Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors [The Front Page]

Post Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors [The Front Page]

Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors
    Written by Peck

Link

For those of you that did not stay up late or better yet have access to NBA league pass and watch the Pacers play the Kings I’ll just end the suspense now for you if you didn’t already know.

The Indiana Pacers won.

There are lots of people doing reviews of the game so I am not going to rehash that. There is also going to be lots of talk about Danny Grangers fantastic game and if you didn’t see it he was just absolutely fabulous. There will also be lots of talk about the teams new found religious conversion to the doctrine of defense and by all means that does need to be talked about & then probably talked about some more after that.

But what I want to do is focus on a couple of reasons why all of a sudden we are a force & my God it is hard for me to type that without literally wanting to stand up and thrust my fist in the air & let out a primal Viking like scream. But I am going to say we are a force right now and the reasons are many fold.

But one thing and one person who may be being overlooked here is someone who was often maligned early in the season.

Solomon Jones was benched for two games versus the Clippers and the Magic but since his return to the regular rotation he has provided the Pacers with solid relief for Roy for when he is on the floor.

Since returning to the lineup Solomon has averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds per outing and while this next statistic can be debated in value and how it should be used it is certainly worth noting that Solomon has had the following +/- in each game.

Versus Miami his +/- was + 21

Versus Cleveland his +/- was + 1

Versus Oklahoma City his +/- was + 11

Versus Los Angeles his +/- was – 3

Versus Sacramento his +/- was + 4

Again you can argue the value of that particular statistic but if you watch the games you can see that when Roy has gone to the bench we have not had the dramatic drop off in talent level that we had been experiencing earlier in the season.

Solomon has joined in with every other member of the Pacers and taken real pride in defending the paint and has been far more physical both on defense and in going after rebounds than we have seen previously in his time with the club.

Obviously not the most glamorous of players and I’m not trying to over state his value to the current winning ways but I do believe his contributions to the club are very real and at this time very beneficial. I still shudder when I think about Roy rolling an ankle or getting in foul trouble early in a game but for the minutes he has played recently Solomon has given the Pacers good relief for Roy’s down time.

Moving on.

Something that I did not foresee coming this year & if you said you did you are either a liar or well no there is nothing else you are a liar, is that the Indiana Pacers have become Road Warriors. We are 6-2 away from the fieldhouse with our losses coming on the second half of a home and home series with Philadelphia and the other loss coming to the 15-2 San Antonio Spurs.

You don’t go into other people’s houses and routinely walk away with victories unless you are playing solid defense night in and night out. Sure you can have a punchers chance of hitting a lot of long distance shots but that is not going to happen more often than it fails. The only way to have a winning record on the road is to be a defensive machine. Which as of right now you have to say that the team is a defensive machine.

A machine that works so much better when Josh McRoberts plays on the floor for an extended period of time. Statistically Josh is not having a great season, but we are not the same team when he goes to the bench. He provides a level of toughness, rebounding and frankly panache that nobody else on the team does right now.

If you saw the game or if you saw highlights of the game you will see a one handed throw down that he did on the fly with T.J. Ford. That was breathtakingly spectacular but it wasn’t his best play of the night. In one of the first possessions of the game he grabbed a rebound with one hand and in one fluid motion turned and whipped it length of the court to a breaking Danny Granger for an easy layup. Visions of Payton Manning to Marvin Harrison should come to mind when thinking of this if you didn’t see it. However it could be argued that equally as impressive was his block of a Jason Thompson dunk towards the end of the game. He just absolutely smothered him on that block. Also it should be noted that Josh had 7 points but only 2 of those came from the field, he was 5 of 6 from the free throw line.

Other quick notes from the game.

In yet further proof that this is not your Fathers Pacers (or last season for that matter) the team is now routinely coming out and getting on teams in the 3rd quarter where last year that seemed to be our waterloo. The Kings and Pacers went into the half tied at 52 but the Pacers came out swinging and outscored the Kings 28-17 in the third. This is becoming somewhat of a common event this season. While teams are always making a run to get caught up often times our lead is just enough for us to overcome their run. Tonight was no different as the Kings outscored the Pacers 29-27 in the 4th but by then it was too little to late. This is in stark contrast to last season when our team would routinely be crushed in the 3rd with no hope of overcoming the massive deficit by the end of the game.

While it has been nice to do several Odd Thoughts without having to deal with many negatives I do have one tonight that I have to kind of point out. Really it’s almost more of a question than an observation.

Why has Tyler Hansbrough regressed so badly this season? He looks totally lost and out of place whenever he is on the floor. I mean he is battling on the inside and attempting to rebound but on offense he doesn’t appear to have a clue and often times on defense he is missing assignments as well. I understand that he is essentially a rookie this year but he seems worse now than when he was a real rookie last year.

