Thread: Iverson calls out NBA palyers who didnt go to Athens

Default Re: Iverson calls out NBA palyers who didnt go to Athens

I think it's unfair for some of these writers to continually bring up Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal as INJURIES were the catalyst in not playing and Kobe has something else going on which prevents him from playing. Some players (Ray Allen, others) said there were security concerns and that's like "Well, whatever". Maybe they had those concerns, maybe they didn't; that's not for me to say.

Banned

The committee likes to select NBA super stars and then hope public opinion forces them to accept.

This is what they should do it. 3 Months prior to these type of international games players should send in the forms saying they are available.....this would solve a whole lot of the issues we have now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's unfair for some of these writers to continually bring up Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal as INJURIES were the catalyst in not playing and Kobe has something else going on which prevents him from playing. Some players (Ray Allen, others) said there were security concerns and that's like "Well, whatever". Maybe they had those concerns, maybe they didn't; that's not for me to say.
    Yeah. But barring injuries or other unique circumstances, I think it's fair to toss a lot of the blame these players' way. With all they get paid, it should be a requirement to participate in the games if selected, once again, barring injuries or other unique circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by shade
    Yeah. But barring injuries or other unique circumstances, I think it's fair to toss a lot of the blame these players' way. With all they get paid, it should be a requirement to participate in the games if selected, once again, barring injuries or other unique circumstances.
    I don't think that's legal. Unless it's included in the CBA which the players association would oppose. I can't think of other professional sports that have compulsary participation either.

It isn't the NBA's job to win gold medals. I am sure owners are glad those who pulled out did.

If we had a full time national team we would not have this problem.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Banned

Shade,

Are runners or swimmers or any other type of athlete REQUIRED to participate? No.... this aint China or Russia. Why should basketball players be held to a different standard?

Like I said, the smart thing to do, the respectful thing to do, would be for the Olympic Committee to send out forms to all NBA and college players 3 months in advance. Then the players who want to play can return the forms saying that they would play if selected. Then the committee should choose from those players. Simple.

I like the idea of the forms or something similar. That way they can choose from a pool of players who WANT to go.

BTW... how would the NCAA champs do in the games? Intl competition now too 'professional' for college players or would a team that has played together for at least a season (if not more) be a match for the intls?

-Bball

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I would agree that a form for a player to declare himself willing and able would be great.

But beyond that, the system itself needs an overhaul. Almost every coach would want the power to choose his own team. But the folks on the selection committee will never completely turn over that power to the coach. And I doubt many NBA players would ever submit to anything resembling a tryout.

So I would say a compromise between coach and committee is in order.

Maybe the coach can select the first three players, the committe the next six, then the coach the final three players to fill in the voids in his roster.

My opinion is different than a lot of folks on our abiities to compete in the Olympics.

I agree with Iverson when he says that EVERY player should want to be on the team and compete. I don't agree with the implication that most have made we didn't win because we didn't have our best players competing.

In fact, I think it is possible for a team that doesn't even have one of the top 7 or 8 players on it to compete and win. You see, I think it is the combination of players rather than WHO is selected that is important.

If the roster isn't balanced and has 3-4 players unwilling to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team, then it's going to be a lot harder for the team to win.

But this year, if I were Larry Brown, I would have given up any of 4-5 guys on the roster to pick up Freddie Hoiberg and Ron Artest.

I think Artest could have helped immensely. Artest is able to totally lock down the vast majority of players he is assigned to guard.

I believe he could have put the shackles on Ginobli. An opponent would not have been able to defeat us with a single hot hand shooting from the perimeter.

We were missing perimeter shooters and defensive perimeter stoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    . . . it should be a requirement to participate in the games if selected . . .
    You need to rethink this!

Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    Shade,

Are runners or swimmers or any other type of athlete REQUIRED to participate? No.... this aint China or Russia. Why should basketball players be held to a different standard?

Like I said, the smart thing to do, the respectful thing to do, would be for the Olympic Committee to send out forms to all NBA and college players 3 months in advance. Then the players who want to play can return the forms saying that they would play if selected. Then the committee should choose from those players. Simple.
    Thsoe athletes don't make millions upon millions of dollars playing their sport. NBA players do.

All I'm saying is, the NBA should include a requirement, when a player signs a contract, that he should have to participate (if able) if selected. It's the least some of these guys can do for reaping the benefits of being able to play a game in this country.

I would be fine, however, with just taking volunteers and assembling a team from them. Though I think the selected coach should have full power of selection from those volunteers.

Banned

What does the amount of money you make have to do with anything? You make a lot of money so you use lose your right to choose what you want to do??? You lose your basic rights? You lose your freedom of choice? No way, man.

And besides, the NBA and the Olympics are two completely separate entities....they are not related in any way as institutions. There is no way that the NBA should be allowed to pimp their whores...er...players out to other institutions all in the name of more money. And while that is a very crude way of putting it, in reality that is exactly what you are proposing.

I think the title of the thread/piece characterizes the story falsely. I saw those quotes a couple days ago and I didn't see it as Iverson calling anyone out. It looks to me like he is giving his opinion on how to view the oportunity of going to the Olympics. He doesn't speak of anyone or any other point of view in the negative.

It reads more like the reporter is calling out the NBA players using Iverson's quotes. If thats not the case here (if Iverson was actually calling out the players) then the reporter should have included the statements where Iverson actually calls someone (or a group of "unamed players") out.