Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Prospect Scouting Thread

Default Re: 2011 Prospect Scouting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JaJuan Johnson makes Chris Bosh look like a banger. Pass.
    Kind of a weird comparison considering the vast differential in talent.

It's sometimes difficult to judge Johnson's translation to the NBA because he's often playing out of position ... or doing things out of position. Without Hummel on the court, he's had to shoot a lot more jumpers this year. What you see there is that he's got a solid 18-footer for a 6-foot-10 guy. What you don't see is anything in the paint.

He'll have major problems establishing position in the NBA because he's just not strong enough. I think his body will continue to develop, but probably more in the lines of a Channing Frye. JaJuan's problem isn't that he's afraid to go bang inside; it's that he's not going to be able to do it at the pro level with regularity because of his stature.

He's had plenty of games where he hasn't been afraid to mix it up with a more physical big man. He's just more talented than they are most of the time. He will actually post up to turn and place a hook. He'll get a guy on his hip and use his quickness to slip off for an easy dunk. He's got an OK turnaround with a guy on him. He's long-armed and has a pretty high release point, so he'll be able to get some shots off.

His real asset off a bench will be an ability to alter shots from the weakside. There should be a role for him in the NBA for that. He'll have to develop to become more than a shot-blocking jump-shooter, though. But guys that size with those skills are rare, and he should get drafted in the back third of the first round.

Oh, and he rebounds like Jermaine O'Neal. All arms and hops.

And since someone brought him up, E'Twaun Moore should be able to make a roster as a second-rounder. One of the more frustrating players to watch as a Purdue alum, because he's either on or straight broke. The difference this year is that he's defending at a much higher level.

E'Twaun's biggest issue is that he's at best an average ball-handler. He won't be able to CDR his way through NBA defenses like he does the college ranks. But he's got a knack for getting his shot off in the lane and can hit an open jumper. Smart player who's becoming more and more willing to dive for a ball. He's Lance Stephenson with some polish and a brain.

Worst thing about E'Twaun: He's a terrible clutch-time free-throw shooter.
    Last edited by Kraft; 01-02-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    Kind of a weird comparison considering the vast differential in talent.

It's sometimes difficult to judge Johnson's translation to the NBA because he's often playing out of position ... or doing things out of position. Without Hummel on the court, he's had to shoot a lot more jumpers this year. What you see there is that he's got a solid 18-footer for a 6-foot-10 guy. What you don't see is anything in the paint.

He'll have major problems establishing position in the NBA because he's just not strong enough. I think his body will continue to develop, but probably more in the lines of a Channing Frye. JaJuan's problem isn't that he's afraid to go bang inside; it's that he's not going to be able to do it at the pro level with regularity because of his stature.

He's had plenty of games where he hasn't been afraid to mix it up with a more physical big man. He's just more talented than they are most of the time. He will actually post up to turn and place a hook. He'll get a guy on his hip and use his quickness to slip off for an easy dunk. He's got an OK turnaround with a guy on him. He's long-armed and has a pretty high release point, so he'll be able to get some shots off.

His real asset off a bench will be an ability to alter shots from the weakside. There should be a role for him in the NBA for that. He'll have to develop to become more than a shot-blocking jump-shooter, though. But guys that size with those skills are rare, and he should get drafted in the back third of the first round.

Oh, and he rebounds like Jermaine O'Neal. All arms and hops.

And since someone brought him up, E'Twaun Moore should be able to make a roster as a second-rounder. One of the more frustrating players to watch as a Purdue alum, because he's either on or straight broke. The difference this year is that he's defending at a much higher level.

E'Twaun's biggest issue is that he's at best an average ball-handler. He won't be able to CDR his way through NBA defenses like he does the college ranks. But he's got a knack for getting his shot off in the lane and can hit an open jumper. Smart player who's becoming more and more willing to dive for a ball. He's Lance Stephenson with some polish and a brain.

Worst thing about E'Twaun: He's a terrible clutch-time free-throw shooter.
    I wasn't really comparing JaJuan and Bosh. Only that they are both soft. I do like E'Twaun Moore though. I think he would be a nice second round pick for someone.

Top Five Prospect(Base on Pacers Position in the draft)
    1. Enes Kanter
    2. Jan Vesely
    3. Trey Thompkins
    4. Josh Selby
    5. Kyle Singler

Marcus Morris is a good player too, but he may struggle between sf/pf position
    Last edited by Kamiyohk; 01-02-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamiyohk View Post
    Top Five Prospect(Base on Pacers Position in the draft)
    1. Enes Kanter
    2. Jan Vesely
    3. Trey Thompkins
    4. Josh Selby
    5. Kyle Singler

Marcus Morris is a good player too, but he may struggle between sf/pf position
    Trey Thompkins really interests me. I live in Georgia so I have seen him play along with Travis Leslie. I'm high on Leslie, he's like a light Dwayne Wade, but we don't need a guard.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

To be a contender for the next few years, we need to draft the best available player at our spot. We need depth at every position, and a star caliber pf to sign out of FA. Zach Randolph is the best prospect, 29y/o, and can score and rebound well. Here are our needs:

1. Power forward: Like I said, we dont need to bring in some young guy to play out of the draft, we need to sign a big time free agent here, that being Zach Randolph. He is exactly the player we need, he rebounds well, scores well, is the same hieght as Tyler, and would be an excellent on the court role model for Tyler for the next 2-3 years. We would need to sign and trade for him, hopefully getting rid of Posey and Jones back to them. Then we develop Tyler, and let him take over when ready. We also need to resign mcbob for our 3 rd string at this position.

2. Wing player: To contend in this league, your wing rotation normally has to be 4 deep, and the two starters are 1, an all star scorer (danny) and another good all around scorer (george or rush). Then to fill it out you need a lock down defender (draft or free agency, posey is not this guy), and another decent wing scorer to come in and fill in for fouls, injuries etc. Thats why Azuibuike or Shannon Brown would be perfect here.

3. A scoring point gaurd: every championship team has its steve kerr, the oversized point gaurd, but still to undersized for the 2 full time, that can come in and provide clutch offense. (Tj is not this guy, aj maybe, kemba walker would be nice)

4. Back up center: Foster is gonna be gone one way or another, or he might resign just to fill out the roster if we improve. I like Enes Kanter here, if he is ruled ineligible to play ncaa ball, he will be in the draft, and like I read yesterday, everyday that he doesnt play ball somewhere, his draft stock falls, maybe he could fall to us. If not someone like Kendrick Perkins would be nice, but Kanter reminds me of Noah, and could be nice at the 4 too.

DC, AJ, Nolan Smith
    Rush, Brown (or Azuibuike), Lance
    Danny, George, Earl Clark (sign out of Fa)
    Zbo, Tyler, McBob
    Roy, Kanter, Foster (resign to help teach and show how to be a pro.)

or

DC, Kemba, AJ
    Rush, Brown or Azuibuke, lance
    Danny, George, Clark
    Zbo, Tyler, McBob
    Roy, Perkins, Foster
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is me being a homer, but I like a kid by the name of Justin Harper at Richmond. 6'10" SF at the NBA level. Great stroke, good handles. Gets to the rim and finishes. Has a back to the basket post up game. With some VERY nice moves to go with a solid fadeaway. He is capable of scoring a lot more, but Richmond doesn't need his scoring as much as his defense. Good on-ball defender and weak-side help defender. Smart kid who is also a good kid and would be a hard worker at the next level. One thing I wonder though is how his quickness would match up against NBA SFs. He can definitely play minutes at the four as well. He would be a great guy to snag in the second round. He reminds me of Danny quite a bit actually. Probably a little stronger than Danny coming out of college and with post up moves. Not as fluid as Danny though.

Regarding Jimmer Fredette, I'd have to see more video of both of them to be sure, but at a glance Curry seems to have a faster release and seems to be quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Regarding Jimmer Fredette, I'd have to see more video of both of them to be sure, but at a glance Curry seems to have a faster release and seems to be quicker.
    idk...you could claim curry might be ever so slightly quicker, but fredette has one of if not the quickest release in college. that zona game is one of the only videos of fredette on youtube. i'd suggest catching a byu game when they're on tv. fredette has these guys in the top 15-20 yet again and is such a joy to watch. it truly is astonishing how alike curry and fredette are. i like fredette's assassin's mentality moreso than curry's. fredette and singlar are the two guys i want right now and i'd take either top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    idk...you could claim curry might be ever so slightly quicker, but fredette has one of if not the quickest release in college. that zona game is one of the only videos of fredette on youtube. i'd suggest catching a byu game when they're on tv. fredette has these guys in the top 15-20 yet again and is such a joy to watch. it truly is astonishing how alike curry and fredette are. i like fredette's assassin's mentality moreso than curry's. fredette and singlar are the two guys i want right now and i'd take either top 10.
    Having seen the game where Jimmer dropped 49 and seeing Singler at his best this year I can't disagree. Athleticism isn't there (Fredette is much more athletic than given credit for though), but the killer mentality is and that is something that isn't taught. Singler has been great this year especially.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

I see why you compare them. I'll disagree on Fredette's release. It's not slow, but it didn't strike me as quick, either.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Lace Dunn is my guy to get, though the Pacers don't need a SG unfortunately.

Need to look at 20-28th guys that can play center, at least as of right now.

PF guys to follow are the Morris boys at Kansas.

I'd rather move Price into the backup PG than to draft another one, at least for now. Definitely need a big on the bench.

BTW, I don't bother with serious scouting till Jan 10-15th. I will try to look for the "hard to find" guys on small schools when possible, but for guys at the big programs I like to let them get into serious ball before following them.

I'll start working up video then too.
    If we trade Dunleavy as is likely, and PG is a better 3 than 2, then we're down to Brandon at 2 (assuming Dahntay is gone).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    well here's a video of his 49 (23fga) point game vs arizona last year. also had a 45 (23fga) point game against tcu last year. i've yet to see a game of his where the opponent contained him whereas i watched butler contain and completely shut down curry in person. nearly identical players and yet jimmer is a late 1st-2nd round projected pick?

Hell of a shooter, but Curry is much more athletic.
    Reminds me of Adam Morrison, ain't gonna get those shots against someone quicker than him.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Hell of a shooter, but Curry is much more athletic.
    Reminds me of Adam Morrison, ain't gonna get those shots against someone quicker than him.
    i think you are just flat out wrong in stating curry is much more athletic, especially since curry isn't exactly known for his athleticism. makes me question how many times you've seen fredette play or even curry for that matter. and fredette has gotten those shots against every level of competition in the ncaa. from ucla, to florida, to kansas state, to arizona, etc. and how is fredette's game remotely close to morrison's other than the fact that they are both white?

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention:

Consider me sold on Jordan Hamilton out of Texas. Sophomore averaging roughly 20, 7, 2, and one steal.

He hits a degree of tough shots and he has NBA range. Has a nice array of moves around the basket, solid rebounder, and even though he has some very minor problems with quickness, he comes off as a good NBA player right off the bat.

Body control, touch, and athletic are some good adjectives to describe his game. He's also good at getting his shot off and he has a pretty shot. I can't wait to see him play again the fourth.

Any beefs with Hamilton anyone?
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hoops_guy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoops_guy View Post
    Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention:

Consider me sold on Jordan Hamilton out of Texas. Sophomore averaging roughly 20, 7, 2, and one steal.

He hits a degree of tough shots and he has NBA range. Has a nice array of moves around the basket, solid rebounder, and even though he has some very minor problems with quickness, he comes off as a good NBA player right off the bat.

Body control, touch, and athletic are some good adjectives to describe his game. He's also good at getting his shot off and he has a pretty shot. I can't wait to see him play again the fourth.

Any beefs with Hamilton anyone?
    He is nice but he is to much like paul and danny we need a big. But maybe we pick him and make a trade idk. I really like him.

A guy Im really high on in the 2nd or late 1st is Nolan Smith from Duke. We are losing Ford and need a 3rd PG and not only that Price is not guaranteed to leave his injury problems behind. I wasn't sure Smith had what it took to run the PG spot but from what Ive seen this season Im convinced he can. He has great size at 6'3 is quick and a strong defender, I think he is a nice contrast to Collison's lack of size at the position. As of now hes got avgs of 18pts 5rbs 6asts 1stl and shoots 53% FG......not to shabby. I know we need help inside but I dont think there is much help there that late in the draft.....we may even be able to trade down some to grab Nolan.....if we end up with say a pick in the high teens Smith can likely be had mid to late 20s so we could move back and get some other possible value. Thoughts ?
    Last edited by Wylder1324; 01-02-2011 at 09:07 PM.

I'd rather take Fredette (like this kid a lot) or Kalin Lucas (who I know isn't all that, but really is getting crapped on with draft status) and take a Hamilton or Singler. But Nolan would be okay I guess; not a terrible pick, but I'm not getting too excited about him.

Smith is a poor man's Avery Bradley on defense which is still nothing to scoff at, and he's better on offense which is nothing to get excited about. I don't like his offensive skills at the next level though. He lacks some fluidity, or robotic (kind of like Danny but Danny has a way to work through it), and he doesn't have NBA range. He'd be a liability with court spacing.

Speaking of someone who lacks fluidity, I'd like to mention Chris Singleton. He's got all the defense and that is great. But the guy puts the "R" in robotic. He's someone I'm not real high on because he lacks potential to ever be any good or special on offense.

One player that I hate with a burning passion for us to even think about getting is Marcus Morris. He has T-Rex arms and he's way undersized. He doesn't have that workhorse or banger type of game to make up for it either. He would be a decent second round guy but he's a mess for a lottery pick.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Do I dare bite into the tempting "Singler becomes Detlef" apple one more time? He's going to be a high prospect but I've been waiting to see him prove himself for 3 years now.

Singleton - agree hoops_guy

Morris brothers are a tough read, but at times I can see some PJ Brown in there.

Ugh, guess I need to clear the Tivo and hard drives and give up on all the unclipped footage of last NCAA and summer league. Took on more projects than I could handle. I'm almost starting to resent all the scouting work because it's so much...work.

Unfortunately it looks like it will be relevant yet again this year with the team picking in the 10-15 range.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

I really want Jared Sullinger the kid has unreal post moves. Undersized but it doesnt matter with the skill set he has. I hope we can trade up and get him.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-05-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Mood

I just watched Perry Jones play this kid is insane also. At worse he will be Rashard Lewis he is so long and skilled at shooting and dribbling. He gets compared to T-mac a lot so i had to see if he is worthy. He looked amazing he will be the first pick in the draft calling it now. Unless a team who need a pg pick first then it will be Irving.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-05-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I just watched Perry Jones play this kid is insane also. At worse he will be Rashard Lewis he is so long and skilled at shooting and dribbling. He gets compared to T-mac a lot so i had to see if he is worthy. He looked amazing he will be the first pick in the draft calling it now. Unless a team who need a pg pick first then it will be Irving.
    too bad it won't be us picking first or second.

Now really free Lance!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Count me in for Singleton. The annoucer said that he talked to a GM of a playoff team. That GM said Singleton would start on their team.

I don't know about that, but I am willing to say that Singleton will go top 10.

Hey Naptown Seth, when you start to look at prospects, let me know what you think of

Keith Benson (potentional 2nd rounder)

Dudes putting up some pretty good numbers. He may be able to slide to PF with his frame, cause he seems a bit thin for C.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/keith-benson
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=32376

He plays against IUPUI on 1/6.

Now really free Lance!

So I'm watching Singler and Nolan destroy UAB here, and I have something to say about the Plumlees. They are good athletes but the lack in the IQ department and they are so awkward on the basketball court. They just come off as non-NBA players but that's just me.

Man, Singler is smooth as hell against this sad defense. Nolan is scoring off the ball for the most part and even though he's scoring more, Singler can just get his own whenever. Give me some Singler and I'll be a very happy man.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to hoops_guy For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Agreed hoops_guy about the Plumlees. Don't like Nolan at all though with a first round pick. He's too much like Dahntay Jones or TJ as in he goes one against the world and he won't crack our rotation in a long time with our three young point guards.

So I watched Jordan Hamilton on a pretty bad game for him last night. He's a very good shooter and he has all the tools. He had a bad shooting night but according to his stats that isn't the norm. Didn't see him fill up the stat shoot though like he usually does. I'll have to see him on one of his better games.

I'm watching this Duke game on TV and their bench is sucking it up.