Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 79

Thread: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

  1. #26
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,258

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would argue that the injury situation of three years ago was worse.

    Tarik Glenn retired right before the season. He our pro bowl LG that Manning had played with his entire year.

    Harrison went down in late September and never returned. That's a guy Manning relied on his whole career.

    Freeney went down in the San Diego game and was out for the season.

    That season we compensated. This season we haven't been able to.
    He was our pro bowl left tackle not our left guard.

    It is really hard to blame the coaching staff for this entire mess. I know it has been beat to death, but we have suffered an insane amount of injuries this year and that has really limited what this team can do offensively and defensively.

    Defensively we have reverted back more to the bend but do not break philosophy because we have lost two out of three starting linebackers for a good amount of time, we lost our starting SS and then we lost his back up as well. Our two starting corners have missed some time and one just got put on IR. So you are not going to run a more aggressive system with back ups and free agents you sign off the street.

    Offensively we are really crippled without Clark and Collie. Losing Clark shows how important he really is to this offense. He is truly Peyton safety valve out there. Sure last year we could not run the ball, but that was covered up by a pretty healthy receiving core. Now that we are missing Clark and Collie the lack of a running game makes things that much worse.

    I do not think Caldwell is a great coach, but I do not think he will run this team in the ground either.

  2. #27
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    I know technically Welker is an undrafted FA, but let's not forget that he was a damn good reciever in Miami, and he was a FA signing by the Pats to get an established name. They shouldn't get credit saying they took a no name reciever and ran with him. They got a guy who had already made his name and showed the entire league he was worthy before he ever landed in Mass.

    To sum it up, he's no Blair White.

    -To Adam-

    I'd trade Harrison for Clark any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Freeney
    And Glenn wasn't an injury, so he can't be included in the discussion. They had an entire offseason to find a replacement and work with him to get him ready. They're making these adjustments on the fly, this season which is a hell of a lot harder to do.

    While more big names, as opposed to the entire NFL were lost 3 years ago, this is by far the worst season they've had injury wise. Losing Clark hurt Manning big time, but losing Collie who is his next possession reciever makes it even worse.

    That's the problem. The Colts don't have that reciever who can read the zone and sit down for a 5-8yd gain. Against Dallas when Manning threw one of his INTs him and Blair White jogged off the field together and I could clearly read Peyton's lips and he said "No God damnit" then when you see the replay you see that Peyton wanted to deliever the ball into the inside but Blair faked and went outside. It caused Peyton to actually pump fake and then throw the out route which was picked. That's a cause of the double read system. Manning is having a hard time with his recievers because they aren't making the right reads against the defense. He doesn't know what his recievers are going to do and it's causing him to not make the throws he wants and should make, it's also causing him to stare at recievers and throw the ball late. Defenses are eating it up, obviously.

    With Reggie/Dallas/Austin he knows he's on the same page as them. He can make his read and throw the ball before they make their break and before they even turn their head around. We've seen more bad throws, and I mean off target throws, out of Peyton this year than I can remember ever watching him make. Probably going back to his rookie or second/third year in the league.

    I don't think he's the one confused. Ultimately he's the one in charge of taking care of the football, so the picks are on him, but it's a guessing game out there on what his recievers are going to do.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know technically Welker is an undrafted FA, but let's not forget that he was a damn good reciever in Miami, and he was a FA signing by the Pats to get an established name. They shouldn't get credit saying they took a no name reciever and ran with him. They got a guy who had already made his name and showed the entire league he was worthy before he ever landed in Mass.

    To sum it up, he's no Blair White.

    -To Adam-

    I'd trade Harrison for Clark any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Freeney
    And Glenn wasn't an injury, so he can't be included in the discussion. They had an entire offseason to find a replacement and work with him to get him ready. They're making these adjustments on the fly, this season which is a hell of a lot harder to do.

    While more big names, as opposed to the entire NFL were lost 3 years ago, this is by far the worst season they've had injury wise. Losing Clark hurt Manning big time, but losing Collie who is his next possession reciever makes it even worse.

    That's the problem. The Colts don't have that reciever who can read the zone and sit down for a 5-8yd gain. Against Dallas when Manning threw one of his INTs him and Blair White jogged off the field together and I could clearly read Peyton's lips and he said "No *** damnit" then when you see the replay you see that Peyton wanted to deliever the ball into the inside but Blair faked and went outside. It caused Peyton to actually pump fake and then throw the out route which was picked. That's a cause of the double read system. Manning is having a hard time with his recievers because they aren't making the right reads against the defense. He doesn't know what his recievers are going to do and it's causing him to not make the throws he wants and should make, it's also causing him to stare at recievers and throw the ball late. Defenses are eating it up, obviously.

    With Reggie/Dallas/Austin he knows he's on the same page as them. He can make his read and throw the ball before they make their break and before they even turn their head around. We've seen more bad throws, and I mean off target throws, out of Peyton this year than I can remember ever watching him make. Probably going back to his rookie or second/third year in the league.

    I don't think he's the one confused. Ultimately he's the one in charge of taking care of the football, so the picks are on him, but it's a guessing game out there on what his recievers are going to do.

    Glenn retired in late July right before training camp, so they did not have an entire off-season to prepare. His retirement had the same effect as a season ending injury in training camp. It's not like he retired immediately after the Super Bowl giving us all off-season to compensate/prepare. I'd say the situation his retirement put us in caused to us to make a quick, unanticipated adjustment on the fly. We had to immediately give the role to Ugoh, a rookie, when our plan had been for him to learn under Glenn. Diem was also hurt some that year, adding to the 0-Line woes.

    Granted, Polian did try to prepare for the day Glenn wouldn't be around with the trading of the 08 first rounder for Ugoh, which was obviously a complete misfire in hindsight.

    And I'd take Harrison over Clark in a heartbeat. In Tamme, we've found somewhat of an adequate replacement for Clark. He's not as good, but 416 yards with 3 touchdowns in 4 games is nothing to sneeze at. But in the 3 years since Harrison has left, we haven't had anyone come in who can even come close to replicating the deep-ball threat that he was. I miss the days when you knew Manning had two pro-bowl deep ball threats on the outside.

    In addition to Freeney, we also lost Morris during the season as well as McFarland right before the season started.

    That was a horrible year. You can say this one is worse, though I don't think it's by much.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-08-2010 at 01:29 PM.

  5. #29
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    I don't know how you can say the Colts don't have two deep threats. Garcon has proven that many times, especially in the Jets playoff game last year.

    Peyton doesn't need anymore deep threats. He needs possession recievers. And Tamme is in no way shape or form anywhere close to providing what Dallas Clark does. It's not even in the same universe.

    We're talking about a season after Clark put up monsterous numbers for a TE. I don't know how many people need to say that Clark has been the teams MVP. Peyton saying it and Polian saying it (IIRC) are both huge endorsements for him. After Peyton, Dallas is the single most important piece to the offense, and it's not even close.

  6. #30

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I keep hearing that Peyton is surrounded by skill players that nobody wanted, castoffs appearing off the street.

    They seem to have invested a fair amount of draft picks in so-called castoffs.

    current active players only:
    WR#1: Wayne-1st round pick in 2001
    WR#2: Garcon-6th round pick
    WR#3: White-Undrafted free agent
    TE #1: Tamme-4th round pick
    TE#2: Eldridge- 5th round pick
    RB#1: Javarris James- Undrafted free agent
    RB#2: Donald Brown-1st round pick

    compare to a certain other team:

    WR#1: Welker-Undrafted free agent
    WR#2: Deion Branch-2nd round pick in 2002
    WR#3: Brandon Tate- 3rd round pick
    TE#1: Rob Gronkowski- 2nd round pick
    TE#2: Aaron Hernandez- 4th round pick
    RB#1: BJGE-Undrafted free agent
    RB#2: Danny Woodhead-Undrafted free agent

    To make the analysis quantifiable, I'll call an undrafted free agent an 8th round draft pick.

