Thread: ESPN: Rick Reilley: Sunday Bloody Sunday

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ESPN: Rick Reilley: Sunday Bloody Sunday

I have been waiting for an article like this to be written

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5867055

You have everything you need to take your kid to an NFL game this Sunday? Program?

Binoculars? Nunchucks?

Actually, if I were you, I wouldn't take my kid. I'd take Manny Pacquiao. NFL stadiums are rougher than sandpaper thongs lately.

These days, NFL fans make NHL fans look like Miss Manners. They're often buy-a-vowel drunk, spewing cuss words and looking to fight. And the men are sometimes worse.

This year alone:

A plastered Browns fan tackled an 8-year-old kid in a New York Jets jersey, cutting the boy's ankle.

A man was stabbed and another bruised before a game at Candlestick in San Francisco. Police were looking for a fan in a 49ers jersey.

A man at Soldier Field in Chicago fell to his death from 20 feet up on Sunday.

Having fun, kids?

I wouldn't take anybody not built like a side-by-side freezer to an NFL game now. With insane popularity comes inane people, and we're not just talking about Pittsburgh's James Harrison. All the NFL is missing is crowds chanting, "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!"

Don't go. Just sit your kid in front of your HD screen with a bowl of Cheetos and the remote. Guaranteed, your HD screen won't do the following (warning, these links get gross and the language is NOT for kids):

(A) Follow her around blowing a vuvuzela in her ear.
    (B) Throw punches at her so she misses a touchdown.
    (C) Make just walking away a terrifying experience.
    Still, if you INSIST on taking any child who isn't at least a brown belt, here are some survival tips:
    The only thing I did not agree with is him saying closing parking lots of cutting beer sales off would fix this problem. I would have no problem with them stopping the sale of beeer at halftime, however I do not think there is much you can do about the pre game problems. If people want to drink, they will just drink before the game, or do like college kids and get all there drinking in in 30 minutes before kickoff.

I do agree this is a problem, and one that the NFL is "working on" but still has a lot of work left to do.

Default Re: ESPN: Rick Reilley: Sunday Bloody Sunday

How much of this is really a growing problem and how much is just a growing sensitivity to the issue?

Hasn't football always been an adult spectator sport more than a family outing?

Of course spectators should be safe at the game but how dangerous is it really? And if you don't want your kids seeing and hearing certain adult things then maybe an NFL football stadium isn't exactly where they should be.

Do you take your kids to Mardis Gras?

Perhaps a large portion of the appeal IS the adult angle here. Water it down and try and turn it into a family friendly environment and you might end up with a less desirable product overall.

So yeah, continue to do what's necessary to keep the events safe for spectators... particularly if there's a growing problem there and not just over-exposure of a few exceptions. But is it possible to have a few adult pasttimes in this world without making everything kid-friendly and thinking of the children?

That's my curmudgeon view of the day...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much of this is really a growing problem and how much is just a growing sensitivity to the issue?

Of course spectators should be safe at the game but how dangerous is it really? And if you don't want your kids seeing and hearing certain adult things then maybe an NFL football stadium isn't exactly where they should be.

Perhaps a large portion of the appeal IS the adult angle here. Water it down and try and turn it into a family friendly environment and you might end up with a less desirable product overall.

So yeah, continue to do what's necessary to keep the events safe for spectators... particularly if there's a growing problem there and not just over-exposure of a few exceptions. But is it possible to have a few adult pasttimes in this world without making everything kid-friendly and thinking of the children?

You have been to basketball games, no? Those are adult events and yet you can bring the whole family.....

Here is what I said on a Redskins board:

Last year a guy had his 7 year old daughter when we played Dallas (I was in the dream seats, bad overall experience but that is another thread) but he spent the whole game calling our former kicker a "*****, *****, ****, *******, and punk *** mother ****" By the third quarter security and a usher told him to STFU, and he replied with "My daughter hears this at home so it is no big deal"

How to fix it? I really do not know. I will say one thing. Dan Snyder threw one hell of a party for the Dallas game this year. He opened up the parking lots at noon for a 8:15PM game. It would really suck to see drunk jackasses mess that up for those of us who just want to go to a game and drink responsibly and not be total jackasses.

You know, I was loud as hell for the cowboys game, boo'd Allas as much as I could, and still had a civil conversation with the Dallas fans next to me and we had good natured ribbing going on. Now the guy who crapped his pants next to me helped break the ice and he was a easy puching bag, but I really do not think alcohol is the main problem nor will it be the "only" solution. The reality is people can get trashed in 30 minutes if they want to.

If you are around me at a Cowboys game, I am nuts. I have three rules for the Dallas game: Do not sit down, Do not make noise when we are on offense, and boo the **** out of Dallas. Funny, I am able to do all that and still remain civil.

I wish I knew the answer, but the fan in me says go to a zero tolerance policy. You get so **** faced you can not stnad up and want to fight. Fine, you are not allowed to return to the stadium for 1 year. Second offense, 5 years. I do not know how to implenent a system like that....not sure it would even work.

There has to be a better way to do things, and frankly while I do think this issue is a bit overblown (I have been to plenty of games that I enjoyed and there were no fights aound me) it is one that concerns me, especially if I ever have kids that want to attend a game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Football reaps what it sews when it comes to the fan experience.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

An interesting quote from a blog about the same topic

I say booze is not a requirement at an NFL game to have fun. Kids and minors aren't allowed into pubs or bars so why are we allowing adults to get loser pissed and ruin the fun in an all ages inviornment and treat the place like its a bar. I like to drink and I have always drank at games but realisticly I would not be upset if they banned booze. I get enough adreneline from the game and dont think I would feel like I was missing out. Even if I was dead sober I would have a hard time not KO'ing some drunkin loser falling all over people and spilling his beer everywhere.