Thread: Pats rookie ILB Spikes suspended 4 games- took unapproved medication

Default Pats rookie ILB Spikes suspended 4 games- took unapproved medication

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...-illegal-drug/

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Sure the NFL banned drug list is long and includes a lot of stuff you can buy at CVS, but this is why you always go through the trainer.

http://www.nflplayers.com/About-us/R...ed-Substances/

I'm not sure if we will find out what it was. Doesn't matter, I guess, though if he is lying and it is steroids there would be concerns other than stupidity
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pats rookie ILB Spikes suspended 4 games- took unapproved medication

At least he didn't try to gouge a guy's eye out or anything........................................

oh wait..

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pats rookie ILB Spikes suspended 4 games- took unapproved medication

or get a DUI and pee on himself because he was so drunk, like the newest Colt

oh wait..
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Didn't Terry Glenn get wasted and pee in someone's car?

Cowboys starting wide receiver Terry Glenn was cited for public intoxication late Friday night after urinating behind a trash dumpster in West Oak Cliff, Dallas police said.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/10666953/

Not sure that any organization needs to take the rap for what ex-players do. Art Schlister, anyone?
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-10-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Or videotape another team's playcalling on the sidelines............

Yup I went there.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

or finally get caught cheating with "disconcerting signals"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...e=HP_event_tnf

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Slick, I thought you appreciated cheating...

By the way you do realize that a lot of the banned substances are because they are masking agents. Like there is steroids, stimulants and masking agents and that's 99% of the banned substances. The ban substances all revolve around performing enhancing drugs with exception of recreational drugs which he ruled out. Meaning he could have been taking steroids and tried to clear his system of them with diuretics. Also note he didn't say, "I bought some sudafed because I had the sniffles". Stupid me but I am sure everyone can understand my mistake."

We will probably never know but I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Its a performance base sport and that's what the league tests for.

Also didn't he film himself getting serviced by a female......

Zing..
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-11-2010 at 01:55 AM.

or get a DUI and pee on himself because he was so drunk, like the newest Colt

oh wait..
    Why even bring it up?

Man you guys act like all the non-Colts fans get a hard rap or something around here, but then you unnecessarily bring this up for no reason. You started the thread about Spikes, what did you expect people to come sprinting to his defense?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

And then immediately have everyone in the booth comment how that happens in every game and that it is ridiculous to call it...

If there is no video of him cheating, then it didnt happen imo.

Oh wait he plays for the Patriots...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    The ban substances all revolve around performing enhancing drugs with exception of recreational drugs which he ruled out
    Not true.

-My son takes two different medications for his intermittant asthma. He has flare-ups just a couple of times a year. Both are on the NFL banned list.

-Yesterday I took some Sudafed (Psudoephedrine) because I had a stuffy nose. It's on the list. You can use it as an NFL player but you have to have gotten it from a trainer and report its usage.

-Last month my daughter had bronchitus and was prescribed cough syrup containing codeine. It's on the banned list. Even some over-the-counter cough medications contain substances on the banned list.

-Some over-the-counter dietary supplements list "bitter orange" as a constituent. This is on the banned list.

I am not saying that these things shouldn't be on the list or defending this guy's stupid actions.
    It is every player's clear responsibility to understand the policy. I am merely providing several specific examples that directly contradict your assertion that banned substances all revolve around performing enhancing drugs with exception of recreational drugs. Most do, some do not. Some can be taken for reasons other than their intended use.

Maybe we will find out what he took. If, like Manny Ramierez, he took some female fertility agent then we will know the guy is a loser and a cheater. Otherwise he might be just stupid.

Why even bring it up?
    Yeah, in hindsight I regret trying to match the snarkiness of the comment I responded to. I shoulda let it lie there. People get all worked up about the angelic or demonic nature of a player based upon his uniform. Take Javarris James for example. He was wonderfull as a Colt, sprouted horns, hooves, and a tail during his stint as a Patriot, and now has reclaimed his halo!
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-11-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Not true.

-My son takes two different medications for his intermittant asthma. He has flare-ups just a couple of times a year. Both are on the NFL banned list.
    You have a lot to learn about muscle building and endurance training.
    ('The Effects of Clenbuterol on Skeletal and Cardiac Muscle of Rats when Combined with Aerobic and Anaerobic Exercise, ' Biochemistry of Exercise Ninth International Conference Abstracts, #117, p 75, )

Common drugs get abused because of their performance enhancing affect.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A Patriots player caught cheating? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tells ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post

You have a lot to learn about muscle building and endurance training...

Common drugs get abused because of their performance enhancing affect.
    Did I say otherwise, Mr. Know-It-All King of Rudeness?

No.

They can also be used, as intended, for perfectly legit reasons. There is also data to question the PED aspect of the most common inhalers

Asthma medications, especially quick-relief medications like albuterol, work by improving breathing capacity in an individual with asthma. Albuterol relaxes the smooth muscles around the breathing tubes (bronchi). If an asthmatic is wheezing, albuterol relaxes the tightened bronchial muscles and allows air to come in and out more easily. Any asthmatic knows that if they wheeze with exercise, they will wheeze less and be able to exercise better if they take a puff of albuterol.

