Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you send George to the D-League?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Would you send George to the D-League?

Just thought it was something to chew on, Roy tweeted that he notices a lot of rookies getting sent to the D-League this season, and we've suggested it for Lance, but I think Paul could benefit too.

Thoughts?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Would you send George to the D-League?

I would not, I think he will benefit more from practicing against Granger and Rush than he would playing in the D-League.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

As long as he's the 4th wing in the depth chart, no.

Now, if he's losing that spot to Jones, I would. Hard to say without knowing what he's been showing in practices.

I like what the Celtics have done in recent years. They keep the rookies for awhile to allow them to adapt to the team and the NBA - the travelling, type of practices, etc - then after a couple of months they send them to the D-League for a period, then after a few weeks they call them back up - generally in a stretch where the schedule is lighter and the team is putting together some practices - then send them back and repeat the cycle till the 3 assignments limit.

I don't like the idea of just sending a player to the D-League at the start of the season and then keep him there the entire season unless you're hit by injuries (especially for teams without direct affiliation).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Interesting thought ,

In a wierd way I would say PG yes and Lance no. reason being I think PG is strong enough mentally to accept that challenge and proper. Lance , however, would have little support and (depending on the coach) little coaching which might further enhance his low BB IQ
    Sittin on top of the world!

Yea I like the Celtics model as well.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I agree with Larry and JOB here, I think players learn more and improve more from playing with the team.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't be someone who would use the D-League and I agree with Bird to not send players down to it.

I think Paul learns more from the players if he stays here because this is his team.

Personally, I think the NBA should be doing all it can to improve the D-League and if that means sending the occasional young, top 10 pick down then so be it.

Soccer in Europe has been doing it for years, guys like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta all played at lower level Barcelona clubs before making it to the big stage.

What did we draft Paul George for? IMO, it was to become an elite scorer, something he has the tools to do, but wasn't even really an elite scorer in college. How do you learn to become an elite scorer? I think you've got to get the chance to handle the rock, to be the go to guy. George would get that in the D-League.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

The rookies biggest problems are in not executing the defensive or offensive plan. Sending them to the D-League would only hinder that even more... they need to be there in practice so they can get the Pacers system, not the Mad Ants system.

This is why the D-League should be strengthened, and there should be a greater connection between farm team and top team.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I would send Lance to Fort Wayne tomorrow without thinking twice.

I would rather them keep George on the big squad though. I think he can help us this season.

I agree with cordobes, but I would send Lance to the D League. He's not going to play unless we get a torrent of injuries.

Uh, I don't know what you've heard, but we don't have a D-League team. We lost our affiliation to Milwaukee. Sucks that we're the only team without one, but whatcha gonna do?

/stupd ing, god-, hat, piece of green
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, I don't know what you've heard, but we don't have a D-League team. We lost our affiliation to Milwaukee. Sucks that we're the only team without one, but whatcha gonna do?

Ft. Wayne Mad Ants web site still shows them as an affiliate of the Pacers, where did you find out otherwise?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

What Kegboy? I don't think that's correct. We share with MIL and DET.

I'd think you guys would know by now, /green is my substitute for green text, because it's ugly.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 11-30-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I'd think you guys would know by now, /green is my substitute for green text, because it's ugly.
    I interpreted that section as you cursing out Bird.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I wouldn't; one of the reasons being the stigma attached to sending players to the D-League. The Grizzlies sent Thabeet to the D-League last year and that raised eyebrows. If we did the same thing, there might be a similar reaction. The NBA is a business and the Pacers need to protect their assets, in this case, George.

Mood

Just got done w/ practice. Paul n Lance both had really good practices. They r tryin 2 get better. Even played 1 on 1 after

via roy hibberts twitter 22 hrs ago
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 11-30-2010 at 04:08 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    I wouldn't; one of the reasons being the stigma attached to sending players to the D-League. The Grizzlies sent Thabeet to the D-League last year and that raised eyebrows. If we did the same thing, there might be a similar reaction. The NBA is a business and the Pacers need to protect their assets, in this case, George.
    Thabeet was the #2 pick, that's why it raised eyebrows. And what you call "stigma", I call motivation.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I would not send Paul George to the D-League. Yet. If we get to March and it looks like we'll be a playoff team and Paul still isn't playing, I would do it then.

That said, the D-League was absolutely made for guys like Lance Stephenson. I haven't seen a player in a Pacer uniform in more need of a humbling experience than Lance. Ft. Wayne would provide that. I don't think Lance will make it as a pro. But there is a chance that the D-League could provide a similar maturation process that it did for Josh McRoberts in Portland. I don't think it will but it's worth rolling the dice. Lance should have been in Ft. Wayne for the start of their season.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    That said, the D-League was absolutely made for guys like Lance Stephenson. I haven't seen a player in a Pacer uniform in more need of a humbling experience than Lance. Ft. Wayne would provide that. I don't think Lance will make it as a pro. .
    BRush

Not defending it either way but curious as to why you think Lance wont make it

Is it on court, off court or some combination and why?

Reason I am asking is I generally enjoy your posts
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I would not send Paul George to the D-League. Yet. If we get to March and it looks like we'll be a playoff team and Paul still isn't playing, I would do it then.

That said, the D-League was absolutely made for guys like Lance Stephenson. I haven't seen a player in a Pacer uniform in more need of a humbling experience than Lance. Ft. Wayne would provide that. I don't think Lance will make it as a pro. But there is a chance that the D-League could provide a similar maturation process that it did for Josh McRoberts in Portland. I don't think it will but it's worth rolling the dice. Lance should have been in Ft. Wayne for the start of their season.
    He lacks the discpline. The guy can barley focus during a shoot around. I hope he gets his mind right. He doesnt pratice to hard from the few times ive seen him playing 1v1 with the pacers staff. I hope it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    That vision is becoming a bit outdated I think; as teams keep sending more and more 1st rounders and lottery picks to the D-League people stop seeing things from that perspective.

Paul George wouldn't even be the first player from last draft's lottery to be sent to the D-League this year. Nor the second. Not even the third. Not a big deal any more. Franchises like the Rockets, Spurs and Thunder have done a good job helping that stigma to be erased.

Sending a player to the D-League shouldn't be seen as a demotion or a punishment or anything negative. It's just a developmental tool for the player.

The problem with the "they learn more in practices" theory is that there are stretches of the season where the team barely practices and when it practices it's difficult to include guys who are far behind and won't be relied to contribute any time soon in practices. In the D-League they have all the time in the world to practice and they can develop their games playing in real game situations that fit their developmental stage (instead of developing bad habits playing at a much higher level).

So I think the best solution is to get the best of both worlds. If the project is already a borderline rotation player, then there's no reason to send him to the D-League.

These are generic thoughts though, in the end each case is a case.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    BRush

Not defending it either way but curious as to why you think Lance wont make it

Is it on court, off court or some combination and why?

Reason I am asking is I generally enjoy your posts
    Both on court and off court.

He's a long way from being a good offensive basketball player at this point. He'll score. But he won't do it efficiently and he won't do anything else. He doesn't work well within a team offense because he doesn't move without the ball and he is not a good passer once he gets it. He can drive and overpower smaller players to score but he's not a good jumpshooter. He's a tweener guard with limited athleticism and tweener guards almost always have to be outstanding shooters to succeed. Lance is not.

I have not even touched on the other end of the floor but I'll just say that while he has a very long way to go to be a good offensive basketball player, he has a much, much higher hill to climb to be even an average defensive player.

If you are going to be a severe off the court risk, as Lance most assuredly is, you need to be a very, very good player to succeed. Ron Artest is an example of this. If your ceiling is as a mediocre NBA player, in addition to be an off the court issue, you probably won't make it. Lance Stephenson is closer to Shawne Williams than he is to Ron Artest in that regard.

I hope Lance turns it around. He does have some raw talent. I think the D-League would give him the best opportunity to grow up so that he could use that talent in a couple years. I just don't think it'll happen with him.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: