Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 76ers Attempting To Trade Iguodala

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 76ers Attempting To Trade Iguodala

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we were to acquire Iguodala.. where does that place us in the Eastern conference? Would we be in the same tier as Orlando, Boston, Miami, Chicago? or are we a notch behind them with the Hawks and Bucks?

If we make a move like this the team has to be good enough to contend now. Our cap space would be maxed, and we will likely be drafting in the early 20's; there would not be much room to improve. Adding Iggy, and allowing our core to mature has to be good enough to contend in two seasons. Hence the reason Im asking how we match up to the big boys in the EC.

I honestly don't but the Bucks in that spot anymore until Bogut can prove he can stay healthy. But with this deal I think we would be around Atlantas level, and a good four could allow us to compete moving forward.

ive gone back and forth on this one. is iggy really the missing piece of the puzzle? i like how rush has been playing, and he can certainly hold down the spot until we know if george will be a solid player for us. plus iggy makes quite a bit of salary.

biggest downside to acquiring iggy other than giving up PG, is the salary implications. iggy is paid like an all-star, he better produce like one if we deal for him.

i still ask the question, is he that much of an ugrade defensively over rush?? i know he is not a great outside shooter, and we really need a player who can create his own shot, hopefully he would be able to do that in our offense. if we make the deal this is our core.
    Andre could be the missing piece or he could also be the piece that brings in the missing piece latter on. I think if we trade for a high paid guy I want to make sure his game won't decline and the biggest indications to me is whether he has been consistent defensively and offensively. Nothing in his game gives me doubts of whether he will be a good fit long term for this team which is why I don't mind giving up PG or Rush.

IF the 2011 FA class was something to get excited about then I wouldn't be so adamant about Andre. Unfortunately for us we will have the money and not very many options which scares the crap out of me. I could see Bird over paying for a lesser talent and us struggling to make the playoffs for years to come. Does anyone think if we had Andre on this team we wouldn't be a perennial playoff team that competes in the second round?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    But it can become relevant without giving up a great prospect in George. If George turns out to be what he can be I would be willing to wait a couple of years. Yes Granger may be 30, but it would be a young 30 because he went to college for 4 years so he has less wear and tear than your average 30 year old in the NBA. As well the wing position tends to have the longest life span in the NBA.
    Because I'm not so attached to PG, I can easily respond by saying that "you can't get something without giving up something" . To me ( and I'm guessing TPTB ), I'm going to look closer to the immediate future as opposed to the long-term future...which easily translates into taking advantage of acquiring a Player that I think will impact the Team in a positive way. Iggy does that far better then PG does now and IMHO the next season. That is the way that I think that Bird and company are looking at the Team...to make the Team relevant to the fanbase. A return to the Playoffs ( which IMHO was expected to happen AFTER the 3 year plan finished out ) is a start....making the Team a perennial Playoff Team is the next step. Getting Iggy would cement that for Bird IMHO.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

If we were to acquire Iguodala.. where does that place us in the Eastern conference? Would we be in the same tier as Orlando, Boston, Miami, Chicago? or are we a notch behind them with the Hawks and Bucks?

If we make a move like this the team has to be good enough to contend now. Our cap space would be maxed, and we will likely be drafting in the early 20's; there would not be much room to improve. Adding Iggy, and allowing our core to mature has to be good enough to contend in two seasons. Hence the reason Im asking how we match up to the big boys in the EC.
    Right now, without making any changes, we'd be a 3rd Tier Team....a team stuck in no-where land ( inbetween Lottery land and Playoff Land....that's close to where Imagination-Land is ) where we can sometimes beat ( or even lose to ) Teams that we should ( or should not ) be beating ( or losing to )...but it's a "coin-toss" ( see our wins against Miami and the Lakers then losing to Teams that we should be beating like the Sixers ).

Boston is built to win now and may still be relevant for another season ( at most IMHO ) where was Orlando and Miami are here to stay. A 2nd Tier Team is where I think we should be looking to become ( if we get the right type of Coach and proper develop Team Chemistry over time ) so that we can start inching our way to becoming a Top Tier Team.

With an Iggy move, I think that we'd easily be in the 2nd Tier where we best Teams that we should always beat, we hold our own against 2nd Tier Teams ( like Chicago, Atlanta and Milwaukee ) and have an okay chance at beating 1st Tier ( like Orlando, Boston and Miami ).

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Andre could be the missing piece or he could also be the piece that brings in the missing piece latter on. I think if we trade for a high paid guy I want to make sure his game won't decline and the biggest indications to me is whether he has been consistent defensively and offensively. Nothing in his game gives me doubts of whether he will be a good fit long term for this team which is why I don't mind giving up PG or Rush.
    Minor point...I mind giving up BRush....I know that he's capable of doing and will likely be doing for the near future.....whereas I only can hope to see what PG will be doing in the near future. Add in that I think that the Sixers would be more interested in getting a SF prospect ( PG ) over a SG prospect and that I would LOVE to see a top-notch SG/SF rotation of Granger/Iggy/BRush that could provide VERY solid defense along the Wing position for the next couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    IF the 2011 FA class was something to get excited about then I wouldn't be so adamant about Andre. Unfortunately for us we will have the money and not very many options which scares the crap out of me. I could see Bird over paying for a lesser talent and us struggling to make the playoffs for years to come. Does anyone think if we had Andre on this team we wouldn't be a perennial playoff team that competes in the second round?
    Yes, I think that we'd be able to get to the 2nd round ( not this season...but next one...mainly due to Team chemistry that I think would need to be built over the next season ).

I mind giving up Brandon more than I mind giving up PG. But I'd do it in a heartbeat..so long as we didn't have to give up both.

Ok let's figure this out with the salary and everything shall we.

Rashard Lewis, 31, is getting 20 mil.
    Vince Carter, 33, 17 mil.
    D Howard, age doesn't matter, 15.

Now their full salary is 89 mil.

Let's say we trade for iggy, 20 something, 13 mil. Average
    Granger, 27, 10 mil.
    Hibbert, 1.something.

Total 55 mil in salary.

Now Orlando is obviously a successful team who because of their length and defense, is actually paying over half of their money into the sg, sf, and center. So if we made this deal we'll be paying a lil less than half for a younger group and even when we resign it a lot of the temp players jones brothers, ford, etc. and our players that we plan on keeping have developed.

Now I'm against giving up George and agree with Sookie about rather trading rush. I mean you can find a backup sg who can play d I mean afflao is a fa this summer. Also you do need an adequate back up for your starters and George has position flexibility. So I would do this trade easily.

I would also think that o'brien would like to have him as a played and hopefully the fo would take advantage of it.

There are some really good posts in favor of getting Iggy backed with solid reasoning. After more reflection about where the Pacers are and this season plus next season lockout, I don't see the Pacers making a big trade or splash in the FA this coming off season UNLESS some mind blowing deal that is just too good to be true comes along. JMOAA

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does the increase in salary justify Iguodala for Rush (and filler)? Not sure Iggy is the shot creator we need, and is less of an outside shooter.

I'm leaning towards keeping the cap space and use it elsewhere. I'm very happy with Rush's play... his defense has been stellar on the likes of Kobe and DWade.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Does the increase in salary justify Iguodala for Rush (and filler)? Not sure Iggy is the shot creator we need, and is less of an outside shooter.

I'm leaning towards keeping the cap space and use it elsewhere. I'm very happy with Rush's play... his defense has been stellar on the likes of Kobe and DWade.
    iguodala is better in every aspect of his game but 3pt shooting. and in some cases like rebounding and getting assists and penetrating, MUCH better.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    iguodala is better in every aspect of his game but 3pt shooting. and in some cases like rebounding and getting assists and penetrating, MUCH better.
    Pretty much. Iggy is a legit 20-5-5 guy with very good defense. He's capable of being a primary ball handler a lot of the times, and is a good passer. I don't know anyone here thinks Brandon is capable of that. Paul George, maybe. That's a pretty big maybe though.

