Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego at Indianapolis - Sunday Night Football - 11/28/10

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default San Diego at Indianapolis - Sunday Night Football - 11/28/10

(5-5) Last week the Chargers earned their "Super Chargers" nickname back with a beat down of the Broncos. Can they continue this surge against a depleted, yet surely angry, Indianapolis team?

(6-4) After fighting their way back into the game last week, Colts QB Peyton Manning threw a key interception to end the comeback, and now he looks for redemption against a team that has caused himself and the Colts problems over the years.

Time: 8:20 PM ET

Television:
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Default Re: San Diego at Indianapolis - Sunday Night Football - 11/28/10

Pitiful

Dreadful
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think this is the season that Polian's arrogance has really caught up to him.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Well, it certainly seems like the O-line talent scouting and acquisition has been a colossal failure. Leaky pass protection and virtually no running game have been consistent problems.

I'll buy the number of key injuries up to a point. But, this time of year most teams can say much the same. Last night was just an awful performance in a hugely important home game. What are we up to? 9 TOs in the last two games. That pretty much sums it up.

Looked like the reprisal of the old out physical the finesse Colts to me. That said, I thought our tactical and emotional preparation seemed weak at best for this meaningful of a game. Gotta wonder how this reflects on Caldwell and his regime barring a major turnaround.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 11-29-2010 at 07:14 AM.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Agreed. After throwing the O-Line under the bus after the Super Bowl, he did nothing to address it aside from cutting Lilja. Lilja will probably be a pro-bowler this year.

To be fair, he has used draft picks on the line......it's just that all of the guys he's drafted are garbage for the most part.

There has to be a point where you quit bowing down to the "genius" of Polian and start holding him accountable for his poor personnel moves as of late. Our recent drafts have been AWFUL. I don't really see how anyone could spin it otherwise. When you draft as poorly as he has in recent years it's going to catch up with you sooner or later. Our first round pick this year can't even get on the field.

We've relied on Manning magic to bail us out for far too long, but not even Manning can compensate for some of the short-comings on this team. But I'm sure we'll find a way to win this pitiful division and these problems will be thrown on the back-burner for yet another year.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-29-2010 at 07:43 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Blargh. If Polian can't fix the line situation he should be gone.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

I really hate being in San Diego right now.

At least the Pacers beat the Lakers (I probably know more Laker fans here than Charger fans...so at least I can shut them up with that).

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post

At least the Pacers beat the Lakers (I probably know more Laker fans here than Charger fans...so at least I can shut them up with that).
    Eh, seems beating the Colts is the Super Bowl for several wannabe teams.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This team is done...o-line is horrible,no running game, too many injuries, peyton throwing picks left and right.....but they are still tied for first in the division because j-ville, tenn, and houston all suck as well.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

I've been a huge fan of Bill Polian, but his last few drafts have been terrible. Powers is the only worthwhile player he's drafted recently and the first and second rounders he's picked shouldn't even touch an NFL field.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Agreed. After throwing the O-Line under the bus after the Super Bowl, he did nothing to address it aside from cutting Lilja. Lilja will probably be a pro-bowler this year.

To be fair, he has used draft picks on the line......it's just that all of the guys he's drafted are garbage for the most part.

There has to be a point where you quit bowing down to the "genius" of Polian and start holding him accountable for his poor personnel moves as of late. Our recent drafts have been AWFUL. I don't really see how anyone could spin it otherwise. When you draft as poorly as he has in recent years it's going to catch up with you sooner or later. Our first round pick this year can't even get on the field.

We've relied on Manning magic to bail us out for far too long, but not even Manning can compensate for some of the short-comings on this team. But I'm sure we'll find a way to win this pitiful division and these problems will be thrown on the back-burner for yet another year.
    Agreed.

For every good pick Polian has made there have been 2 bad ones...and bad ones in the first and second rounds.

Right or wrong it was one thing for him to throw the o-line under the bus after the Super Bowl last year. What really made that so dumb was the fact that he did basically nothing to upgrade the o-line. You throw them under the bus you better bring in a pro bowl level lineman and not a 4 round draft pick with size.

The defense needs more playmakers. They have been hit hard by injuries but even when healthy there aren't enough playermakers, or game changers, on defense.

Manning's career is starting to wind down. I hope the front office can turn things around before the end comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    This team is done...o-line is horrible,no running game, too many injuries, peyton throwing picks left and right.....but they are still tied for first in the division because j-ville, tenn, and houston all suck as well.
    Moreover, you are very likely to HOST the loser of the Monday night Jets-Patriots game in the first round of the playoffs, if you win the suddenly crummy-looking AFC South.

Yes the (perhaps) 13-3 Jets (or Patriots) could have to travel to face the (perhaps) 8-8 Colts (or Jags, or Titans, or Texans).

This next weekend's primetime games are the juiciest I ever remember:

Steelers-Ravens
    Patriots-Jets
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Moreover, you are very likely to HOST the loser of the Monday night Jets-Patriots game in the first round of the playoffs, if you win the suddenly crummy-looking AFC South.

