Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Prospect Scouting Thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2011 Prospect Scouting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by johndozark View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blame the Hoop Doctors for putting Dunn at 18. I'm just reporting the composite results of about ten mock drafts.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

much better site and more reliable

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

What's anyone know about Xavier PG Tu Holloway? Putting up 20/5.5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    What's anyone know about Xavier PG Tu Holloway? Putting up 20/5.5/5.
    As a Xavier grad (though hardly a basketball scout), here are my quick thoughts:

He is a guy who has gotten better and better every year at Xavier. He's a junior now. He is short (6'0") but is tremendous at penetrating and getting to the line- particularly valuable considering he shoots 87%. Can hit outside shots but not a great shooter- around 35% from three. Early in the year he was struggling a bit with trying to do too much to make up for Crawford's exit to the NBA, but he has grown more and more comfortable in his role as the year has gone on. Now he is playing to his strengths by using his quickness to penetrate and create, and he is a good passer. Also, he never leaves the court- Xavier is really thin because of injuries and eligibility issues, and Tu has played around 95% of available minutes so far this year.

At his height (and lack of particularly explosive athleticism), he really isn't an early entry guy. He could be an intriguing second round pick in a year though, in my opinion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to asmithxc For This Useful Post:

what about kemba? we could mos def use his offense....

if both brendan knight and kemba were available id rather take one than a short ish PF...

After a season of watching ACC basketball:

I like Smith in the second round (or very late first). He gets it done in the lane and knows how to use the high glass. I think he's wrong for this team with the emergence of Lance as a 3rd legitimate talent at the 1 (since Smith must play the 1, or go the way or Luther Head.)

I would not touch Singler with a 20 foot pole. I would snap up Mason Plumlee in a heartbeat at any time after pick 25 or so, he's got serious ability even if it doesn't show.

Jordan Williams looks like Sean May: he has the good, no idea if he has the bad.

I like Chris Singleton late first round as a top notch defensive wing....which this team doesn't need.

Henson is an enigma. He has legit defensive ability at the 4: he is one of those rare guys that can send a jump hook in to the stands. He is super long and he skys faster than just about any big I've seen. On the other hand, he hints at the type of face up ability that would make him a monster at the 3. His shooting form is very good, but he misses too much. He gets to the rim very well from absurd distances due to his frame and length. His handles are good for a 4, but bad for a 3. Worse than Josh, but better than most 4s for sure.

Practically everything you can say about Henson, you can say about CJ Leslie, although CJ is worse at the 4 and better at the 3. He is a serious gem or bust type player. If I thought he screwed his head on straight, I would grab him at any point after 25....but not for this team. Plays the 3 in the league, bad jumper, no toughness.

Barnes is a stone cold killer with size and a beautiful jumper. His first step is terrible right now, but he plays at a high mental level. I think he has the physical tools to become very special, but he needs to worry less about smoothness and more about quickness. His handles are bad for a 3, but I expect them to improve.

Kyrie Irving is the real deal. He only played 8 games, but I would take him with the 1st overall. He has the total package.

Delaney is not an NBA player, most likely. There are too many 2s in the NCAA that can do what he has, and he takes too many shots and vanishes too often for him to be a legitimate answer for any team in the league.

I mostly watch Carolina, Duke, VT, Maryland. I see a few potential gems in the 2nd round for the Pacers, but not solid 1st rounders at the spot where Indy will be drafting. This is, of course, based on my personal opinions that the Pacers need a rangy, athletic 2 that attacks the rim and a defensive, athletic 4.

IMO, the best pick for the Pacers from the ACC is Mason Plumlee, hopefully in the 2nd round. He is a fantastic athlete and tons of potential at the 4. He sucks right now, but he if were exposed to Tyler's intestinal fortitude he would be amazing.
    Last edited by judicata; 03-05-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kendall Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Kendall Marshall.
    He's not leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    He's not leaving.
    Probably not, but he is one of the 5 best passers I have ever seen already. He needs to work on his defense and finishing around the rim, but he will be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Probably not, but he is one of the 5 best passers I have ever seen already. He needs to work on his defense and finishing around the rim, but he will be special.
    I agree. He is the heart and mind of the Heels this (second half of) the year. He's just not a realistic option for the Pacers. the Heat, on the other hand......

Anyone think we would have enough assets to pull a deal to land Jared Sullinger? I am reading up on the guy and he seems to be the idea PF to put next to Roy....

Probably not but damn if we do miss the play-offs I pray the ping pong balls finally fall our way...

6-9 with a 6-11 1/2 wingspan and a 286lbs frame....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Anyone think we would have enough assets to pull a deal to land Jared Sullinger? I am reading up on the guy and he seems to be the idea PF to put next to Roy....

Probably not but damn if we do miss the play-offs I pray the ping pong balls finally fall our way...

Sweet Jesus, what a hoss that kid is. I'd love to add him to our collection of young'ins.

I don't know if we could move up and get him, but I think that, between our cap-space, picks and players, it's at least plausible.

Mood

He is real good.. I just question his D against bigger 4's in the league not saying that he wont be able to guard them but wondering how well he will be able to.

I do think that we have a realistic shot at some of the European 4's if they decide to come over... I Like John Henson though... I think he will turn out to be stud... If he can develop some offensive skills and some strength watchout...

Not really a big fan of the Morris twins either

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Any thoughts on Marquette's Jimmy Butler or Virginia Tech's Jeff Allen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    Sweet Jesus, what a hoss that kid is. I'd love to add him to our collection of young'ins.

I don't know if we could move up and get him, but I think that, between our cap-space, picks and players, it's at least plausible.
    It would take Paul George to get him I'd imagine. No thanks.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Henson is the next Brandon Wright. He is slightly better but the majority of his attractiveness is what people think he could be with a more solid frame and new attributes.

But the reality is he most likely will not add to his frame or game.

I see they have Jeremy Tyler going in the beginning of the second round. Thats the kid that went to Europe instead of finishing High School....I believe

Does anyone have a scouting report on this kid. he could be a low risk high reward kind of pick if we land a late first early second round pick...

I haven't really heard much about the kid in a while...

Mood

I see they have Jeremy Tyler going in the beginning of the second round. Thats the kid that went to Europe instead of finishing High School....I believe

Does anyone have a scouting report on this kid. he could be a low risk high reward kind of pick if we land a late first early second round pick...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeremy-Tyler-1327/

Mood

I would love to grab Markieff Morris and Rick Jackson.

I know that both of these guys are not great offensive threats, but both have NBA bodies. Both are very good rebounders. Both block a lot of shots. Neither is explosive, but man would they add the beef we lack up front.

Jackson has a back to the basket game. Not refined really, but that could come with some work. Morris gets overlooked by his brother. He is the bigger player and better rebounder, so I would prefer him due to the lower draft position. Both are late first to early second round type of players. I would look to trade down in this draft to take one or both. We desperately need toughness.

I posted this on page 10
    He's playing in Japan. Having a hard time finding stats though.

http://www.tokyoapache.com/en/team-2010/roster/

Found some stats http://www.asia-basket.com/team.asp?...am=7206&Page=3

Not too shabby. 15 minutes - 8.7pts, 6rbs, 0.8 blocks. But 2.6 TO. Looks like he might be a starter now, so some of those numbers are on the rise.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

game last night got me thinking...is there a replacement for Jeff Foster in this draft? Center size, athletic, boards, defense, hustles all the time, w/o a huge offensive game? I dont watch that much college so I don't know... suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    game last night got me thinking...is there a replacement for Jeff Foster in this draft? Center size, athletic, boards, defense, hustles all the time, w/o a huge offensive game? I dont watch that much college so I don't know... suggestions?
    Someone said it earlier in this thread, so I can't take credit for it, but Kenneth Faried seems like as good a bet as anyone. Right now it's looking like he might be available in our range too.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Someone said it earlier in this thread, so I can't take credit for it, but Kenneth Faried seems like as good a bet as anyone. Right now it's looking like he might be available in our range too.
    I like Fareid quite a bit, but in no way will he be capable of playing center. He is the type of rebounder I think Roy needs. That is why I said something to the effect of getting Markieff Morris or Rick Jackson here. They are top notch rebounding prospects in the upcoming draft. Both just behind Faried, but both are taller and play bigger in general.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I like Fareid quite a bit, but in no way will he be capable of playing center. He is the type of rebounder I think Roy needs. That is why I said something to the effect of getting Markieff Morris or Rick Jackson here. They are top notch rebounding prospects in the upcoming draft. Both just behind Faried, but both are taller and play bigger in general.
    I have absolutely no idea who Rick Jackson is, but one of the Morris twins on KU is a good bet too.

Mood

Wont he be a 2nd rder??? and he is only 6"8 tuff for a center to be that small he plays PF at morehead st.

Mood

I have absolutely no idea who Rick Jackson is, but one of the Morris twins on KU is a good bet too.
    He plays center for Syracuse. He was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year. He averages 10+ boards and 2+ blocks per game. He is 6'9" and got an NBA body. He will be able to bang in the NBA immediately. He will be able to play some center. I am definitely intrigued by him. I think he is being listed in the second round in most mocks, if at all. The kid is good and the things he does well will translate to the NBA. To have him playing PF next to Hibbert is a very nice fit IMO.