I don't know why someone wouldn't want to do this.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Pretty much. Iggy is a legit 20-5-5 guy with very good defense. He's capable of being a primary ball handler a lot of the times, and is a good passer. I don't know anyone here thinks Brandon is capable of that. Paul George, maybe. That's a pretty big maybe though.

I don't know why someone wouldn't want to do this.
    Easy....1 of 2 reasons...or some combination of both....(1) likely giving up PG and (2) thinking that Iggy is overpaid.

IMHO....assuming that ( at most ) we'd just have to take on Nocioni....given that it would not impact our ability to resign BRush and Hibbert in the 2012-2013 offseason and that Iggy is only paid roughly $1.5 mil more then Granger ( who IMHO is underpaid ).....my guess is that the majority would be against acquiring Iggy simply because they don't want to give up PG.

Cleveland would be another playoff contender with Iguodala, nothing more. Probably 1st round fodder. A team very far away from contending... and without the means to get there.

Cleveland needs to acquire talent via draft. There's no other way. They have no future core. They have no assets - no established All-Star, no high-level prospects, no abundance of draft picks, cap flexibility - to start adding pieces to what they have now. It's a roster with a starter in Varejao, a handful of bench players, some borderline NBA player, a decent prospect in Hickson.

Adding Iguodala will be a wast of time. Accept losing, try to move those overpaid veterans like Mo Williams, Jamison and Gibson (they'll probably be stuck with them till the very end) and the rest is patient.

Indiana is in a different situation. A lot more quality, a core already in place to build around. Iguodala would be a perfect complement to Granger's game, they'd have a very strong backcourt. If George pans out, they'd be another piece away from becoming contenders. And there's a chance they may acquire another player with the cap flexibility next Summer.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Easy....1 of 2 reasons...or some combination of both....(1) likely giving up PG and (2) thinking that Iggy is overpaid.
    1 - What is Paul George's ceiling? I would guess to be as good as Iguodala. Why not skip the risk and time ... and just get to having a player of that caliber now?

2 - If Iggy is overpaid, I don't know how. Unless you're (not you, specifically) gauging it off of the 15-20 games he's played this year. 18 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals + great defense, and playing 82 games in a season 5 of his 6 years ..... hard to be overpaid.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

IMHO....assuming that ( at most ) we'd just have to take on Nocioni....given that it would not impact our ability to resign BRush and Hibbert in the 2012-2013 offseason and that Iggy is only paid roughly $1.5 mil more then Granger ( who IMHO is underpaid ).....my guess is that the majority would be against acquiring Iggy simply because they don't want to give up PG.
    I am as excited about PG's potential as anyone. And trust me, I don't get sold on potential easily.

But I have to ask anyone who doesn't want to give up PG...do people really think he'll be better than Iggy? Particularly since Iggy is only 26 himself?

An expiring and a young player is an exceptionally fair deal for someone with Iggy's talent. In fact, I'd say that's borderline robbery and we'd probably have to add a pick (which I'd still do)

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: 76ers Attempting To Trade Iguodala

Sookie, the more you post the more I'm starting to agree! Lol

Also my point with the last lost was that what's the point were getting a bargain even with ai's contract on 4-5 top players. ( Roy, AI, DG, for sure, DC2000, PG-24)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

the way rush is playing right now, we may have our starting sg for the future already.. and i like the idea of having PG there as well in case rush reverts back to his former ways.

i like the idea of acquiring iggy, but we have to be real wise with our cap room.. seems like every year one of these types of players becomes available.. and remember during the draft and we take on other teams draft picks who are willing to get rid of guaranteed contracts as well.. much like the bulls and heat did last year.

again, i like the idea, but right now rush has been very impressive. maybe we could get involved in a 3 way deal with the 76ers for another teams PF.

im kinda surprised that the Pacers have not been mentioned as one of the teams who could acquire Iggy.

Has anyone asked the Pacers public voices if we're in the running for Iggy?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If no one has read the article yet,
    Andre Iguodala is on the block

By Kelly Dwyer
    Andre Iguodala(notes) is on the trading block probably, and that makes a good deal of sense. His Philadelphia 76ers are struggling, Doug Collins has declined to hand him the "you-run-everything" point-wing role Collins handed both Grant Hill(notes) and Michael Jordan, and Iguodala is talented enough to help a team that could use someone who is good at just about everything, though not overwhelmingly.
    Of course, you have to go easy with these things. Partially because A.I. makes a lot of money. Over $56 million spread out from now until 2014, according to ShamSports.com. But mainly because -- and I apologize for going all general columnist on you -- I don't know if he's that guy. Of course, it's a decade-long bias that has me thinking this way.
    There was an NBA preview magazine I remember sneaking glances at between classes, as the months led up to the 1996-97 season. And among the many lines I've stolen and ideologies I've clung to in the years since reading and re-reading that thing, one bit of armchair GM'ing stood out.
    San Antonio Spurs All-Star Sean Elliott, the magazine told me, would be better off as a third wheel. Sure, this is easy analysis, but the simplicity got to me. The idea that there were tiers to be acknowledged beyond the two "stars" NBC or ESPN showed you on screen. That things could change, seats could move, and that a pretty good team in San Antonio could be pretty great. Not to be outdone, because Hakeem Olajuwon was ticked or because Dennis Rodman couldn't get along.
    And by the time next year's magazine came along, Elliott was that third wheel, behind David Robinson and rookie Tim Duncan(notes). Now while I'm not suggesting that teams break the foot of their franchise center, fire their coach within a month, hire the GM to run the sideline, sign Monty Williams to take copious amounts of shots and bank on breaking the odds on the lottery to acquire a pivotman for the ages, I do suggest a reasonable attribution when it comes to the stylings of stars and semi-stars.
    And I'd suggest to Cleveland, a team that is reported to be interested in Iguodala, that it take it easy in trying to bring in a person that a Cleveland-area paper termed "LeBron Lite."
    Because LeBron James(notes), full and hearty, couldn't win with this Cavaliers team. And while you'd like to think that LeBron, rich and full of delicious calories, could have won with Cleveland had he not given up on those Cavs last May, it's probably fair to suggest that LeBron made himself "LeBron Lite" as he moped through that Boston series last year. And even in that watered-down state, could you really imagine Andre Iguodala approximating the same results?
    Iguodala puts up great stats, and stats are documentation of production gone both good or bad, so it would be foolish to dismiss the way the guy helps a team toward victory. He can score, pass, rebound and do the sorts of athletic things (finishing in transition, grabbing steals and coming up with blocks) that aid a team toward the goal among goals.
    But as a go-to guy? Even a second option? He's just not that guy.
    Because he shoots. He shoots from far away, and his teams have suffered as a result. Whether it's in the playoffs against the Pistons or the Magic, or this month while Doug Collins gets more and more frustrated. Sure, as Collins pointed out, the defenses tend to "wall up" against Iggy as he prepares to work in an offense that (through no fault of his own) has absolutely no spacing. But we've seen him with spacing and no wall to work through. The guy still shoots.
    Which is why he'd do fine as a second option. Quite well. But it's also why he'd do brilliantly, championship-level'y, as a third option.
    This doesn't mean that any team trying to acquire Andre (who is working under a top-gear contract that might be more than prohibitive to any team even if he is a first-tier option) should move forward with him in mind as the Elliott to David Robinson's Tim Duncan. It just means he's not going to automatically put anyone over the top. Because even second-tier go-to guys have to have an idea in mind once the play breaks down, things go pear-shaped and the ball ends up in Deborah Kerr's hands.
    (She was in a lot of movies in a supporting role. Never mind.)
    Sadly for A.I. and the Sixers, the contract that Iguodala signed back in the summer of 2008 -- that seemed just about right to just about everyone -- could prevent the sort of trade needed to make all sides happy. For the 76ers, Andre, and whoever tracks down his services. And even more importantly, should such a trade go through, Iguodala's brand of ball might prove the most frustrating to those whose expectations are stuck way, way too high."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-292358

overall Iggy doesn't seem that great, why get him when we have Rush :/

Although AI is a good player, I don't think he'll be the one that the Pacers really need. What they should be aiming for is a primary backup center. Solid first 5 and backup for each position is what this team need not only to reach the playoffs, but to be competitive in the playoffs. Celtics, Hawks, Orlando and others can simply abuse the thin frontcourt we have, especially in the playoffs where teams plays much rougher for obvious reasons.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be very interested to see what he start hearing the closer we move to January. Although the idea of Philly moving their star in December is certainly not unheard of...they've done it before with nearly identical timing with Iverson.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    If no one has read the article yet,
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-292358

overall Iggy doesn't seem that great, why get him when we have Rush :/
    What that guy says is that Iguodala isn't talented/skilled enough to be the go-to guy, the primary scoring option, for a good team. That's correct, he isn't efficient/prolific enough as a scorer to be that kind of player, not even close. That's why it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for the Cavs to go after him. As a secondary/tertiary option (as a scorer, playmaker, ball-handler) in a team with proper spacing, he'd be a very good fit. Dwyer overstates how bad of a shooter he is. Of course he still shoots, he's not Rondo or something. But again, surrounded by players with a more complimentary skill-set, he'd shoot a lot less of those long 2s.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    What that guy says is that Iguodala isn't talented/skilled enough to be the go-to guy, the primary scoring option, for a good team. That's correct, he isn't efficient/prolific enough as a scorer to be that kind of player, not even close. That's why it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for the Cavs to go after him. As a secondary/tertiary option (as a scorer, playmaker, ball-handler) in a team with proper spacing, he'd be a very good fit. Dwyer overstates how bad of a shooter he is. Of course he still shoots, he's not Rondo or something. But again, surrounded by players with a more complimentary skill-set, he'd shoot a lot less of those long 2s.
    And to me, those skill-sets seem exceptionally complimentary to Grangers..

Not to mention, he's a good young player with a decent contract (it's not as bad as some think, IMO) he wouldn't be that hard to trade if he doesn't fit.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    And to me, those skill-sets seem exceptionally complimentary to Grangers.
    I agree with you and cordobes on this....most notably because of something that Dwyer highlighted himself:

Iguodala puts up great stats, and stats are documentation of production gone both good or bad, so it would be foolish to dismiss the way the guy helps a team toward victory. He can score, pass, rebound and do the sorts of athletic things (finishing in transition, grabbing steals and coming up with blocks) that aid a team toward the goal among goals.But as a go-to guy? Even a second option? He's just not that guy.
    and this:

Sure, as Collins pointed out, the defenses tend to "wall up" against Iggy as he prepares to work in an offense that (through no fault of his own) has absolutely no spacing. But we've seen him with spacing and no wall to work through. The guy still shoots.
    Sound familiar with what we do? There is a greater # of Player that would compliment what he does then compared to what currently exists on the Sixers.

Seriously....I'll be the first to say that IF the Pacers somehow are able to get Iggy....I would seriously consider extending JO'B who happens to understand what Iggy is capable of doing and not doing.

I really hope that Bird has made some calls to the Sixers. If anything...it's dis-heartening that the Pacers aren't mentioned as suitors that have contacted them ( other then rumors that place the Pacers as logical candidates to do so ). Hopefully some talk heats up after December 15th.