my first choice and that would be:

"Never pick Larry Brown to ever coach the Olympic team".

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Option A. Pick what you need, not what you think are the most spectacular or most popular players.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I picked a but at the very least a college coach - a GOOD college coach - needs to be on the staff, esp if we're gonna send a team full of "players who would be in college if they had gone/stayed 4 years."
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

If there's a way I can edit the poll to fix it, I don't see it...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Or John Thompson. That team in 1988 was even more embarrassing than this one; in part because the flaws of this team were well known, in advance of the Olympics.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy

Or John Thompson. That team in 1988 was even more embarrassing than this one; in part because the flaws of this team were well known, in advance of the Olympics.
    Good point. I have nauseating memories of those Olympics, also.

A slight modification to option A.

Pick 2 players at each position that play that position, not players that play that position only during the olympics.

Make sure you diversify the type of players at each position. a mix of a shooter and a slasher at the 2 guard, a passer and a scorer at the point guard and etc.

Also add 1 defensive guard and 1 defensive forward. Give the coach something to work with.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Different idea....
    Open Try-out!
    NBA players, College players, Other pro-players.

This way it leaves the door open for a guy like Ron Artest, Micheal Redd, Fred Hoiberg and so on to just walk in. Also, it takes the, "They selected me, and I don't want to go" out of it. I feel when some of these guys were selected, they knew right away that they didn't want to go, but would look like A-holes if they turned it down after what happened in 2002. Anyway, if a guy volunteers and goes to the tryout, he is less likely to back out!

After the try-out, you can fill in your skills out of the guys who came to the try-out.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I think instead of just selecting 12 players, they should invite 30 or so along to an Olympic selection camp. From there the coach/selectors could narrow that down to a team that works together.

Players that play on teams with decent team defense principals would also be a good start. Larry Brown really didn't manage to teach many of those guys to play team defense, all their best defensive stretches were with lots of ball pressure.

The types of players needed by the current team (suggestion):

Pass first PG (hmm...not sure Tins maybe?)
    Lights out SG (Micheal Redd)
    Defensive SF (Ron Artest)
    A backup PF/C with a mid range game (Brad Miller)