Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Jermaine lead the Pacers to a title by 2010?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Can Jermaine lead the Pacers to a title by 2010?

Will Jermaine O'Neal lead the Pacers to an NBA championship during his 126 million dollar contract? If he doesn't he was not worth the money.

When you pay a player 126 million, you're paying him to win you a championship. Everyone knows that Jermaine will always be a 20/10/2 block guy in the regular season, which is nice and all, but he is getting 126 million dollars. The only way you can validate a 126 million dollar contract is if you lead a team to a championship.

The Pacers will never have a team that is so deep at every position like the Pistons, because they have Jermaine signed to a 126 million dollar contract. So in order for the Pacers to beat the Pistons in a series, Jermaine is going to have to rise up to the next level and lead the team to victory. 126 million is a boatload to pay, and means that the Pacers don't have as much flexibility as other teams. Jermaine getting 126 million makes me believe that him and management think that he can lead the Pacers to a title.

61 wins...central division banners....those don't mean anything at all. You don't pay a guy to lead you through the reg season, it's all about the playoffs. If Jermaine never leads the Pacers to a championship, signing him to 126 million wasn't worth it.

I know that J.O. is a player that will always rack up big stats in the reg season, and I know he was injured in the playoffs, but I still have my doubts to whether he can lead the Pacers to an NBA title.

Default Re: Can Jermaine lead the Pacers to a title by 2010?

I don't think Pacer management is looking at it quite the same way you are.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers will never have a team that is so deep at every position like the Pistons, because they have Jermaine signed to a 126 million dollar contract.
    Most Pistons fans I know say they are mad about the Pacers having more depth. Don't know where you got this. Don't worry the Pistons gave up their 3 best guys off the bench for old guys who miss games and young guys who need more time to develop. Plus we added perimeter shooting to get around their powerhouse defense. 2005 is our year.

A player can be worth a max contract without winning a championship.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

The Pacers are not as deep as the Pistons are. The Pistons have a very good center, pf, sf, sg, and pg, and a very deep bench.

How else can you justify paying a player 126 million over 7 years if he doesn't win a title?

Sorry, double post
    [edit=117=1093798507][/edit]

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Jermaine will eventually lead us to a title I think.I really do think 05 is our year.I am one to never act cocky about my teams and say they are going to win it all.But after last year and the experience we got in the postseason(Keep in mind last year was the first year our group of players were deep in the playoffs besides Reg and Cro and JB)I really think 05 is our year.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    The Pacers are not as deep as the Pistons are. The Pistons have a very good center, pf, sf, sg, and pg, and a very deep bench.

How else can you justify paying a player 126 million over 7 years if he doesn't win a title?
    No they have depth in PF and C, but lack depth in the rest. Which allows us to exploit the perimeter.

MZahm

Could you justify allowing him to leave by offering anything less than the max?

How deep the Pacers and Pistons are depends a lot on how Bender, Pollard, Delfino, McDyess and Coleman play.

If you're talking about proven commodities, we've got JO, Artest, SJax, Reggie, Tinsley, Foster, Croshere, Anthony Johnson and Fred Jones. They have Ben, Sheed, Prince, Rip, Chauncey, Campbell and Hunter. I don't see any huge disparity between the two groups.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that JO will lead us to a championship before his contract is up. I'm actually pretty confident that 2005 will be our year so long as no chemistry issues or major injuries crop up.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MZahm
    Could you justify allowing him to leave by offering anything less than the max?

How deep the Pacers and Pistons are depends a lot on how Bender, Pollard, Delfino, McDyess and Coleman play.

If you're talking about proven commodities, we've got JO, Artest, SJax, Reggie, Tinsley, Foster, Croshere, Anthony Johnson and Fred Jones. They have Ben, Sheed, Prince, Rip, Chauncey, Campbell and Hunter. I don't see any huge disparity between the two groups.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that JO will lead us to a championship before his contract is up. I'm actually pretty confident that 2005 will be our year so long as no chemistry issues or major injuries crop up.
    I agree that 2005 is our year.As long as no injuries happen we should be fine.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I understand that J.O. would have left had we not offered him the max, I know we really didn't have a choice. I'm just saying, the only way he is 100 percent worth 126 million dollars is if he leads us to a title.