    Colts current skill position players average draft round: (1+6+8+4+5+8+1)/7 = 4.7
    Patriots current skill position players average draft round: (8+2+3+2+4+8+8)/7 = 5.0

    Now when you consider the players out but expected to return: Collie- 4th round pick would replace White, Joseph Addai- 1st round pick would replace James,

    Colts skill position players average draft round: (1+6+4+4+5+1+1)/7 = 3.1

    bottom line: If the current players suiting up are not good enough to perform, maybe the people to question are the people who drafted them.
    I am sorry but this is absolutely terrible anaylsis. For one the only reason why the current players are not good enough is do to the fact the real players are hurt. If Addai isn't hurt the running game and pass protection would be better. If Gonzo isn't hurt Blaire White isn't touching the field. If Dallas Clark isn't hurt he once again is our most targeted player.

    This team is underachieving because the 0-line sucks (which I do blame Polain for) and the injuries that have occured.

    If the Brady was under our 0-line you would see similar numbers to Manning and if you slap in Fred Taylor into your anaylsis that 5 goes to a 4.

  7. #31

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    he needs to be fired and herman edwards or brian billick need to be hired
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  8. #32
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how you can say the Colts don't have two deep threats. Garcon has proven that many times, especially in the Jets playoff game last year.

    Peyton doesn't need anymore deep threats. He needs possession recievers. And Tamme is in no way shape or form anywhere close to providing what Dallas Clark does. It's not even in the same universe.

    We're talking about a season after Clark put up monsterous numbers for a TE. I don't know how many people need to say that Clark has been the teams MVP. Peyton saying it and Polian saying it (IIRC) are both huge endorsements for him. After Peyton, Dallas is the single most important piece to the offense, and it's not even close.

    I didn't say we don't have two deep threats, I said I missed the days where we had two PRO-BOWL deep threats on the outside. Garcon is talented, but he isn't great by any means. He makes way too many mistakes and is too inconsistent. He has just two touchdowns for the entire season, which is a poor number when you are lining up on Peyton's right side. Bottom line is he'll never be in the same stratosphere as Harrison. He can win you the AFC Championship game MVP, but then he'll also have several games in a row of dropped balls, wrong routes, etc..

    I realize that this is a season after Clark put up monstrous numbers for a TE. Yet 07 was a season after Harrison put up 8 straight monstrous numbers as a WR (one of the best 8 year runs in the history of the game at any position). Yet we still found a way to win 13 games that year, even with Anthony Gonzaelz taking Harrison's place.

    Tamme is closer production-wise to Clark than anyone has been to Harrison.

    My point overall is that even if this season is the worst injury season ever, it isn't *that* much worse than 07. And that year we still found a way to win 13 games. If we had drafted better the last 4 drafts then these injuries wouldn't be as big an issue.

  9. #33

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he needs to be fired and herman edwards or brian billick need to be hired


    No to Herm!

    Billick might actually be an upgrade though I mean the Ravens defense was great when he was there and he was considered an offense guy.

  10. #34

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know technically Welker is an undrafted FA, but let's not forget that he was a damn good reciever in Miami
    The Dolphins thought so highly of him that he had only 3 career starts in three years (47 games). He was a special teams player until midway in his 3rd year when he was playing as an injury replacement. He racked up 9 catches in a game against the Patriots and somehow managed to not impress his own coaches with his 67 catches in limited time, perhaps due to a fumbling problem (12 fumbles as a Dolphin).

    When restricted free agency came the Dolphins offered him a 2nd round tender. In Belichick's mind Welker was born to be a slot receiver, though the Dolphins had not used him there and he felt confident that the Dolphins had no idea what they had. He decided rather than competing with other teams to sign him and perhaps overpaying, he'd call up the Dolphins and work out a sign-and-trade. Sure enough the Dolphins were fine with losing him in free agency and collecting a second round pick, so a trade to get them another pick was gravy, even if it meant sending him to a division opponent.

