Thread: Jones rebounds from slow start

Default Jones rebounds from slow start

I'm happy with some of the recent play of Solo but what I get from this article is that Foster is able to play and he's still a better option IMO. Foster would've been a much better choice to have on the floor in at least 2 of our recent losses then Solo or Posey.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...rom-slow-start

It was only a couple of weeks ago that reserve center Solomon Jones was more of a liability than an asset on the court for the Indiana Pacers.

Jones accumulated an embarrassing four rebounds in his first 72 minutes of playing time despite standing 6-10.

Jones, who backs up starter Roy Hibbert, has made up for his early blunders by averaging almost 5.0 rebounds in about 17 minutes a game in the past seven contests.

"I'm just getting an opportunity and making the best of it," Jones said. "(Coach Jim O'Brien) has gotten confidence in me, and my teammates have been feeling the same. I know what to expect, so I can go out there and play without anything on my shoulders."

Jones' recent play has affected veteran Jeff Foster's playing time.

Foster, a fan favorite for his blue-collar work, has appeared in only two games this season. He missed 10 days with an ankle sprain, which happened working out after a morning shootaround on a day where he was going to be on the inactive list.

"I have a great deal of confidence with Jeff," O'Brien said. "I think Jeff's a hell of a player. We have Roy, who is getting 30 minutes a game. That leaves you with 18 minutes. You can't go nine (minutes) and nine (minutes). If we're only playing Roy 20 minutes a game, we can play everybody."

Foster, who missed most of last season with back problems, is more consistent than Jones. Foster will provide constant hustle and rebounds every time he steps on the court.

O'Brien, however, doesn't want to make a change because Jones has played his best basketball as a Pacer the past two weeks.

"I don't want to be unfair to somebody we've been trying to get to play the way he is now for over a year," O'Brien said. "Jeff will get plenty of playing time and show people he has a lot left in the tank. It's just not figuring in the plans right now."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jones rebounds from slow start

No way I'd kick Jones out of the rotation when he's playing like this regardless of Foster's form. He's outplayed Hibbert in some of these recent games I've watched.

When a player like Jones, who has been a below average 3rd stringer for his career, is playing like this, you treasure these moments.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

If we're only playing Roy 20 minutes a game, we can play everybody."
    Scary.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scary.
    Why would he even want to say anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    It's almost like he's suggesting it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    It's almost like he's suggesting it.
    Yeah, that's kinda weird. You can just imagine him saying "Well we need to get Foster some more minutes so we're limiting Roy to 20 per game."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

C'MON GUYS!
    He was QUITE OBVIOUSLY BEING SARCASTIC.
    Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

His point WAS: THAT AIN"T HAPPENING....

Get it??????????????????????

Banned

bulbs going out......................................

Banned

Somebody posts something positive about Solo and the paranoids make it about OB again.
    How smart do you have to be to figure out what he clearly said.
    This place is becoming hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    C'MON GUYS!
    He was QUITE OBVIOUSLY BEING SARCASTIC.
    Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

His point WAS: THAT AIN"T HAPPENING....

Get it??????????????????????
    Come on, man. I am probably a top ten JOB supporter.

But why in the world would anyone make a comment like that to the media especially considering Hibbert's poor play these past two games?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Somebody posts something positive about Solo and the paranoids make it about OB again.
    How smart do you have to be to figure out what he clearly said.
    This place is becoming hopeless.
    Ha.

Apparently, we need to be at your intelligence level in order to understand what he said so clearly.

Would you like to explain what he said so clearly?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Sarcasm doesn't always come through in print, but I think that was clearly a sarcastic comment. Picture him rolling his eyes with a facetious tone and the comment makes a lot more sense.

The point was "Obviously we are not going to limit our MIP candidate to 20 minutes a game to get Jeff Foster some time"
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Sarcasm doesn't always come through in print, but I think that was clearly a sarcastic comment. Picture him rolling his eyes with a facetious tone and the comment makes a lot more sense.

The point was "Obviously we are not going to limit our MIP candidate to 20 minutes a game to get Jeff Foster some time"
    Right, I think we all knew it was actually a sarcastic comment. It was just the fact that it was coming from Jim O'brien and it regarded limiting Hibbert's minutes was cause for notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post

Yeah, I see that.

I really have a hard time believing that he's going to sit Roy and only play him 20 minutes. But why would he even say anything like that knowing its going to be on paper?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

He could have been making a comment referring to Hibbert's recent foul problems, where we are forced to play him 20 minutes..

I don't think sarcasm is the right word, but I don't think he's suggesting anything with that comment.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Solo has been the only one hitting the offensive glass on this road trip. He has stood out considerably considering Roy's poor play/lack of minutes.

Solo has had a few good games recently but he's killed us in a few games this year as well. If Foster plays versus Solo in the game against the Thunder, I think we win the battle of the boards and that game. Solo wasn't our only problem against Utah but we'd have been better off giving Jeff his 16 minutes where Solo pulled down 1 board and 1 point. Jeff is consistant and if he's healthy as JOB states then he gives the team a better chance of winning then Solo simply because he's a better rebounder, better defender and overall a better player.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I see that.

I really have a hard time believing that he's going to sit Roy and only play him 20 minutes. But why would he even say anything like that knowing its going to be on paper?
    Because MOST people can comprehend what he's saying! Jeech!

People are getting so negative that they are spoiling Pacers Digest! I no longer read threads, I sample. I'm sorry I read most of this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Because MOST people can comprehend what he's saying! Jeech!

People are getting so negative that they are spoiling Pacers Digest! I no longer read threads, I sample. I'm sorry I read most of this one!

I don't understand how to respond. 90% of the time I support Jim- not easy to do, trust me. I know that a lot of things that he does is based on biases and preference of stretch fours and outside shooting, but he is NOT some kind of idiot that knows nothing, IMO. He has done a good job with other teams.- and 98% of the time I support Bird- his actions as GM speak for himself. I am anything but a "troll", at least in my eyes. I really try hard to use no biases.

But in this one instance, I don't understand why Jim would say something like that, or better yet, why that quote would be quoted in this particular article. It doesn't make very much sense. Better yet, if Jeff is practicing, traveling, etc. I think he should be playing backup C. But that's a different discussion.

How am I spoiling PD? Again, I'm simply .

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

I don't understand how to respond. 90% of the time I support Jim- not easy to do, trust me. I know that a lot of things that he does is based on biases and preference of stretch fours and outside shooting, but he is NOT some kind of idiot that knows nothing, IMO. He has done a good job with other teams.- and 98% of the time I support Bird- his actions as GM speak for himself. I am anything but a "troll", at least in my eyes. I really try hard to use no biases.

But in this one instance, I don't understand why Jim would say something like that, or better yet, why that quote would be quoted in this particular article. It doesn't make very much sense. Better yet, if Jeff is practicing, traveling, etc. I think he should be playing backup C. But that's a different discussion.

How am I spoiling PD? Again, I'm simply .
    I was rather harsh and it wasn't aimed at you, the tone of the thread got to me. Sorry!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post: