Thread: Rivers to Miami chatter lingers: JOB Mentioned ESPN Insider Rumor

Default Rivers to Miami chatter lingers: JOB Mentioned ESPN Insider Rumor

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Last week, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports floated Doc Rivers and Nate McMillan -- two coaches who could be free agents this coming summer -- as possible replacements for Heat coach Erik Spoelstra next season.

And Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald also beat this drum Wednesday.

"Although Rivers likes his situation in Boston (where he is in the final year of his contract), two NBA officials said they would not be surprised if he took the Heat job, if offered next summer, for multiple reasons -- his respect for [Pat] Riley and [Micky] Arison; the Heat's talent base (younger than Boston's); and the fact his family lives in Orlando (closer to Miami), among others," he wrote. "If the Heat is looking for a coach next summer and cannot lure Rivers, keep in mind two other respected coaches -- Portland's Nate McMillan and Indiana's Jim O'Brien, who also are in the final season of contracts."

O'Brien has the Pacers primed for a playoff appearance so far this season, and though no extension has yet to be offered, the Pacers may look to lock him up again sooner rather than later.

As for Rivers, he contemplated not coming back to coach this season to be closer to his family, so Jackson's comments here are not to be dismissed.

But for now, this is more speculative dot-connecting than rooted in actuality.

-- Ryan Corazza

Default Re: Rivers to Miami chatter lingers: JOB Mentioned ESPN Insider Rumor

I lol'd.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JOB in Miami? I would die of laughter.

Why wait Riley? You can have JOB NOW!!

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If Spoelstra really is let go, and JOB is as well, I'd be very much in favor of going after Spoelstra. Such a different team from when O'Brien was brought in, I remember him basically being a last resort since no one wanted the gig. I think we'd have our choice of a number of quality guys now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JOB in Miami? I would die of laughter.
    Why he's perfect for Miami, his wide open offense would fit nicely with the cast of clowns here.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

I read that earlier on Hoopshype. Miami is more than welcome to him!

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Man it never ceases to amaze me! What has Obrien done to garner such respect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HOOPFANATIC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HOOPFANATIC View Post
    Man it never ceases to amaze me! What has Obrien done to garner such respect.
    Nothing, everyone in the league who respects him (including Larry Bird) is completely clueless and doesn't know basketball. We all KNOW the truth.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Maybe it's like Hollywood.

if JOB in MIA ... Chalmers better start playing C
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I find it hard to believe that O'Brien was rumored to be on the hot seat last season to suddenly becoming a hot coaching commodity just because the Pacers are playing .500-level basketball.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

I don't like Jimmy..but I wouldn't wish Miami on him..

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

"Lock him up"?? JOB has reached "needs to be locked up for fear of losing him" status by someone?

Or did they mean a different kind of locking him up because I might be able to go for that.

OKay wow, now I really am starting to think this is all a set up to give JOB an extension as was mentioned in another thread.

No way in hell does JOB coach the Miami Heat next season.

Banned

Lebron would be the center in Miami if Jim is there, Bosh would go from soft to Troy Murphy, he will ask him to shoot like 500 threes a day, Ilgauskas would play all 48 minutes a game because a veteran like him " give us a better chance to win"

Edit: the team would win 35games and UB would say that Jim overachieve and that he is the greates coach ever
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-02-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Didn't Jim write/blog for ESPN before he took the Pacers gig?

Maybe he is calling in a favor from some of those in that dept at the "World Wide Leader"
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basketball still requires a 5 man line-up, right?

I'm still trying to figure out if the Heat band-wagon-ers suffer from acute ignorance or arrogance.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Didn't Jim write/blog for ESPN before he took the Pacers gig?

Maybe he is calling in a favor from some of those in that dept at the "World Wide Leader"
    Wasn't he an "in studio analyst" for someone after his Philly stint? I think it was ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    Nothing, everyone in the league who respects him (including Larry Bird) is completely clueless and doesn't know basketball. We all KNOW the truth.
    This is sarcasm, right? .......right?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wasn't he an "in studio analyst" for someone after his Philly stint? I think it was ESPN.
    Yes, for two years.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that O'Brien was rumored to be on the hot seat last season to suddenly becoming a hot coaching commodity just because the Pacers are playing .500-level basketball.
    You are correct. It isn't just this season, but Jim was well respected for what he did in Boston for sure and i think outside of Indy Jim is well respected for what he did with the pacers the first two seasons here.

Jim was never in the studio - but did write a blog for ESPN.com

It seems like someone was writing an article and decided to list the coaches without a contract for next year. Nate McMillan and Jim O'Brien? Why would you let Spoelstra go and take any of those guys? Ok, they are experienced and respected by some GMs, but are they respected by superstars? It's not like they are title winners. If you are not getting a Phil Jackson, Popovich, Coach K or someone of similar reputation, you are insane to replace Spoelstra in the first place.

I like the idea, let's make a deal with them and offer Posey and Dunleavy for Chris Bosh so that JOB has a strech PF and another good shooter and gets rid of somebody who is no threat from beyond the arc.