    I was living in Florida at the time of the 2007 trade and Dolphins fans were thrilled with getting 2nd and 7th round picks for a guy they were convinced was a poor man's Devin Hester, a too tiny guy who fumbled too much and would never be a legit wide receiver.

    The fumbling problem was fixed by coaches in NE and the wide receiver skills that were already there were allowed to come out.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-08-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  11. #35
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,520
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no that happens to all teams that part of the game.
    Seriously? You can type that with a straight face?

    Yes injuries happen to every team in the NFL, but if you think what has happened to the Colts this season is normal, you really don't pay much attention. I've never seen any NFL team have the amount of injuries the Colts have had this season... ever.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  12. #36
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,222

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I noticed that. I think there are a lot of Colts fans who have some not so nice things to say about Caldwell though.

    I give him a lot of blame but not as much as Polian.
    What he said...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  13. #37
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    If the pats paid a 2nd and 7th for Welker then I think that should've been included in the analysis.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:


  15. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously? You can type that with a straight face?

    Yes injuries happen to every team in the NFL, but if you think what has happened to the Colts this season is normal, you really don't pay much attention. I've never seen any NFL team have the amount of injuries the Colts have had this season... ever.
    give me a break my bears were starting a 6th string linebacker last yr it happens a lot. Football is a contact sport and injuries come with that.

  16. #39

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the pats paid a 2nd and 7th for Welker then I think that should've been included in the analysis.
    Fair point... call him a second rounder and call Branch a 4th rounder, since that was used to acquire him from the Seahawks.

    Patriots current healthy and active skill position players average draft round (or pick used to acquire): (2+4+3+2+4+8+8)/7 = 4.4

    Colts current healthy and active skill position players average draft round: (1+6+8+4+5+8+1)/7 = 4.7

    Collie should replace White soon (and he would be there now had they not approved him to play too soon vs. the Patriots). Colts skill position players average draft round, with Collie in pace of White but no Addai, Hart, Gonzalez, or Clark: (1+6+4+4+5+8+1)/7 = 4.1

    bottom line: Both of these two teams seem to have comparable talent, active at this very moment, as perceived by the people running their teams drafts and making trades.

    What is odd is that you may have been expecting Addai/Brown, Clark/Tamme, and Wayne/Gonzalez/Collie: (1+1+1+4+1+1+4)/7 = 1.9. I would be quite surprised if many other teams are so fully invested in skill position players drafted quite so high. It is one clear advantage Peyton has always had.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-09-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  17. #40

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    give me a break my bears were starting a 6th string linebacker last yr it happens a lot. Football is a contact sport and injuries come with that.
    You really don't want to go there. For one the city was about to give up on its head coach and the record of the Bears was terrible.

    The colts are on their
    6th string LB
    4th string safety
    3rd and 4th string DB
    4th string RB
    4th string WR
    2nd and 4th string TE

    When you carry 6 Rbs on your active roster you have problems.

    On top of that the colts have 13 2010 free agents on their active roster. Six out of 8 DBs on the colts were 2010 FA's. The only corner back that got drafted by the colts was Kelvin Hayden everyone else is a FA signing.

    The colts have placed 16 guys on IR which is the highest in the league

    ITs a hard sell to say this happens to a lot of teams. I mean seriously, this hasn't happen to this team in a very long time.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  19. #41
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was living in Florida at the time of the 2007 trade and Dolphins fans were thrilled with getting 2nd and 7th round picks for a guy they were convinced was a poor man's Devin Hester, a too tiny guy who fumbled too much and would never be a legit wide receiver.
    Hell yeah they were thrilled, when you take into account that Randy Moss has been traded for a 4th pick and a 3rd round pick on two seperate occasions.

    A #1 option reciever gets traded twice for draft picks higher than 2nd round, why wouldn't the Dolphins be excited to get that out of a slot reciever?

