Thread: When a player fails a drug test, we know the team isn't notified, but does the player get notified?

Mood

Default When a player fails a drug test, we know the team isn't notified, but does the player get notified?

I was talking with my brother in law about Brandon Rush, and after discussing his game the subject of his suspension came up, and along with it the fact that the Pacers weren't notified until after Brandon failed his 3rd test.

So the question we had, and I wasn't absolutely sure of the answer, was whether or not the league even tells the player in question that they've failed a test. Does anyone know the answer?

On the one hand, you'd think it's something they would absolutely tell the player about.

But on the other hand, if they tell the player, isn't it likely that word would get back to the team, by way of a friend of the player, and/or a teammate?

streets ahead

Default Re: When a player fails a drug test, we know the team isn't notified, but does the player get notified?

(3) Marijuana:

If a player tests positive for marijuana during Random Testing or Reasonable Cause Testing, or he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, nolo contendre or no contest to, the use or possession of marijuana in violation of the law, he will be required to enter the Marijuana Program. A second positive test for marijuana will result in a $25,000 fine and the player’s re-entry into the Marijuana Program. A third positive test for marijuana will result in a five-game suspension and the player’s re-entry into the Marijuana Program. A fourth (or any subsequent) positive test for marijuana will result in a suspension that is five (5) games longer than the player’s immediately-preceding suspension.

http://bizofbasketball.com/index.php...694&Itemid=106
    Obviously to complete the program and pay the fine, the player would need to be informed. It's probably the NBPA that handles the notification.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: When a player fails a drug test, we know the team isn't notified, but does the player get notified?

Wouldn't you think that teams would unofficially find out?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't you think that teams would unofficially find out?
    Sure, I suppose it could happen. The Pacers very well could have known about the first two times Brandon failed. Given medical confidentiality laws, however, the Pacers could never admit to knowing unless Brandon specifically informed them. That's why I'd put my chips on the NBPA handling it. It'd be much easier for them to work one on one with Brandon away from the organization and the team than it would for a league official. Just a guess though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post: