Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Prospect Scouting Thread

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2011 Prospect Scouting Thread

Demetri McCamey continues to be criminally underrated. A 6'3", 200 lb. point guard with excellent skills, who's 50% from both the field and downtown.

But hey, he's a disgusting, deplorable senior (eww...) and doesn't look that athletic, so he's not worth drafting in the first round. Isn't that right, Mr. Landry Fields?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah,

Woah.

I didn't notice that Brandon Knight has fallen off a pedestal and he's projected to go at 17 right now in this early college season. At 18 ppg, 47% fg, 3.9 assists, and 39.8 3pt% I really want Larry to take a long, nice look at this guy. He has very nice size. I'd take him even though we have Collison because we have no idea how good Knight might be.

It makes no sense that Jon Henson would be projected after him. Jon Henson is soft, a tweener, and to top it all off he's not even good and he's a year older than Knight. He lacks super sweet tools like size at his position unlike Knight. Having him projected at 10 makes me do this:

I think McCamey is a pretty damn good pick, but he's a whole lot like AJ Price and we already have stability at the backup spot. He'll be good for some team the only thing is that he has kind of a slow release, but that isn't a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't notice that Brandon Knight has fallen off a pedestal and he's projected to go at 17 right now in this early college season. At 18 ppg, 47% fg, 3.9 assists, and 39.8 3pt% I really want Larry to take a long, nice look at this guy. He has very nice size. I'd take him even though we have Collison because we have no idea how good Knight might be.
    I, too, like Knight and think he'd be a great value if he were available at our pick.

Holy ****... I think Nolan Smith dribbles the ball more per possesion than Travis Best himself.

Hello all, this is my first post but I follow this forum since the start of this season

I'm not sure it's a good idea to pick a scoring PG who will have the same profile than Collison.

Why not taking a playmaker ? Antoine Diot can be a good choice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Diot

He has the advantage to have played at hight level in the European Championship with nba players like Parker, Diaw, Batum, Turiaf, Mahinmi. So he is nba ready.

Do you know him ? I'd like to know what you think about him.

Hello, this is my first post, but I follow this forum since the start of the season

I'm not sure it's a good idea to pick a scoring PG with the same profile than Collison. Why not taking a playmaker in order to adapt to the opponent ?

Antoine diot might be a good choice : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Diot

He already play at hight level at the european championship with players like Parker, Diaw, Batum and Turiaf.

well jimmer fredette just put up 39pts on 12-25 shooting and 7-13 from three with 6rebs and 5asts (40 mins played) in leading byu (15-1) to a win over a very good unlv squad. by the end of the year, he'll most likely be the nation's leading scorer and have byu ranked top 10. and he's done this against every sort of competition he has faced.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    well jimmer fredette just put up 39pts on 12-25 shooting and 7-13 from three with 6rebs and 5asts (40 mins played) in leading byu (15-1) to a win over a very good unlv squad. by the end of the year, he'll most likely be the nation's leading scorer and have byu ranked top 10. and he's done this against every sort of competition he has faced.
    A lot of people really like him, but I am not a huge fan. I haven't seen more than 3 or 4 of his games, so admittedly I'm not an expert on the guy, but he doesn't seem like anyone I would take higher than 28th. His defense would be exposed horribly in the NBA.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    I, too, like Knight and think he'd be a great value if he were available at our pick.
    Knight = Jared bayless to small to play SG and isnt very good at pg. But at 17 he would be a solid pick. Jason Terry like pro 6th man who can score in bunches.

He'll become a better playmaker. The main reason I want him though is his defense. It isn't there right now but at 6'3"-6'4" he has all the potential. With Collison we are always going to have problems against Derrick Rose, John Wall type big point guards. Put Knight in there and slow them down.

He's only 19 too and a pretty bright kid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    A lot of people really like him, but I am not a huge fan. I haven't seen more than 3 or 4 of his games, so admittedly I'm not an expert on the guy, but he doesn't seem like anyone I would take higher than 28th. His defense would be exposed horribly in the NBA.
    fredette isn't exactly a poor collegiate defender and is a guy who gives it his all, all game every game. i'd take that any day over a supposed "athlete" who is too lazy to ever make something of himself. fredette has a killer instinct that is hard to find, which is what separates him from other great players in college. also, that killer instinct is nowhere to be found on this pacers team. fredette is a basketball player. he and klay thompson both deserve much more respect than they are currently getting.

fredette isn't exactly a poor collegiate defender and is a guy who gives it his all, all game every game. i'd take that any day over a supposed "athlete" who is too lazy to ever make something of himself. fredette has a killer instinct that is hard to find, which is what separates him from other great players in college. also, that killer instinct is nowhere to be found on this pacers team. fredette is a basketball player. he and klay thompson both deserve much more respect than they are currently getting.
    We'll have to agree do disagree about both Jimmer and Klay. Even if Fredette did give his all, he doesn't have the physical gifts to even come close to slowing down quick point guards, which the NBA is chock full of. Klay got his *** shut down in the weak Pac-10 last season. Pass on him too.

Mood

kids got game

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    We'll have to agree do disagree about both Jimmer and Klay. Even if Fredette did give his all, he doesn't have the physical gifts to even come close to slowing down quick point guards, which the NBA is chock full of. Klay got his *** shut down in the weak Pac-10 last season. Pass on him too.
    makes you wonder how guys like steve nash, mark price, danny ainge, and other white "unathletic" guards ever made it in this league. defensive deficiencies can be masked in the nba given the right system and supporting cast. not only that but an "unathletic" player can even excel in such a situation, especially if he has an understanding of the game like fredette has. taking "athletes" over fundamentally sound basketball players is part of the reason the nba lost much of its appeal in the late 90s and 2000s. i applaud the warriors for taking curry 7th based solely on basketball ability, and will equally applaud any team that takes fredette top 20. fredette's lack of physical gifts has him at 25ppg on 48% shooting and has no problem getting shots off against double teams and as the focal point of the defense every night out.

also, being an iu i'm curious as to whether you prefer the more athletically gifted verdell jones or the unathletic jordan hulls?

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    kids got game
    he's improved a ton this year vs last year. if he can keep it up, he'll surely be an all-american and a potential lottery pick.

makes you wonder how guys like steve nash, mark price, danny ainge, and other white "unathletic" guards ever made it in this league. defensive deficiencies can be masked in the nba given the right system and supporting cast. not only that but an "unathletic" player can even excel in such a situation, especially if he has an understanding of the game like fredette has. taking "athletes" over fundamentally sound basketball players is part of the reason the nba lost much of its appeal in the late 90s and 2000s. i applaud the warriors for taking curry 7th based solely on basketball ability, and will equally applaud any team that takes fredette top 20. fredette's lack of physical gifts has him at 25ppg on 48% shooting and has no problem getting shots off against double teams and as the focal point of the defense every night out.

also, being an iu i'm curious as to whether you prefer the more athletically gifted verdell jones or the unathletic jordan hulls?
    I never brought "white" into it. That's all you. I just don't think Fredette is in a class like the gentlemen you mentioned. I also never said that I wanted "athletes". I think you have to have a certain amount of athleticism to play point guard in the NBA, and I'm not sure Jimmer has enough to be anything more than a backup. There have been plenty of guys (especially guards) who have lit it up in college and do squat in the NBA. Even more when they are doing the bulk of their damage in the Mountain West conference.

I prefer Jordan Hulls to Verdell Jones. Hulls is a better basketball player, and Jones turns it over way too much for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxDems View Post
    Hello all, this is my first post but I follow this forum since the start of this season

I'm not sure it's a good idea to pick a scoring PG who will have the same profile than Collison.

Why not taking a playmaker ? Antoine Diot can be a good choice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Diot

He has the advantage to have played at hight level in the European Championship with nba players like Parker, Diaw, Batum, Turiaf, Mahinmi. So he is nba ready.

Welcome Aboard MD!

yes, i brought "white" into it because that seems to always be mentioned when considering drafting a white player in the 1st round: is he athletic enough? much of the reason guys like hansbrough or reddick or almond aren't as successful in the league is because nba teams rarely seem to focus on the team aspect of basketball and instead rely on the individual side of it. if the pacers drafted a guy like fredette and played a system similar to what utah or san antonio utilize or even larry bird's pacers, fredette would be a huge success on our team.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MaxDems View Post

talk to cordobes he know a lot of euro ballers

yes, i brought "white" into it because that seems to always be mentioned when considering drafting a white player in the 1st round: is he athletic enough? much of the reason guys like hansbrough or reddick or almond aren't as successful in the league is because nba teams rarely seem to focus on the team aspect of basketball and instead rely on the individual side of it. if the pacers drafted a guy like fredette and played a system similar to what utah or san antonio utilize or even larry bird's pacers, fredette would be a huge success on our team.
    Again, agree to disagree. I've been wrong before.

The most intriguing thing about McCamey is his size and strength. When he gets bigger in the leagues he'll be big like Derek Fisher or dare I say it becuase the comparison is used so much, Chauncey. I've liked him since last year, especially for a 2nd round steal. He's got that "pop" shot like Eric Gordon and Chauncey Billups.

He is quick, good playmaker and shooter. I'm not sure what his ceiling is due to age and probable inability to create for himself, but for a late pick he's very nice for a team in need of a change of pace and three point shooting ability.

Just popped in my head since I was flipping channels and saw Illinois playing.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jared Sullinger has impressed me, reminds me of Jordan Hill in certain ways.

Harrison Barnes is looking like a bust, I mean, he clearly isn't worth the #1(or hasn't shown it yet), but judging from what I've seen, I see nothing more than the potential to be an elite scorer, and even then he might be the next Marvin Williams.

One guy who has impressed me a lot in limited minutes is Kendall Marshall. I doubt he will leave for the NBA this year, but he's someone to keep an eye on. The guy has the best vision I've seen in a long time from a PG. Very smart shooter as well, waits for his opportunities while making them for others. His athleticism isn't quite at the NBA level, but he has the potential to be a great PG anyway.

Kemba Walker at best, and I mean if he is extremely lucky, will be a very poor mans Aaron Brooks. I think he will struggle at the next level though.

The fact that we are even trying to compare Fredette to Curry seriously scares me. Anyone making that argument must think Fredette has All-Star potential which is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Hey Naptown Seth, when you start to look at prospects, let me know what you think of

Keith Benson (potentional 2nd rounder)

Dudes putting up some pretty good numbers. He may be able to slide to PF with his frame, cause he seems a bit thin for C.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/keith-benson
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=32376

He plays against IUPUI on 1/6.
    Was anyone able to catch the game and see Keith Benson?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

screw it. i don't care if harrison barnes is struggling a bit right now to live up to the hype, the pacers should do whatever they can to get him on the roster. if we do happen to deal granger for someone like favors and an unprotected 1st, barnes would be the perfect replacement. the kid is an unbelievable talent with an even better head on his shoulders.

McCamey is terrible. That is all for now.