Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

Aside from just saying injuries have hurt the Colts, it's been the way in which they've hit that have really made things look far worse.

Without Addai, Clark and Collie, the possession part of the offense has been ransacked. Wayne is good enough to be a 'possession' receiver, but he just gets blanketed on key downs. So Manning relies on Tamme (unproven) and Garcon, whose hands come and go.

You can't give the ball to Brown in key situations, because he's the type of back that has to have some space to make things happen. And the offensive line continues to provide none of that. (Note: You should never spend a first-rounder on these types of backs. Ever.)

What is all adds up to is Manning forcing the ball down the field ... and you've seen the results.

The biggest non-injury problem for this team is the offensive line, and that's been the case for years. When all the targets go down, you're supposed to rely more heavily on a ground game, and the Colts don't have one.

And on defense, the fact that the secondary has been ravaged doesn't help.

I'm just hoping Polian doesn't look at this year and use it as an excuse to return to modus operandi -- reinforcing the skill positions early and taking a CB in the second, third or fourth rounds. The skill positions are fine. Corners are fine.

It would be amazing to see what the offensive talent could do with a consistent offensive line. But Polian's biggest fault since he's been here is thinking he can go find Jeff Saturdays at the drop of a hat. And when he does try to add to the line talent, he's shown an inability to get the right players ... see, Ugoh and Pollak.

Perhaps the best offseason addition would be a really good offensive line evaluator.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Serious question: How come Jim Caldwell hasn't been criticized by the national media?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be amazing to see what the offensive talent could do with a consistent offensive line. But Polian's biggest fault since he's been here is thinking he can go find Jeff Saturdays at the drop of a hat. And when he does try to add to the line talent, he's shown an inability to get the right players ... see, Ugoh and Pollak.

Perhaps the best offseason addition would be a really good offensive line evaluator.
    So in 1998 Polain inherited two tackles that were pretty good In GLen and Meadows and as time has gon one he was able to use late draft picks to fill Meadows spot with Diem and the rest of the guards. The real problem is when he tried to fill Glens spot with Ugoh. I personally have a hard time faulting Polain for selecting Ugoh because he had all the physical tools to make you think he would be able to be a good run/pass blocker. If I remember right he was known for his run blocking more than anything.

In general the hardest part to fill in on a line is LT,RT,C RG,LG. We started out with the most important positions filled and got lucky at center. Polain then worked his magic on the RT and guards with Diem, Scott and Lilja.

As we are now we don't have very good guards and a guard trying to play LT in Johnson.

Its easy to blame Polain for this but he also did a fantastic job in finding those guards/RT earlier on. I hope Polain realizes now that he can't be cheap on the line. You have to pay these guys if you want to run the ball well and pass protect well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Its easy to blame Polain for this but he also did a fantastic job in finding those guards/RT earlier on. I hope Polain realizes now that he can't be cheap on the line. You have to pay these guys if you want to run the ball well and pass protect well.
    You must have a far rosier assessment of Diem than I. I feel like he's been starting all these only because of a lack of better options and the fact that he got an extension. His position has never been challenged, and that's a problem in my mind. Very frustrating player to watch.

Scott was definitely better than most on the line in Polian's time ... but he's not here, and neither is a comparable replacement, so I'm not sure how much credit to give. I understand not throwing out money to guards, but if you're not going to, you sure as hell better hit with the replacement. And Polian didn't, and still hasn't rectified that situation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    You must have a far rosier assessment of Diem than I. I feel like he's been starting all these only because of a lack of better options and the fact that he got an extension. His position has never been challenged, and that's a problem in my mind. Very frustrating player to watch.

Scott was definitely better than most on the line in Polian's time ... but he's not here, and neither is a comparable replacement, so I'm not sure how much credit to give. I understand not throwing out money to guards, but if you're not going to, you sure as hell better hit with the replacement. And Polian didn't, and still hasn't rectified that situation.
    I am not saying he shouldn't be blamed but just that he was able to sustain the line play for a pretty long time with his method of drafting low end guys to replace the starters. IMO, Polain is failing now. Was he before? NOt really but as I stated before he inherited a probowl left tackle.

As far as Diem he is 31 and I think he is playing like a 31 year old OT who was pretty good in his prime but is past it now. That stetch play that worked in the past was design to be on his side and I think he gave it some merit along with others.