    None of that changes my point. Wes already had shown his abilities BEFORE the Pats got to him. They knew exactly what he was capable of, or atleast had a pretty good idea, BEFORE he ever stepped foot in Mass. wearing a Patriot jersey.

    True or False? True.

    EDIT: You're trying to make the point like the Colts and Pats drafted their skill position players and developed them. That just isn't the truth. The Colts have either drafted or signed rookie FA for their positions.

    The Pats traded or signed FAs that already had league experience and had shown that they belong in the NFL. It's a lot easier to evaluate NFL talent that is playing in the NFL than it is to evaluate talent that has never played a down on Sundays.


    And you still have it wrong calling Branch a 4th rounder. He was drafted in the 2nd round by the Pats in 2002. Therefore his ranking should be a 2nd round pick, not a 4th. But yeah....details details.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-09-2010 at 12:37 PM.

  20. #42

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    You do have a a big IR list and probably have more starters lost than most. 3 of the 16 on IR were hurt early and were very unlikely to make the roster: Kicker Swenson, S David Caldwell, CB Jordan Hemby. I don't have the analysis, but I hear that Green Bay has lost more starters among their 15 players on IR.

    The most damning evidence against Bill Polian is that everyone cites 2 reasons for the 6-6 record:

    1) terrible offensive line
    2) injuries

    One remarkable thing is when you look for an intersection of these factors, you find that not a single offensive lineman is among the 16 on injured reserve. You have all of the offensive linemen that Bill Polian wanted you to have.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  22. #43
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    And also you're forgetting Mike Hart which is a 6th round pick.

  23. #44

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    The Welker departure is a hot topic in South Florida where I live. The Dolphins viewed Welker's late season productivity at WR in his 3rd and final year in Miami as an artifact of extended playing time in a lost season, "garbage time" with the WRs ahead of him in the depth chart being injured. As I said, he started only 3 games in 3 years. He also had a fumbling problem (12 fumbles) that apparently the NE coaches helped him fix. He was not used as a slot receiver in Miami so I don't see how it was established that he would be a capable every down starter at that position.

    By comparison, with 13 starts last year, Pierre Garcon was a far more established as a starting NFL wide receiver than was Wes Welker at the time the Patriots traded for him.

    Did that guarantee that Garcon would be great this year?

    There is a great similarity of the Welker situation with the Woodhead situation. Woodhead was stupidly being made into a WR in New York after being a RB his whole life. Welker was not used in the slot in Miami. BB saw each as a perfect fit for an every down role (in Welker's case) or at least a big role (Woodhead) that was quite a bit different from the role filled with the previous team.

    BB has a tendency to recognize a player for what he is and what he can do rather than where he was drafted. He will cut bait and run with a poor draft pick, and he has had some. Maybe that's why he is trade-down volume drafter. When teams hold onto drafted players, like the Jets did, over better players like Woodhead they avoid the inital criticism of having wasted the pick but actually double up on the mistake by forcing a second bad decision. Welker was also probably undervalued by Miami as being undrafted and certainly replaceable in a future draft.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-09-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  24. #45

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Hart isn't healthy, is he? I was just listing healthy players and also had to draw a line somewhere, so 2 RBs, 2 TEs, and 3 WRs seemed like a logical place to start.

    If everyone were healthy, and before it became apparent this season that Donald Brown for whatever reason ain't all that, I would imagine that the expected RB workload for 2010 was Addai-Brown with Hart for mop-up.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  25. #46
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,925

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    He played last game, although he injured his ankle. He's been just as healthy as Brown, or so it seems. Or should I say unhealthy.

  26. #47
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,622

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    insane # of injuries?
    Thank you. No team in the NFL has had to cope with so many injured players. The players started landing on IR during training camp through this past game - it's like they have to IR someone every single week.

    Jim gets a pass because its hard for a coach and GM to field a good team and develop consistency when you have guys dropping like flies and only half the team can practice.

    Additionally, Jim Caldwell hasn't thrown 11 interceptions in 3 games and single-handedly given the last 3 games away.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  27. #48

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You do have a a big IR list and probably have more starters lost than most. 3 of the 16 on IR were hurt early and were very unlikely to make the roster: Kicker Swenson, S David Caldwell, CB Jordan Hemby. I don't have the analysis, but I hear that Green Bay has lost more starters among their 15 players on IR.

    The most damning evidence against Bill Polian is that everyone cites 2 reasons for the 6-6 record:

    1) terrible offensive line
    2) injuries

    One remarkable thing is when you look for an intersection of these factors, you find that not a single offensive lineman is among the 16 on injured reserve. You have all of the offensive linemen that Bill Polian wanted you to have.
    So whats the big difference between last years offensive line vs this year? Are you saying Ryan Lilja was just that good?

    Howard Mudd retiring is probably the biggest factor on why this line sucks and I don't know how you blame Polian for that. The coach needs to have those ducks in a row not Polain.

    The line was hurt before the season even started. Charlie Johnson, Jeff Saturday, Kyle Devan all had injuries before hand. I am not saying Polain isn't to blame for some of the personel moves but come on. Injuries have had a very large impact on this teams success or the lack there of.

    4 out of 6 losses were by 3 points or less. If we have a "normal season" of injuries then we are ahead of the division. As it is we are just like the Packers who are struggling to win their division.

  28. #49

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair point... call him a second rounder and call Branch a 4th rounder, since that was used to acquire him from the Seahawks.

    Patriots current healthy and active skill position players average draft round (or pick used to acquire): (2+4+3+2+4+8+8)/7 = 4.4

    Colts current healthy and active skill position players average draft round: (1+6+8+4+5+8+1)/7 = 4.7

    Collie should replace White soon (and he would be there now had they not approved him to play too soon vs. the Patriots). Colts skill position players average draft round, with Collie in pace of White but no Addai, Hart, Gonzalez, or Clark: (1+6+4+4+5+8+1)/7 = 4.1

    bottom line: Both of these two teams seem to have comparable talent, active at this very moment, as perceived by the people running their teams drafts and making trades.

    What is odd is that you may have been expecting Addai/Brown, Clark/Tamme, and Wayne/Gonzalez/Collie: (1+1+1+4+1+1+4)/7 = 1.9. I would be quite surprised if many other teams are so fully invested in skill position players drafted quite so high. It is one clear advantage Peyton has always had.
    Just to show you how wrong this analysis is.......

    For one most skill positions are drafted high and if they pan out they are kept. So cherry picking like you did in this anaylsis is clearly not the way to do it.

    You say you would be surprised huh? Ok.

    The Bears since 2004 have selected in the first 3 rounds of the draft 9 skill position players.

    The Steelers since 2004 have selected 8.

    The Pats since 2004 have selected 7. (this isn't including the Welker trade.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    The weapon heavy colts since 2004 have selected 4.



    Clearly Manning has had a huge advantage. FYI, since 1998 the Colts have drafted 9 skill position players total in the first 3 rounds.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.

  29. #50

    Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you. No team in the NFL has had to cope with so many injured players. The players started landing on IR during training camp through this past game - it's like they have to IR someone every single week.

    Jim gets a pass because its hard for a coach and GM to field a good team and develop consistency when you have guys dropping like flies and only half the team can practice.

    Additionally, Jim Caldwell hasn't thrown 11 interceptions in 3 games and single-handedly given the last 3 games away.


    The Chargers game yes but the other two games we probably wouldn't even be in those games without him either. Its just to me when a QB plays bad the coach is also scrutinized regardless and I don't see that with Caldwell at all. It was never exempt with Wade Phillips or Brad Childress I don't get what makes Caldwell exempt.

Similar Threads

  1. Montieth's Q&A worth reading
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 10:13 AM
  2. A member of the national media agrees with us. *shocked*
    By Pig Nash in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 01:33 AM
  3. National Media Opinions Split on Pacers’ Chances
    By TheSauceMaster in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •