Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IU to name Kevin Wilson next head coach

Default IU to name Kevin Wilson next head coach

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...069/SPORTS0601

After six hours of interviews in Indianapolis Monday, Indiana University athletic director Fred Glass got his man.

University of Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson will be named the new IU football coach today at a 4 p.m. press conference in Bloomington, according to a person close to the Indiana football program.

Wilson replaces Bill Lynch, who was fired Nov. 28 one day after leading IU over Purdue in the Old Oaken Bucket game. Lynch was 19-30 in four seasons as the IU head coach.

The news Monday night came just an hour after Wilson had met with reporters at an airport in Norman, Okla., confirming that he had been interviewed but saying that no job had been offered.

Earlier in the evening, an Oklahoma television station, quoting sources close to the Oklahoma program, had said Wilson was taking the IU job.

Wilson told Oklahoma beat reporters in the early evening that he spent the day in Indianapolis and never made it down to Bloomington. He said there was interest on both sides but that the job hadn’t yet been offered.

“I talked to them,’’ Wilson told The Oklahoman. “We’ll see where it goes. Nothing’s final yet.’’

Sources say negotiations continued later in the day.

Wilson has had great success in leading Oklahoma’s high-powered offenses.
    Interesting hire. Offensive Coordinator from a big time program. Might work out, might not. I like the thought process. Let's hope he learned quite a few things from Stoops

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IU to name Kevin Wilson next head coach

I like it.

Unfortunately, he'll likely be doomed to the same fate as every other coach. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think there's many people that can save IU football.

83 points? 83 POINTS? Come on now, you've got to be kidding me.

IU football is laughable. I'm not a huge IU fan, but I sure hope this guy is ready for some rough times.

Here's to your success, Mr. Wilson!
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, he'll likely be doomed to the same fate as every other coach. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think there's many people that can save IU football.

83 points? 83 POINTS? Come on now, you've got to be kidding me.

IU football is laughable. I'm not a huge IU fan, but I sure hope this guy is ready for some rough times.

Here's to your success, Mr. Wilson!
    One game? ONE GAME?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    One game? ONE GAME?
    Still, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Edinburgh football, but they're arguably the worst team in HS football in Indiana.

They have gotten their a**es wooped a lot of times, but they don't even give up 83 points. And they play with less than 20 players. They play both sides of the ball.

I understand Wisconsin is good, but what the f**k were they doing?

Hell, they barely won a Big Ten game. I don't know how you fix that. I sure hope he's a hell of a coach.

Trust me, I'd love to see them succeed. But it's not looking likely. Big time in state talent doesn't want to play for them. Last big time player (Morgan Newton, Carmel) bolted as quick as he could for Kentucky.

They recruit in state kids, but just none that are going to change the program.

IU basketball I feel is in good hands. Indiana kids and out of state kids alike want to go there to play basketball. But no one in their right minds wants to play football there.

The only thing I can be excited about for IU is change. He's never been a college head coach. He's had outstanding players at OU, so how does anyone know he's any good. His coaching record shows an 0-10 record as HS coach. Granted, they can't recruit. But I'm not sure what there is to get that excited over.
    Last edited by Psyren; 12-07-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Still, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Edinburgh football, but they're arguably the worst team in HS football in Indiana.

They have gotten their a**es wooped a lot of times, but they don't even give up 83 points. And they play with less than 20 players. They play both sides of the ball.

I understand Wisconsin is good, but what the f**k were they doing?

Hell, they barely won a Big Ten game. I don't know how you fix that. I sure hope he's a hell of a coach.

Trust me, I'd love to see them succeed. But it's not looking likely. Big time in state talent doesn't want to play for them. Last big time player (Morgan Newton, Carmel) bolted as quick as he could for Kentucky.

They recruit in state kids, but just none that are going to change the program.

IU basketball I feel is in good hands. Indiana kids and out of state kids alike want to go there to play basketball. But no one in their right minds wants to play football there.
    Wisconsin hung 70 points on Northwestern (I think, regardless, it was some Big Ten team) two weeks later. They ran up the score a lot this season. Not that big of a deal.

Yeah, Indiana football is always going to be an uphill battle. I see no reason why we always have to suck though. We have upgraded our facilities, we play (and looks like we will play) in a high octane offense that is exciting to watch, and our attendance is up. Lots to like there. I think with the right coach we can have 7-9 win seasons routinely. Is it a tough job? Absolutely, probably the toughest in the Big Ten, but it's certainly not impossible.

Wisconsin hung 70 points on Northwestern (I think, regardless, it was some Big Ten team) two weeks later. They ran up the score a lot this season. Not that big of a deal.

Yeah, Indiana football is always going to be an uphill battle. I see no reason why we always have to suck though. We have upgraded our facilities, we play (and looks like we will play) in a high octane offense that is exciting to watch, and our attendance is up. Lots to like there. I think with the right coach we can have 7-9 win seasons routinely. Is it a tough job? Absolutely, probably the toughest in the Big Ten, but it's certainly not impossible.
    I think we can agree on that I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade at all. I wish them nothing but success.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

A coordinator can't fix this program. You would have to somehow get a semi-big name head coach to come here, and it's just never going to happen.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-07-2010 at 11:02 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TJ, did you mean can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    A coordinator can fix this program. You would have to somehow get a semi-big name head coach to come here, and it's just never going to happen.
    I think, as Pig Nash pointed out, that you meant "can't". I entirely agree. This program needs a big name coach IMO. Until that happens, they will be doomed to mediocrity and sub-mediocrity.

The only reason I know IU Football exists is because of Nick Zachery from Sheridan.

I think, as Pig Nash pointed out, that you meant "can't". I entirely agree. This program needs a big name coach IMO. Until that happens, they will be doomed to mediocrity and sub-mediocrity.
    Why would any big name coach ever come here? It makes no sense. We are a stepping stone program in football, plain and simple. Going for a top coordinator makes perfect sense. As a high-major, BCS school, we will generally have our pick of the litter of top coordinators for coaches. We get them, and hopefully they work out, and if they do well enough, they will probably move on to bigger and better things. IU basketball coach is a destination job. IU football coach is a stepping stone job. They will likely never get a big name coach, and I'm fine with that. They don't need it. They just need someone hungry who wants to make a name for himself.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did nobody anywhere explain to the AD what happened the last time IU plucked a coach from Oklahoma?

"I'm your huckleberry"

What I don't get is that every other team in the Big 10 has at least a decent team every 5-7 years. Why can't IU? Northwestern has a decent team every few years and they don't have a legend at head coach. Illinois has had success and their current coach was ran out of Gainesville on a rail for bringing the Gators down to mediocrity. I just can't see why IU's ceiling is 6 wins, with 5 of them being against various blind schools.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

In the late 80s Wisconsin played before empty stadiums and was a doormat in Big Ten football until an incredible hire (and relative unknown) named Barry Alvarez changed the whole perception of Wisconsin football, and permanently. His first 3 seasons were losing ones, though. But he had a vision and recruited like crazy. Moreover the university paid market salaries, fixed the facilities, improved the stadium, and generally decided that football is too much of a potential money-maker for any university to discard it as a developable asset.

It also sounds crazy, but more top students will apply because they have heard of your school in sports. My wife's job is in higher education management, and she has interviewed the admissions people/registrars at Butler. What was the impact of making the final four? Money, sure. Pride, sure. A veritable flood of quality new student applications? 100% for sure. More donations from alums? 100% for sure.

From 1972-1994 Northwestern was worse, way worse, than IU is now or Wisconsin was in 1990, and for a lot longer... they lost more than 30 in a row. Gary Barnett turned it around and others kept it up once the whole image was changed.

With Nebraska aboard, Penn State, solid programs at Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State it is no longer OSU, Michigan, and "others" so the task will be harder to go from the bottom even to the middle. I wanted to take a chance on Leach, the former Texas Tech coach, because of his track record.

I hope it's a good hire. It's not an easy job and he needs to change the whole image of IU football. He does have some things to work with-- I guess the facilities are now state-of-the-art, Bloomington has a lot of charm, and he has coached up a lot of good players at OU.

He needs to keep all the best recruits, bring in a few more at the last minute, keep things taped together for 2-3 years, and then we will find out.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    TJ, did you mean can't?
    Yeah, that's what I meant sorry. fixed.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    What I don't get is that every other team in the Big 10 has at least a decent team every 5-7 years. Why can't IU? Northwestern has a decent team every few years and they don't have a legend at head coach.
    Northwestern was the definition of doormat in football for years and years, and then the turnaround came after they hired an offensive coordinator from a successful Big 8 (now Big 12) school.

So...I guess in his last head coaching gig he went 0-10?

Sounds like a no nonsense and intense guy...I like this hire from what I've seen/heard so far. Hope it all works out. It's hard watching my fav college fb team lose every week.

So...I guess in his last head coaching gig he went 0-10?
    In high school, in 1989. Not sure you can take anything from that.

In high school, in 1989. Not sure you can take anything from that.
    Thanks for clarifying. I just saw a blurb that said that, and I was like WTF

Thanks for clarifying. I just saw a blurb that said that, and I was like WTF
    Yeah I saw people posting about it on Peegs and had the same initial reaction.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ws|text|Sports

Looks like you guys are getting some good assistants. Can't say I'm too pleased to see Hagen go.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ws|text|Sports

Looks like you guys are getting some good assistants. Can't say I'm too pleased to see Hagen go.
    The DC from New Mexico worries me. I realize he is a Mallory, but his track record at UNM was pretty pathetic.

Mood

Brent Pease backs out on IU and returns to Boise State to become their offensive coordinator instead. He had been the wide receivers coach there, and after Pease had been announced to come to IU, Boise State's offensive coordinator took a job elsewhere, opening up the job for Pease.

I don't think it will be that big of a loss for IU, but I was looking forward to seeing him in a Cream and Crimson houndstooth hat at Memorial Stadium this fall.