Max players can be worth their contract without winning a title. At least with JO here, we have a chance to win one, where without him we don't.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

A player gets the max for being a top player and putting his team in contention to win a championship. If a player got the max for winning the championship the only max players I can name are Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan and Shaq. Whose is the max player on the pistons?

This whole discussion is slightly skewed because "the max" is a recent development. JO would have gotten more than the max if there were no max. In reality the top players are worth more than the Max.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't worry the Pistons gave up their 3 best guys off the bench for old guys who miss games and young guys who need more time to develop. Plus we added perimeter shooting to get around their powerhouse defense. 2005 is our year.

First of all, if you just flat-out assume that MCDyess is going to miss games, then you have to assume the same for the only quality big you have left on the Bench, Jon "brittle" Bender.

Secondly, you added perimeter shooting at the GUARD position, which we're plenty used to. We had to go through Michael Redd, Kobe Bryant and Kerry Kittles, all of whome are very good 3-point shooters. Stephen Jackson isnt exactly anything we havent seen.

The only way you're going to draw out our defense is if you have BIG MEN that can shoot from the outside, and if that means you're counting on once-every-5-games croshere, or Jon Bender, who isnt big enough to play the 4 yet, thats trouble.

You can have as many shooters at the 1-2-3 spots as you want, thats not a huge deal.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

TO awnser the original question, yes, I do think JO will lead the pacers to a title before 2010....

........sometime after Ben and Sheed get fitted for their 3rd and 4th rings.......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Don't worry the Pistons gave up their 3 best guys off the bench for old guys who miss games and young guys who need more time to develop. Plus we added perimeter shooting to get around their powerhouse defense. 2005 is our year.

First of all, if you just flat-out assume that MCDyess is going to miss games, then you have to assume the same for the only quality big you have left on the Bench, Jon "brittle" Bender.

Secondly, you added perimeter shooting at the GUARD position, which we're plenty used to. We had to go through Michael Redd, Kobe Bryant and Kerry Kittles, all of whome are very good 3-point shooters. Stephen Jackson isnt exactly anything we havent seen.

The only way you're going to draw out our defense is if you have BIG MEN that can shoot from the outside, and if that means you're counting on once-every-5-games croshere, or Jon Bender, who isnt big enough to play the 4 yet, thats trouble.

You can have as many shooters at the 1-2-3 spots as you want, thats not a huge deal.

Keep on being delusional

Face it your team traded away depth all around for PF, and C. And now any team with a strong perimeter will kick your ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness

Keep on being delusional

Face it your team traded away depth all around for PF, and C. And now any team with a strong perimeter will kick your ***.

Bhagdad Bob returns

So tell me, since you know more about my team than I do, who was our backup SG last yar?

How about our backup SF?

Did we have ANY natural SGs or SFs on our roster last year? Where exactly is this "all around depth" you spoke of? I guess it looked a lot more impressive to you than it did to me...

What contributions if ANY did Mike james, Corliss, and Okur make in the playoffs? Bonus question: how many minutes did Mike James even PLAY? How does one become a top-8 player if one is the THIRD-string PG, btw?

I'll be waiting to see what kind of story you try to drum up.

In the meantime, I'll say this:

YOU LOST PRIMOZ AND SIGGY! YOUR TEAM IS DOOMED, THEY WERE GREAT ALL AROUND PLAYERS, YAAAAAAAAH!

Just doing a likewise imitation of you...

Pay no attention to those detroit dogs! Okur and Williamson were great players! McDyess is nothing! The infadels are being destroyed as we speak! Pacers forever!

[edit=64=1093816858][/edit]
    [edit=64=1093817214][/edit]

canyoufeelit

TO awnser the original question, yes, I do think JO will lead the pacers to a title before 2010....

........sometime after Ben and Sheed get fitted for their 3rd and 4th rings.......
    Now now, the Pistons are pretty much all in their respective "primes" and it would be reasonable to expect that their window to win more championships is about 4 years and by then Ben and Rasheed will be older and in the twilight of their careers. It is pretty reasonable to expect the Pacers to surpass them and everybody else unless a new dominant team in the East emerges.

...unless you expect Darko to pan out

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit

Now now, the Pistons are pretty much all in their respective "primes" and it would be reasonable to expect that their window to win more championships is about 4 years and by then Ben and Rasheed will be older and in the twilight of their careers. It is pretty reasonable to expect the Pacers to surpass them and everybody else unless a new dominant team in the East emerges.

...unless you expect Darko to pan out
    .....and of course I do.

I think Larry did a good job of showing that ANYBODY can look bad in 2 minutes oer game of action...just ask Lebron James.......

As soon as either Ben or Sheed gets up there in age (they will be 30 this year, not exactly old), Darko will be ready to take the reigns and keep the pistons contending.

Delusional, to the point of ignoring logic

Thats all you have to say?

I'd rather be delusional than make snide, 3rd-grade statements with absoultely NOTHING to back them up....

Um...err.....I......well YOURE WRONG, and thats it! Pacers in 2005, whooooo! Pistons suck!

Can someone PLEASE help this kid out, I was kinda bored and I wanted at least SOME kind of rebuttal, wrong or other wise......

[edit=64=1093818746][/edit]

MZahm

You can't compare Lebron playing limited mins over a half a dozen games to Darko playing limited mins over an entire season. Not that I've written Darko off, but I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that he could grow into a player who could adequately replace Ben. He just seems awfully soft, and I can't recall any player improving drastically in that department.

And it's not like all the teams Detroit played were totally healthy and the Pistons dominated them. They got past New Jersey by the skin of their teeth even with Kidd hobbled especially during the last few games. They beat the Pacers 4-2, with JO and Tinsley limited in a series where in 4 games, the result was decided by one or two final possessions. The only team they destroyed was LA, and they didn't have Malone after game 2. Not that Malone would have made too much difference, but the series would have looked less lop-sided if he had played. The reason people are so high on Detroit is because they beat an LA team that was hyped out of all proportion.

Detroit's a great team, but there isn't even any reason to suppose that they'd have beaten last year's Pacers if both teams were at full health. This year's Pacers look more balanced, and they should improve internally more than Detroit will because their core players are younger. If both teams get solid play from their question mark players I don't see anything to choose between them. Of course I'm a Pacer fan so I'd say that the Pacer's would edge them in a series.

I have already typed a rebuttal you ignored it. Like a common troll.

Thats all you have to say?

I'd rather be delusional than make snide, 3rd-grade statements with absoultely NOTHING to back them up....

Um...err.....I......well YOURE WRONG, and thats it! Pacers in 2005, whooooo! Pistons suck!

Can someone PLEASE help this kid out, I was kinda bored and I wanted at least SOME kind of rebuttal, wrong or other wise......

I'm kinda bored too. Let's see - Ben gets injured when his hair gets caught in the net, tearing his scalp out.

Prince and Rip fit themselves into one suit to enter a pro wrestling match as a two-headed, four-armed, 280 lb contender and get hurt ...

Eldon Campbell begins eating the entire buffet at the pre-game meals and you run out of energy in 4th quarters ...

On a serious note, other than injuries which nobody can predict your biggest problem will be if Rasheed gets bored and goes whacko on you.

As for a title this year, I see 4 teams in the mix - amazingly, two are from the EC: Detroit, Indy, Minn and the Spurs. IMO we could call off the season and start the Conf finals with those 4, barring injuries or a big Miami trade where they get more depth.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I have already typed a rebuttal you ignored it. Like a common troll.
    .......so your rebuttal was "um, err, youre wrong"?