Thread: "Contender/Pretender" Vol. 6 - Dallas Mavericks

Default "Contender/Pretender" Vol. 6 - Dallas Mavericks

I guess I've kinda taken this over, though don't hesitate to create a new thread if it slips my mind.

We are going through each team in alphabetical order and discussing their potential for the upcoming season. Originally we were discussing their contention for an NBA championship. Please state if you think the team will make the playoffs and in what seed. Other than that, just give your opinion!

Vol. 6 is the first Western Conference team: Dallas Mavericks.

Probable starters (if I get these wrong tell me yours)

Jason Terry
    Michael Finley
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Dirk Nowitski
    Erick Dampier

Bench (obviously they ultimately will have to cut some guys):

Tariq Abdul-Wahad?, Shawn Bradley, Calvin Booth, Marquis Daniels, Dan Dickau?, Evan Eschmeyer, Devin Harris, Alan Henderson, Dider Ilunga-Mbenga, Josh Howard, Pavel Podkolzin Jon Stefansson?

Coach: Don Nelson
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Default Re:

Same old Mavs, they won't win anything, they'll go deep in the playoffs, but that's it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re:

Actually, Soup, I'd say you've got it backwards. They'll win a lot (regular season), but WONT go deep in the playoffs.

Default Re:

I see this being a rough season for the Mavericks; their luck with practically no team chemistry has to end sometime.

Default Re:

marquis daniels will start for the mavs.....he played outstanding the second half of the season and the postseason. i expect stackhouse to take a 6th man role or be shipped out.

terry
    daniels
    finley
    dirk
    damp

6th man = stackhouse and howard.

i think the mavs are contenders with the addition of damp and the emergence of howard and daniels. dallas has always lacked that inside size to bang, they now have that. damp is a top 3 center in the west. they also have two young talents in howard and daniels. daniels has great court vision and can fill up a box score very quickly. howard was probably the best player in the summer league.

only obstacle for dallas is that tough division they are in. i expect them to finish top 3 in the west.

Default Re:

I agree with my fellow Boilermaker; with Terry replacing Nash, you need Daniel's in there to create offense. Stack's great 6th man material, and maybe a bruised ego will do him good.

Before the Dampier trade, I would have come right out and said that I didn't expect Dallas to make the playoffs. Now, , I don't know, there roster is just too wack to make heads or tails of it. Add in Nellie rotations and play-calling being the exact opposite of common sense, their 6 centers and Cuban probably making 5 or 6 more trades before the deadline, and I seriously can't make any kind of intelligent predictions.

Soo..., I'll just say that they can make the playoffs, but I just don't see them getting past the first-round. They've got the talent, but coaching and chemistry count for too much in this league.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re:

I think there worse off then last year and I think Cuban has been smoking to much weed

this team is a joke now...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Default Re:

ACtually this team in my opinion has become much more of a respectable team capable of actually winning something significant (i.e. in the playoffs) for once.

Getting rid of nash and antione and opening up playing time for Howard and Daniels (probably their two best players) plus the addition of a real perimeter defender has turned this team into one that actually has defensive potential.

But theyll probably just try to run and gun it again and actually take a step back compared to last year.

They still have too many unneccessary parts in my opinion. Their rotation should consist of Terry, Finley, Daniels, Dirk, Dampier, howard, harris and one more big man (bradley or booth) and the rest should never play. Including stackhouse.

All those players besides Dirk are capable in the right system of being great defensive players, and Dirk is too offensively gifted to not play obviously. The addition of Dampier helps this team probably more than Damp would help any other team because he will hide Dirk's liability defensively by taking on the stronger post player on the opposing team.

Losing nash hurts them offensively but he was such a defensive liability. The combo of Devin Harris and Jason Terry does not come close to making up Nash's playmaking abilities, but those two both pack a scoring punch and are both light years ahead of Nash defensively. They wont miss Antoine at all, and Antawn's role is easily replaceable by Josh Howard.

Get rid of stackhouse and this team is no longer just an assemblage of incohesive talent as it was last year but a real team. Instill a new defensive minded philosophy and this team is a contender.

If Harris, Pavel, Marquis and Josh all improve at a rapid pace, this team is a more than serious contender.

canyoufeelit

Default Re:

the one thing separating the mavs from being a legit championship contender to what they are know (2nd round fodder) is don nelson. Fire him and I would like their chances a lot better. Nelson's track record in the playoffs is no coincidence, kind of like Rick Adelman

of course it would also help if cuban would stop trying to play fantasy league gm with his team and stop trading his players so much, allowing his team to develop some sort of chemistry

Default Re:

Same old Mavs. Win 50 plus games, Cuban makes a few headlines, out in the 1st or 2nd rd.

Questionable defense (though PERHAPS slightly improved) and a lack of a post game spells playoff elimination.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re:

I like what they've done... I think it'll keep them in the same place as the last couple of years and prevent them from having to rebuild... they won't be winning a championship this year however... too much competition in the west and they still won't play defense.
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re:

I will say contenders.They have a great offense and they may play alittle better Defense than last year.I don't see them in the WCF though.I see a Spurs-Twolves WCF.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Default Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the one thing separating the mavs from being a legit championship contender to what they are know (2nd round fodder) is don nelson. Fire him and I would like their chances a lot better. Nelson's track record in the playoffs is no coincidence, kind of like Rick Adelman

of course it would also help if cuban would stop trying to play fantasy league gm with his team and stop trading his players so much, allowing his team to develop some sort of chemistry

i agree completely with this statement, especially in its inclusion of Rick Adelman. Adelman and NElson need to go before those 2 teams ever win jack.

Joel

Default Re:

You guys are being too hard on Adelman. The Kings would of won a title in 01-02 if they just made some free throws. What is Rick going to do, shoot for them?

As far as the Mavs are concerned. I see them as a 4-6 seed, that will probably make the second round and get bounced. Not enough chemistry or defense.

I like Minny, SA, Sac, Denver, and Houston more than I like the Mavs team.

Default Re:

Thanks to some humiliation last night I have a new found respect for the Mavs. Of course it all revolves around whether Dampier can recreate his performance last year. This team has consistently lost in the clutch because anyone over 200 lbs can score on them without fail and the Mavs have to pray their jumpers fall (which even for the Mavs, eventually the jumper is less consistent than the dunk or lay-up).

Lossing Nash sucks but neither Finley nor Dirk (nor Stack nor Terry) need someone to get them shots so its more like losing a luxury.

I respect the Chemistry angle and with 4 guys who can decide just to play one on one at any moment this team could be the Wizards of last year. However, winning usually breads confidence and confidence can take you pretty far. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mavs make it to the WCF but a tough defense (Spurs) can rattle the psuedo-chemistry this team will have and I don't think this team wins it all.

P.S. Stackhouse should never be the #1 option on any team especially a team with Dirk or Finley.

Default Re:

Yeh, doesn't Stackhouse almost make twice the turnovers that Fin does. I would never prefer to have the ball in stack's hands than Dirk's. If Dirk has a small guy on him, he can shoot it over them. I don't any big man can go to the perimeter and guard Dirk without Dirk driving past them.

IMO, Dirk can be an average defender (not great) at PF. He will likely play 90% of minutes at PF now and suspect he will take a front seat as the Mavs go to man.

If Damp averages 10 rebounds a game and stays healthy then he worth every bit of the contract the Mavs gave him.

If Harris can contribute to the rotation as Howard and Daniels did last year, that will make the Mavs look even better. Harris was the 5th pick inthe draft. Howard was the last pick in round 1 of the draft last year. daniels went undrafted.

Gonna be a real unpredictable year for the Mavs. They could be really good or slumber into the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed. A dirk injury might keep them out of the playoffs.

Overall, the Mavs did nice little rebuild. the Nash, Fin, Dirk era had probably run it's course. Now the Mavs have gotten younger and more athletic on the perimeter. The roster is more balanced. Even though Fin is still here the orster is built to complement Dirk. From Mav land, I expect a win total similar to last year (low 50's). The difference being that the Mavs look like a team heading North rather than south.