So, one could ask whether a person without asthma might be able to further relax their bronchial muscles and increase their breathing capacity by taking albuterol. As it turns out, it doesn't work this way (at least by objective measures of lung function). If an asthmatic does a simple breathing test (spirometry) when they are not perfectly controlled, takes two puffs of albuterol, and repeats the spirometry 15 minutes later, there will typically be a significant improvement in breathing capacity (and the asthmatic will feel better!). A non-asthmatic going through the same sequence will not have an improvement in breathing capacity. So, technically, albuterol is not a performance-enhancing drug in a non-asthmatic.
    http://www.healthcentral.com/asthma/...nce-enchancers

clenbutrol has muscle effects lacking in other beta agonists due to two chlorine atoms that increase its lipid solubility 100-fold and allow it to be stored in fat and not excreted (half life 36 h vs. 1.6 hr. for albuterol) and also allow it to enter the brain, unlike albuterol. Tissue accumulation after prolonged usage along with brain exposure brings out the stimulant effect.

FYI: My job is as a professor of medicinal chemistry

update: He was taking a prescription medication for ADHD

http://www.csnne.com/12/11/10/Spikes...18&feedID=3946
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-11-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Did I say otherwise, Mr. Know-It-All King of Rudeness?

No.

They can also be used, as intended, for perfectly legit reasons. There is also data to question the PED aspect of the most common inhalers

http://www.healthcentral.com/asthma/...nce-enchancers

clenbutrol has muscle effects lacking in other beta agonists due to two chlorine atoms that increase its lipid solubility 100-fold and allow it to be stored in fat and not excreted (half life 36 h vs. 1.6 hr. for albuterol) and also allow it to enter the brain, unlike albuterol. Tissue accumulation after prolonged usage along with brain exposure brings out the stimulant effect.

FYI: My job is as a professor of medicinal chemistry

update: He was taking a prescription medication for ADHD

http://www.csnne.com/12/11/10/Spikes...18&feedID=3946
    I am not trying to be a know it all and maybe its just the carry over from the last thread... my apology.

I have worked in basic research for over a decade and I have worked with overexpressing beta receptor animals. I am not some ignorant poster that likes to be rude to medicinal chemist.

The plan logic of it all is simple. The NFL bans substances because they are either illegal (society looks down upon it) or are invovled in PE.

Why do you think NFL bans certain ADHD drugs. You think they have something against ADHD? You can go to most weight lifting forums and find guys talking about these drugs.

Hey maybe occams razor applies here. THe guy just might have ADHD and didn't put it down on his NFL medical report. Or he could have spent a very long time in the gym and picked up a few pointers from some teammates. By the way I believe there are ADHD drugs that aren't banned by the NFL.

I guess we will never know if he is guilty of purposefully cheating because we won't have all the facts... Something that also beneifits the NFL.

ITs not like the Pats haven't taken PED's before.

Rodney Harrison anyone.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-11-2010 at 06:46 PM.

ADHD drugs are stimulants. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that they are used in the combination with steroids. Not saying Spikes was doing that, but I can definitely see why the NFL would want to ban those.

Use your roids, pop a Ritalin, Focalin, or Adderall and you could lift for hours. It's basically controlled speed.

I've been wondering about this exact situation for a while now. Do they allow you to take Adderall if you have a prescription for it? I take Adderall for ADD and when you actually have the condition, they don't feel like an upper at all. It's more like the calming, focused feeling I get when I have a really nice cup of herbal tea.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Slick, that sounds really cool. I'm an English major but more and more I've been wondering about sometime studying medicinal biology or chemistry. It's all so fascinating! Where'd you do your grad work?

I went to graduate school initially at Yale (mid 1980s, when I became a Patriots fan- CT is 50-50 Patriots vs. Giants,the Colts had just "mayflowered"). My advisor was denied tenure and he moved to Washington State so I took a masters degree and then transferred "home" to Indiana-Bloomington, finishing my Ph.D there them did a brief postdoc stint at MIT (more New England).

I was in the pharmaceutical industry for 12 yrs but got frustrated with moves, mergers, layoffs, etc. and moved to academia 5 years ago. Fund raising (i.e grant writing) is tough but all other aspects are much preferable. Industrial chemistry research has suffered from outsourcing to Asia. Biology less so, but the pharma industry remains very unstable. At the time I left pharma for academia, I turned down a much higher salary to go to Wyeth, which is now gone, closed early this year by Pfizer. If I had chosen that route I'd probably be unemployed despite a 11 years of college/grad school/postdoc work and 12 years in industry. I escaped at the right time.

That's really cool. I think I would like to work in bio if I did it, but I'm still a long way away from even apply to grad school for a science degree. Have to finish undergrad, and then I'd have to go back and do the undergrad prereqs for a bio degree, which is something I won't be able to do right away. . .

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    ADHD drugs are stimulants. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that they are used in the combination with steroids. Not saying Spikes was doing that, but I can definitely see why the NFL would want to ban those.

Use your roids, pop a Ritalin, Focalin, or Adderall and you could lift for hours. It's basically controlled speed.
    Adderall is a racemic mixture of amphetamine salts. It is speed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks Spikes for continuing the cheating tradition! You make Rodney Harrison proud!
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope