Thread: JOB: Irrelevant who starts at SG

Default JOB: Irrelevant who starts at SG

Didn't see this posted.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...h-or-Dunleavy-

Rush or Dunleavy?
    Shooting guards are interchangeable, coach says

Written by

Mike Wells

PHOENIX -- Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien doesn't think people should read too much into Brandon Rush starting at shooting guard in three of the four games during the team's trip, which wrapped up Friday at Phoenix.

O'Brien said he's comfortable with either Rush or Mike Dunleavy starting.

The opponent will usually determine whom O'Brien goes with as the starting shooting guard.

"It's irrelevant to me who starts," O'Brien said. "It doesn't matter to me at all because I don't think it's important."

O'Brien started Rush during the three games because he wanted him to guard Kobe Bryant of the Lakers, Deron Williams of Utah and Jason Richardson of Phoenix.

The Pacers are 3-2 with Rush starting. Before his 21-point effort in Friday's game, Rush was averaging 15.0 points as a starter and only 9.0 points as a reserve. Dunleavy (16 points Friday) was averaging 13.1 points as a starter, 8.3 as a reserve.

"I don't think this is a team where I need to stroke anybody's ego," O'Brien said. "The lineups with Brandon and Michael starting are both successful for us."

Dunleavy and Rush each said starting does not make a difference because of their three-man rotation, which includes Danny Granger.

"Honestly, it really doesn't matter," Rush said. "I know I'm going to get minutes every game. So it's not an issue to me."

Watching LeBron's return, too

Just like most sports fans around the country, many of the Pacers spent their off night in Phoenix Thursday watching the much-anticipated return of LeBron James to Cleveland, where he played the first seven years of his career.

"I definitely watched it," Granger said. "I was curious to see what the reaction was going to be. I just wish it was a better game."

James was booed and taunted throughout the game as expected after he gave Cleveland the cold shoulder and decided to sign with the Miami Heat last summer.

James got the last laugh, accumulating 38 points, five rebounds and eight assists in the Heat's blowout victory.

"I wanted to see the craziness of the whole situation," Dunleavy said. "Regardless of what would have happened, you would have been left with the feeling of feeling bad for Cleveland that he left, because they had such a good thing going before he left. In some ways you feel bad for LeBron, too, because he's never going to make anybody happy. It's almost like a lose, lose situation."

Price active

O'Brien activated all three of his point guards for the first time this season. Veteran center Jeff Foster, who has appeared in only two games this season, joined rookies Lance Stephenson and Paul George on the inactive list.

O'Brien said he activated A.J. Price because he was inclined to go with a small lineup, which meant sliding Josh McRoberts to center rather than using an extra big man.
    I don't know. Doesn't JOB starting Rush against the Lakers and Jazz contradict that it's irrelevant who starts? Or is he trying to say that it's not worth making a fuss over who starts? Sometimes JOB doesn't articulate effectively.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: JOB: Irrelevant who starts at SG

I don't think that whoever starts is really relevant either.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think JOB slightly misspoke and he might have even conceded so if pressed. When the Pacers face a team with a really prolific backcourt scorer, Rush is likely to start. In any other case, we're likely to see Dunleavy. Their minutes will likely be relatively equal in all cases.

That being said, Rush actually played really well last night, and Dunleavy didn't look too bad either. If both play within their games neither one out there will be a huge liability.

I think that his wordage is poor here... Certainly he cares who starts, but who gets the most starts this season is irrelevant...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish JOB's coaching was irrelevant...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I have no comment either way about the content of his quotes or this story, but I do think he should avoid the word "irrelevant" as a general rule for the rest of his tenure as coach.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Banned

O'Brien said he activated A.J. Price because he was inclined to go with a small lineup, which meant sliding Josh McRoberts
    This right here tells me that he is still the same guy he was all this years, they just took away his toy Troy Murphy and got replaced with Posey, a guy that is not that good but is an improvement over Troy.

I was ready to see the small line up yesterday, I am ready to see the small line up monday.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want to see anymore small-ball ever if it can be helped. It's a gimmic, not a gameplan.

How many championships have been won with small-ball?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

^ i might be misremembering, but didnt a few bulls championship teams have rodman-kukoc-pippen as the frontcourt...that's kinda small ball...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty sure when people hate on small ball, they're not referring to PFs who happened to be of smaller stature, but the kind of ball where a small forward is pretending to play the PF position. Different kinds of game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't like our coaches coaching. Nothing he says really ever makes sense. Larry Bird plllleeeeeeaaaaasssseee fire Jim Obrien. Oh and p.s. the team will play better.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

"It's irrelevant to me who starts," O'Brien said.
    If there is one word I'd remove from my lexicon if I were JOB...

GD you LG33, I can't compete.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-05-2010 at 09:37 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I've always thought the point of small ball was to be quicker. But small ball with Dunleavy and Posey isn't very quick, it's just small.

4^ yeah but didnt kukoc have the skillset of a SF, and rodman that of a PF?

not that i'm arguing the larger point, although last night i don't see how hibbert could have gotten out to frye any better than solo/mcbob, even w/o the foul trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want to see anymore small-ball ever if it can be helped. It's a gimmic, not a gameplan.

How many championships have been won with small-ball?
    Why are you talking about winning championships? Small ball can help win games if you employ it correctly. I don't have a problem with it in small doses.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Pippen, Kukoc, and Rodman what about 7'2 265lb Luc Longley. He was the starter at center He was always underrated for a lottery pick. I watched him play quite a bit when I lived in the Twin Cities.

I really can't think of any true small ball teams that have actually competed for a championship. But I'd have to say the best I've ever seen compete was that Warriors team that knocked off the Mavericks a few years back. (of course they had a little help from us)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think consistent lineups and rotations DO make a difference. The same guys playing together with the same guys DOES make a difference.

I hate to even bring it up, but I will anyway. Carlisle went so far to maintain continuity that if a starter was out, he would not simply start the next guy from the depth chart. He would maintain the bench rotation as is and start a player that may not play very much, so you didn't have 2 rotations changed, your bench & and your starters.

JOB has hardly ever used the same rotation of players or division of minutes for more than 2 games since he has been here. Just one of the many reasons I despise his coaching.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

JOB has hardly ever used the same rotation of players or division of minutes for more than 2 games since he has been here. Just one of the many reasons I despise his coaching.
    That was the first thing that I noticed and got me concerned. He is the exact opposite of Carlisle. My biggest problem with Carlisle, other than he just didn't fit the team the last couple of years (not his fault), was how strict he was with the line-ups and rotations. Now we have the complete polar opposite, and I just want someone in between that understands the importance of having a set rotation but isn't afraid to stray from it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Didn't see this posted.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...h-or-Dunleavy-

I don't know. Doesn't JOB starting Rush against the Lakers and Jazz contradict that it's irrelevant who starts? Or is he trying to say that it's not worth making a fuss over who starts? Sometimes JOB doesn't articulate effectively.
    And mosttimes people here pick apart everything the guy says or does.
    He said pretty clearly that it's not worth making a fuss over.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    If there is one word I'd remove from my lexicon if I were JOB...

GD you DG33, I can't compete.
    Maybe he should start using the word "inconceivable"

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

What I hate is the idea of AJ playing SG that moves Danny to PF. I could care less if Dunleavy and Rush at the wing push him there. I hated small ball with Troy at Center. But McBob there against Andrea Bargnani.

And to think of it...AJ against Barbosa/Bayless is not so bad after all. Nah screw JOB he knows nothing.

small ball is used by teams that don't have enough quality big guys - like the Pacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    small ball is used by teams that don't have enough quality big guys - like the Pacers
    Or by coaches that love small. Like Jim Obrien.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    Or by coaches that love small. Like Jim Obrien.
    I don't think he loves small. he likes veterans as do 90% of the other NBA head coaches and he likes having three point shooters on the floor. If he could have a couple of 7 foot three point shooters I'm sure he'd be very happy. but it just so happens that most good three point shooters are smaller
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-04-2010 at 09:52 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't think he loves small. he likes veterans as do 90% of the other NBA head coaches and he likes having three pint shooters on the floor. If he could have a couple of 7 foot three point shooters I'm sure he'd be very happy. but it just so happens that most good three point shooters are smaller
    So in other words he is not the right coach for the team, he should be coaching some european team.