Thread: Artest May Donate 10-11 Salary To Charity

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Artest May Donate 10-11 Salary To Charity

Dec 08, 2010 4:40 PM EST
    Lakers forward Ron Artest is thinking about donating at least half of his 2010-11 salary to benefit mental health awareness.

Artest will make $6.79 million next season.

"I'm definitely considering the whole thing," Artest said. "Or maybe 60 percent."

Artest has already decided to give away his 2010 championship ring in an online raffle to raise funds and increase awareness of mental-health issues in schools.

Artest called the salary plan "very serious. I've talked to my wife about it already. It's a powerful message. The message is about the inspiration. That's what I want, to inspire people. People will be like, 'Wow. Why is he doing this? Oh, that's why. Wow. We need to help educate.' I didn't come [to the Lakers] for the money. Obviously I could have gone somewhere else, even a lesser market. Pay less taxes. The taxes here are freaking killing me, you know what I'm saying?"

Via Scott Howard-Cooper/NBA.com

Los Angeles Lakers

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...#ixzz17cseazS8

Banned

Default Re: Artest May Donate 10-11 Salary To Charity

Nice thought.
    Bet he ends up like Mike Tyson............

Gotta Play Big

That might be money well spent. I just hope we don't read about Ron 10 years from now and wish he'd invested it.

Mood

Ron has really turned it around. Here's a guy who's trying his best to change his image, and he's doing a great job of it! I'm still a fan!
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pianoman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron will be flat broke a few years after he retires, it's almost a certainty.

Seeing that 60% of former NBA players go broke five years after retiring. Yes, it's unbelievable stupidity with the kind of money they make.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I love Artest. Ya'll will think I'm as crazy as he is, but he has great character. Not many people can say they grew up in the type of neighborhood he did and manage to overcome it. A lot of athletes who grew up in that enviorment bring it with them, Artest has seemingly put it all behind him. Everybody out there makes mistakes, the fact that Artest has learned from his and used his past to help make a better future for others is awesome.

I forgave Artest a long time ago, but he's now becoming one of my favorite players in the NBA again.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I think this is a noble effort on Ron's part, but my understanding was that he had spent all of the money in his contract extension prior to his free agent deal with the Lakes and that the Laker deal was supposed to provide him with the comfort for retirement. Let's hope he doesn't end up like Antoine Walker or someone else.

My favorite story was years ago when Mark Pope played for the Pacers he used to take his per diem money (for food expenses on the road -- around $100 day) and would stick it in a shoebox. At the end of the month, he would use the cash to pay his rent on his Indy apartment and lived very modestly. I guess he used to eat at reasonable restaurants while on the road and was able to pocket the rest. When you figure NBA players spent 10 or say days a month on the road, this can quickly add up.

Also, I read a few months ago that Gordon Hayward bought a new car with his NBA riches ....a Honda Accord.