Yes the (perhaps) 13-3 Jets (or Patriots) could have to travel to face the (perhaps) 8-8 Colts (or Jags, or Titans, or Texans).

Steelers-Ravens
    Patriots-Jets
    This happened to the Colts a few years ago. And IMO, really did lose them the game. Along with the Chargers punter having the best game I've ever seen a punter have.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I've been a huge fan of Bill Polian, but his last few drafts have been terrible. Powers is the only worthwhile player he's drafted recently and the first and second rounders he's picked shouldn't even touch an NFL field.
    Now we face what some faced with the Walsh/Bird years... Who is making player decisions now? Chris Polian or Bill Polian?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

But Bill is a genius and has never made a mistake. I mean trading Marshall Faulk for basically Mike Peterson and Brad Scioli was a great move.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Mood

It was a hard game to watch. We really need to spend the cash and get some top tier o-linemen. Saturday and a patchwork line isn't working. We have good running backs in Addai and Brown but when they get hit in the backfield constantly the effect is harsh. Peyton is trying his darnest to win and he is just making poor decisions because of that. He's getting hit a lot too which is making him a little happy footed. Maybe this year can be a transition year and we can get a descent draft pick. Injuries have just killed us as well. I know it is just an excuse there but when you have critical spots filled by guys signed off of the street it almost never ends up good. I really feel for Mathis and Freeney who are getting doubled most of the time. Our LB group is just unprepared. We need Brackett and Sessions badly. Angerer will be good down the road but he is no Brackett in this scheme. The other two guys should stick to special teams. We are really hurting but somehow we are still in the hunt. Hopefully we can stay with the rest of the south and wet some of our guys on D back and maybe get into the playoffs. There is a lot of games left so you never know. At least we're not the Titans.

I still think Manning's desire to not negotiate his contract until after the season is because he's going to demand some organizational changes. Whether that is Polian and son getting their walking papers, coaching changes, or some of them having some changes dictated to them.

It has crossed my mind that the decision to throw away the undefeated season could play a role in this.

At least publicly we were told that Manning signed off on the Dungy-Caldwell handoff so I doubt that is what's in play.

It would not break my heart if Manning did pull a power play to remove Polian because I couldn't really blame him. I think a lot of people could've done as well, and arguably better, if they had Peyton Manning at QB to start with.

------

-John Wooden

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    But Bill is a genius and has never made a mistake. I mean trading Marshall Faulk for basically Mike Peterson and Brad Scioli was a great move.

Or letting Lilja go (you think we couldn't have used him right now) the only reason that Faulk trade didn't turn out to be a complete epic fail was that we ended up getting Edge later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post

Yeah I doubt Lakers fans are going to care about one regular season game out of 82. The Colts season is a lot shorter obviously so the regular season games matter especially since if we get a tie with the Chargers they get the tiebreaker.

I'm happy for the Pacers but the Colts loss kept me from enjoying their first win ever at Staples

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Blargh. If Polian can't fix the line situation he should be gone.
    The only way that will happen is if Manning demands it. Irsay is too spineless to do it unless the fans bail(this is a fairweathered sports town lets be real).

That being said I knew we'd lose this game for some reason. We were lucky to beat the Bengals that's how bad we've been lately.

Dallas isn't that easy either... we can only hope Roy Williams fumbles.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Yeah I doubt Lakers fans are going to care about one regular season game out of 82. The Colts season is a lot shorter obviously so the regular season games matter especially since if we get a tie with the Chargers they get the tiebreaker.

I'm happy for the Pacers but the Colts loss kept me from enjoying their first win ever at Staples
    Yes, I understand all that...but there are a lot of people here who actually don't. The Lakers and USC seem to be directly connected to their egos (Notre Dame beating USC was a good thing as well, though I'm not the hugest ND fan).

So do I get a cookie for being one of the charter members of the "We win in spite of Bill Polian, not because of him" bandwagon?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

Steelers-Ravens
    Patriots-Jets
    Sure, and I think we can still win that game.

Ask the 12-4 Colts about having to go and play an 8-8 and very mediocre Chargers team on the road.

This is why the playoffs need to be fixed. Either go back to three divisions, and have three wild cards. Or make it so wild card weekend home team is determined by record.

I still think Manning's desire to not negotiate his contract until after the season is because he's going to demand some organizational changes. Whether that is Polian and son getting their walking papers, coaching changes, or some of them having some changes dictated to them.

It has crossed my mind that the decision to throw away the undefeated season could play a role in this.

At least publicly we were told that Manning signed off on the Dungy-Caldwell handoff so I doubt that is what's in play.

It would not break my heart if Manning did pull a power play to remove Polian because I couldn't really blame him. I think a lot of people could've done as well, and arguably better, if they had Peyton Manning at QB to start with.
    If he's going to pull a powerplay, I hope it's on Caldwell.

That man is woefully under qualified to be a head coach and always has been. He was gifted the job by Dungy and Co. His resume speaks for itself, and that is not a positive.