Also while this isn’t so much a negative or a question but more of an observation but dang talk about cold. Jim O’Brien has left Paul George in street clothes for his only trip home for the year. I understand that Brandon certainly has earned the right to pass him by in minutes played on the floor but dang talk about timing. Now the question is has Paul regressed to the point of now not only being out of the rotation to the point of being non playable? Odd that Foster is dressed but they seem to have zero desire to use him in the games. Honestly at this point I wonder if maybe suiting up A.J. or Paul would be a better choice. But with the recent play and record it is really hard to criticize him for personnel decisions.

Which brings me to the last point of this thread and this should be a doozey. Today’s question comes courtesy of Diamond Dave.

What will you think if Jim O’Brien wins Coach of the Year?

Yes I know I nearly had an airway obstruction after having a seizure just thinking about this but after further review as odd as this sounds coming from me, at the current winning pace and if the team makes the playoffs this is not out of the realm of possibilities. Nor, dare I say it, is it something that would not be earned.

Oh what a rush!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoboHicks For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors [The Front Page]

Quote Originally Posted by RoboHicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors
    Written by Peck

We are 5-2 away from the fieldhouse with our losses coming on the second half of a home and home series with Philadelphia and the other loss coming to the 15-2 San Antonio Spurs.
    fixed

If O'Brien is coach of the year (it will probably take 50 wins for that to happen) I will just laugh, and laugh and laugh and laugh as I read what seems to be the currently common refain of well yeah they are winning because Jim O'Brien is finally doing all the things we fans have wanted him to do for 3 years. Not sure that argument will carry the whole season though - but we'll see.

More likely it will be yes the team won 51 games, but Jim O'Brien lost the team 10 games so really Jim's plus/minus is -10 so he isn't that good anyway

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I was thinking about Solo's recent good play and watching him closely last night. One thing I noticed is that the offense changes quite a bit with him on the floor now. At the beginning of the season when Solo came in we pretty much ran the offense just like he was Roy. He'd get the ball at the elbow, get asked to make a lot of passes and set a lot of screens. He clearly wasn't comfortable with the ball in his hands that much. Last night - and I'm going to assume this was at least partially true for the last few games even though I wasn't watching as closely - we weren't really asking Solo to handle the ball at all. He was really only given the ball when there was a quick and obvious decision that was already made for him (shoot, dribble hand-off, etc.). He looked much more comfortable and had a nice game offensively. I think this is something O'Brien should probably be given a bit of credit for.

One other thing about this game is that the Pacers were very assertive in pushing the pace. It looked like something O'Brien emphasized before the game.

As for the Kings, Tyreke Evans is a beast. He's added a lot of muscle since college. He killed us in the first quarter when we tried to guard him with Collison. Rush and Granger did a decent job, but he's a tough cover for anyone. However, he completely disappeared in the 3rd quarter when the Kings really needed him to step up. When you're the guy who's clearly the focal point of your offense and can score pretty much at will you can't let Luther Head make the only two shots for your team during a 6 minute stretch when you're on the floor. That would worry me a bit if I was a Kings fan.

Cousins is good. If he and Evans mature and buy in to playing defense and playing consistently hard, the Kings will be really good in a couple of seasons.

Also, Collison very much looked like the starter this game and TJ very much looked like the back-up. I like games like that.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If O'Brien is coach of the year (it will probably take 50 wins for that to happen) I will just laugh, and laugh and laugh and laugh as I read what seems to be the currently common refain of well yeah they are winning because Jim O'Brien is finally doing all the things we fans have wanted him to do for 3 years. Not sure that argument will carry the whole season though - but we'll see.

More likely it will be yes the team won 51 games, but Jim O'Brien lost the team 10 games so really Jim's plus/minus is -10 so he isn't that good anyway
    Well, Jim was trying really hard to lose that game last night, luckily for us Danny was on attack mode and Collison did a good job at closing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Well, Jim was trying really hard to lose that game last night, luckily for us Danny was on attack mode and Collison did a good job at closing the game.
    Really? so now Jim is trying to lose games?

OK, I know that is not what you mean. But that is what you posted.

If you heard Granger on the post game radio interview, you heard him give O'Brien some credit for the teams really good third quarter.

Banned

Really? so now Jim is trying to lose games?

OK, I know that is not what you mean. But that is what you posted.

If you heard Granger on the post game radio interview, you heard him give O'Brien some credit for the teams really good third quarter.
    The Pacers had an 18 points lead at one time and of course Jim brought his all star team of TJ,Posey,Solo,Dun and that lead when all the way to 9 or 8 I can't remember, that in my book is trying to lose, not only that but again he was letting DC and TJ guard a bigger guy in TE and as expected he was killing them and for some reason he was letting Cousins to get on fire and never call a play downlow to see if Demarcus " the foul magnet" could get a foul and be send to the bench.

Regarding Danny's comments about Jim, what else do you expect him to say? He didn't trash him in three horrible years, he is not going to do it now.

Re Jeff Foster:

He was the first player off the bench against the Lakers. He got up, did some walking around and stretching, then went back to the bench.

You couldn't see it on TV, but it looked like our intent was to play Jeff on Sunday but he couldn't go.

The Pacers had an 18 points lead at one time and of course Jim brought his all star team of TJ,Posey,Solo,Dun and that lead when all the way to 9 or 8 I can't remember, that in my book is trying to lose, not only that but again he was letting DC and TJ guard a bigger guy in TE and as expected he was killing them and for some reason he was letting Cousins to get on fire and never call a play downlow to see if Demarcus " the foul magnet" could get a foul and be send to the bench.

Regarding Danny's comments about Jim, what else do you expect him to say? He didn't trash him in three horrible years, he is not going to do it now.
    OK.

But Mark Boyle asked Danny why the good third quarter and Danny said coach really got into us at halftime. (he was not asked about the coach, Danny offered that up). danny could have easily said we just started playing really good defense, got out and ran.......he didn't have to mention the coach
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-01-2010 at 10:12 AM.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

If JOB wins coach of the year, LB/Morway should win the GM of the year for getting Troy Murphy out of JOB's hands.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Banned

OK.

But Mark Boyle asked Danny why the good third quarter and Danny said coach really got into us at halftime. (he was not asked about the coach, Danny offered that up). danny could have easily said we just started playing really good defense, got out and ran.......he didn't have to mention the coach
    Ok this got me thinking now, are they trying to do some type of damage control in case they give Jim an extention? You are right Danny has never say anything like that before and what a better person to show that supports the coach than Danny?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, Jim was trying really hard to lose that game last night
    What did he do? Please enlighten me. Which decisions did he make that were poor?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    What did he do? Please enlighten me. Which decisions did he make that were poor?
    For the first time in his tenure i thoght he coached pretty well last night. Never thoght i'd be saying im glad he left solo in at the end lol. But he let DC close the game and DC really helped us win that down the stretch. Hope he lets Dc coutuine closing.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-01-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    For the first time in his tenure i thoght he coached pretty well last night. Never thoght i'd be saying im glad he left solo in at the end lol. But he let DC close the game and DC really helped us win that down the stretch.
    The reason DC was at the end of the game was not because Jim had some kind of change of heart, TJ was just too horrible to stay on the game.I'll give some points to Jim for noticing this(when the lead got close to 9 points)

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    For the first time in his tenure i thoght he coached pretty well last night.
    For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my franchise , and not just because JOB has done well, but because I think people are hungry for wins.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my franchise , and not just because JOB has done well, but because I think people are hungry for wins.
    Interesting perception. When are fans, on average, most "hungry" for wins? When the team is:

a) on a long losing streak?
    b) doing lousy?
    c) performing below expectations?
    d) doing middle-of-the-pack okay?
    e) performing above expectations?
    f) doing very well (i.e., battling for first place)?
    g) on a long win streak?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Interesting perception. When are fans, on average, most "hungry" for wins? When the team is:

a) on a long losing streak?
    b) doing lousy?
    c) performing below expectations?
    d) doing middle-of-the-pack okay?
    e) performing above expectations?
    f) doing very well (i.e., battling for first place)?
    g) on a long win streak?
    I'm always hungry for wins. I could have wins 3 times a day. I feel like I just got a reprieve from my doctor to give up my win-free diet.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like being hungry for wins a lot more than being thirsty for tears as we have been in the past few years.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

OK.

I didn't listen to the interview, but having listened to the radio broadcast of the game, I am surprised DG was not asked about JOB putting Collison on Evans to start the game.

If you "listened between the lines" in the first quarter, you could tell Mark and Slick were surprised (maybe not the best word) by the line-up and defensive assignments.

With Slick in particular, you could tell he wanted to say "Get Dun out of there, put in Rush and have him guard Evans, then put DC on Head.".

IT could be that we are on a back to back and Jim wants to have some fresh legs out there tonight. Personally I would much rather play it safe and not lose to the KIngs but hey what do I know.

Game like the Kings game is a chance to broaden guys horizons, DC on Tyreke Evans. Also, a chance to let Roy play against Cousins too long in the 4th, when he was getting killed. Call it a learning opportunity.

TJ not closing has happened before, earlier this season. TJ doesn't have it some nights. Plus, again the learning factor.

Danny playing so many minutes was probably just the fact he was unguardable with the personnel the Kings have. So he could almost guarantee a win, if the team played even decent defense to close out.

Not saying Obie was doing all of this intentionally, but I had no problem with his rotations under the circumstances.

Looking at the minutes overall, it really wasn't much different than what has been happening anyway.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, in other universes having an 18-point lead is a great time to rest your starters, but whatever.

Also, without seeing the game I can't be sure, but if what you are doing is working you shouldn't change it in order to simply draw fouls on a certain player. That leads to missed offensive opportunities especially if the fouls end up not getting called. Never try to outsmart the refs.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

We need to lock up Josh with a long contract. How much do you think he will get paid? I hope he doesn't turn into another Brad Miller where some team offers him outrageous money and we lose him.

To beat Grace to the punch, if Jimmy wins COY that just means he'll be fired within two years.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    To beat Grace to the punch, if Jimmy wins COY that just means he'll be fired within two years.
    So your saying it's a win/win type of situation.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13