Thread: Contender/Pretender Vol. 7 -- Denver Nuggets

Default Contender/Pretender Vol. 7 -- Denver Nuggets

Continuing with what Hicks started, based on what a Pistons board did, discuss the potential of each team, in alphabetical order, for the upcoming season.

What needs to be done in order to win? Can they make the playoffs? Will the contend for the title? How far will they go in the playoffs? What changes can be expected this year?

Volume 7 is the Denver Nuggets:

Starters:

Andre Miller
    Voshon Lenard
    Carmelo Anthony
    Kenyon Martin
    Marcus Camby

Bench:

Earl Boykins, Francisco Elson, Nene, Nikoloz Tskitishvili

Coach: Jeff Bzdzelik
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Default Re: Contender/Pretender Vol. 7 -- Denver Nuggets

#4 seed as high as they go...#8 seed as low as they go.

I, along with a lot of others, like the starting 5 of Denver and expect even more improvement from last year. They need to address their bench (4 subs just isn't going to do it). They'll probably resign Jon Barry and Rodney White, but they could really use another solid backup SF.

I'd guess that they are in heavy contention for finishing 5-10 in the West come playoff time and will probably make it in.

Contenders for a title.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Joel

I love that lineup. Athletic, balanced, and fun to watch. They're ALMOST contdeners for a title.. but right now I see them as second round and out.

They're contenders to be contenders. Does that make sense?

The big 4 are Sacto, Minn, Spurs and Mavs. Denver could replace Dallas in that group.

The key to their season is Nene. Does he get the drive and passion to be one of the best in the game or is he content to be "pretty good."

He could beat Camby out and start but he has to really show something. That would get Marcus coming off the bench at both PF and C - still getting 30-35 mpg. Add White, Barry and Boykins off the bench and this becomes a very dangerous team - and with the strongest HC advantage in the league - 5280 reasons why teams will have a tough time beating them there.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like there lineup.They are contenders to make the playoffs and they will probably make the 2nd round.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I'm gonna refer to Sports Guy's contention that, every year, there's a team that everybody fawns over that doesn't come close to expectations. I think this could be the team, for one reason:

Jeff Byzdelik is a lame duck coach.

Seriously, that is a bad situation. Players definitely know the score, and they don't respect coaches that management isn't 100% behind. The first time the team hits a rough stretch, you'll hear a lot of bickering coming out of their locker room, lots of questioning of what's going on. Add in that their "leader" was somewhat exposed as a troublemaker in Athens, and their major acquisition is already on the record as being a head case, who himself is coming out of a similar situation in NJ, and I don't see how Jeff can survive.

I think they'll make the playoffs, but won't contend for homecourt. Due to that, I'll be absolutely, completely shocked if Michael Cooper isn't the coach by the end of the season.

Btw, I think Cooper's a great coach, but Bzydelik doesn't deserve the shaft he's getting.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

i like the nuggets a lot, they should be a contender in the west if they stay healthy and melo continues to develop. they still need more depth at SG. imo, a nene for joe johnson trade would be perfect for the nuggets and suns. phoenix needs a center, denver has a great talent at center on the bench. denver needs a two guard, phoenix has a yount talent at two guard on the bench. i am surprised this hasn't been rumored around the media.

How about a nene for Freddie Jones/Pick trade?

i don't see that flying with the nuggets. nene was a top 5 pick i believe, and he's a big man with a lot of potential. joe johnson is a much better talent then fred, as much as i love freddie. a pick from the pacers is kinda a weak piece too b/c it will be a very late round pick.

anyways, i have thought about another deal that indy could swing......it was completely off the top of my head. artest, pollard, and freddie go to the suns. marion comes to indy along with nene. joe johnson goes to denver. the suns do give up a lot but look at it this way. phoenix is desperatley trying to unload marion so they can max out amare in 2 yrs. they get artest to replace marion, but at half the price. pollard would be a temporary big and his contract would end when amare is up for a new one. that cap space would be enough to extend amare.

this was completely off the top of my head, i tend to think about trade ideas when i'm bored. there is no rumor behind this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boy, that'd be nice. I'll never forget that block he had on JO in the '01 Goodwill games.

But, Kiki already flat turned down NJ trying to swap Kenyon for him. Maybe that's cause he new he had Thorn over a barrel. But something tells me Kiki would want more than Fred (even though he'd fit in extremely well on that team.)

Now that I think about it, it sure would have been nice if we could of traded Al and Fred for him and picks, then signed Sax outright. Oh well.

now a fred jones for skita trade maybe feasible. indy would definitely have to throw in some picks or maybe jj also. i like skita a lot, he played great this summer. i have heard he is on the block and he wants out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101
    nene was a top 5 pick i believe,
    No, Denver selected Skita with the 5th pick that year. NY picked Nene at 7, then traded him and Camby for McDyess.

God Scott Layden was an idiot.

you're right, i knew one of the two was the fifth pick.

layden was a fool for pulling the trigger on that deal.

by the way, while we are on the topic of trades. my buddy in LA mentioned a rumor over the radio of caron butler for either snow or mcginnis of the cavs. i believe they would have to wait 60 days from the previous trades though. thought i would let everyone know, i doubt many care though.

i care, the cavs are my 2nd favorite team. I'd like a McGinnis/Butler swap.

Snow/James/Butler/Gooden/Z, they wouldn't be too shabby.

well, this is what i have heard. the lakers have too many SF's in odom, butler, george, and walton. kobe and rush are locking down the 2 spot. i fully expect odom to play the 3 also b/c he is out west where he will get abused at PF. plus, LA is pretty deep up front with divac, grant, mihm, and mevedenko. i expect butler or george to be traded for a starting PG. atkins isn't going to cut it.

If I remember correctly, I don't think the Nuggets will be trading Nene for anyone.... They have the same notions about him that we have about JB I think...

MZahm

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I'm gonna refer to Sports Guy's contention that, every year, there's a team that everybody fawns over that doesn't come close to expectations. I think this could be the team, for one reason:

Jeff Byzdelik is a lame duck coach.

Seriously, that is a bad situation. Players definitely know the score, and they don't respect coaches that management isn't 100% behind. The first time the team hits a rough stretch, you'll hear a lot of bickering coming out of their locker room, lots of questioning of what's going on. Add in that their "leader" was somewhat exposed as a troublemaker in Athens, and their major acquisition is already on the record as being a head case, who himself is coming out of a similar situation in NJ, and I don't see how Jeff can survive.

I think they'll make the playoffs, but won't contend for homecourt. Due to that, I'll be absolutely, completely shocked if Michael Cooper isn't the coach by the end of the season.

Btw, I think Cooper's a great coach, but Bzydelik doesn't deserve the shaft he's getting.

I totally agree. I think Denver will be this year's Suns. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but they weren't as good finishing last season as they were starting it. I think they just caught people by surprise, which they won't be able to do this year. They'll battle for a playoff spot and sneak in with the 7th or 8th seed before being bumped out in the first round again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Denver last season was the worst perimeter-shooting team in the NBA. So what did they do? They went out and got a power forward who can't shoot outside of 12 feet.

Denver will make the playoffs based on sheer talent, but they suffer from the same disease the olympic team did. You'd think that Barry, Carmello and Lenard would be enough, but they are all very inconsistent shooters, and shooting isnt the strength of Mello's game anyway.

The Nuggets still need a starter that can spread defenses, I think.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Denver reminds me of the late-1980's early 1990's era Pacers. I think they'll toil between the seventh and tenth seed for the next two or three seasons until they figure it all out.

They won't sneak up anybody, and they're about to find out what its like to be taken seriously by thier opponents on a regular basis.

I really like thier team, on paper.

Kiki's doing a great job. Maybe in a couple more years, Issel will have worked out his issues with society in general, and earn another chance to coach that team.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    how bout no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Denver reminds me of the late-1980's early 1990's era Pacers. I think they'll toil between the seventh and tenth seed for the next two or three seasons until they figure it all out.

They won't sneak up anybody, and they're about to find out what its like to be taken seriously by thier opponents on a regular basis.

I really like thier team, on paper.

Kiki's doing a great job. Maybe in a couple more years, Issel will have worked out his issues with society in general, and earn another chance to coach that team.
    no thanks to issel!!!!

as for taking us seriously, after game like 15 or so, im pretty sure we got that. teams were coming after us hard once they saw we werent the same 17 win team.