Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Pacers Have A Secret Weapon, His Name Is Brandon Rush

Banned

Default Indiana Pacers Have A Secret Weapon, His Name Is Brandon Rush

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...s-brandon-rush

I know is the bleacherreport but I thought it was a good article.

Indiana Pacers Have A Secret Weapon, His Name Is Brandon Rush

Some people never change. Then again, some do.

The Indiana Pacers are a completely different team than we have seen the past few years in Indianapolis. There is something different about this set of guys. These guys all hustle, they all get along, and they are actually fun and exciting to watch. The young talent that has been assembled here is similar to the pattern that was adopted by the Oklahoma City Thunder. Not to say that Danny Granger and Darren Collison are on equal footing to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, but they are going in the right direction.

Indiana has won three of their last four games, and the one loss was a last minute one at the hands of the Orlando Magic. One of those wins includes a trip down to Miami where Dwyane Wade struggled, and the Pacers bench soared. It seems Indiana has a secret weapon this season. It looks familiar to some, but it is far from the same weapon they have had at their disposal the last couple of years. His name is Brandon Rush.

The wrap on Brandon during his short NBA career, is that he is one of the most inconsistent players in the league. One game he will dazzle you and make you feel good inside, then he will go out the next couple of games and look about as hesitant as a child learning to ride their first bicycle. It appears (for now) that he has flipped the coin on that idea.

Most people are aware that Rush missed the first five regular season games this year because of multiple failed drug tests last season. This suspension put him in the dog house with the Coach, and the team. As the regular season was about to begin, Pacers coach Jim O'Brien felt that Rush was going to have to fight for playing time. He believed that Mike Dunleavy and Paul George had the first and second string SG positions locked up. He even stated that A.J. Price was probably ahead of Rush on the depth chart. It looked like a bitter and disappointing end to Rush's stint with the Pacers.

Call it a wake up call, call it a scare, whatever. It looks like we have a motivated and determined Brandon Rush playing basketball this season. This looks like the same guy I saw putting on a display at the University of Kansas. This is the guy that doesn't look timid, doesn't appear to be disinterested. This is the guy the Pacers organization and fans wanted to see when they made the trade for him a few years ago. He came out strong in his season debut for the Blue & Gold this year, but his last four games, he has really shined bright.

Last Thursday night at Conseco Fieldhouse against the L.A. Clippers, Rush had a very solid night. He finished with 14 points, five blocks, five rebounds, and shot four of five from downtown. Two nights later against the Orlando Magic, Rush again put up 14 points in a very hard fought game. In Monday's signature win in Miami against the heat, Brandon played fantastic, with 20 points, seven rebounds, and four assists. Finally, in last night's win over the Cleveland Cavaliers, Brandon put in 16 points and three rebounds in the win.

Over this four-game stretch, Brandon has been playing an average of 31 minutes per game, whether he is starting or coming off the bench. In those four games, he is shooting an incredible 61% from the floor (26 of 43) and 50% from the three-point line (seven of 14). Those numbers are incredible, especially for a guy that hasn't had any consistent play in the NBA. Probably the most important stat from those four games; Indiana's 3-1 record.

While the offensive numbers speak for themselves, perhaps it is the defense that is winning over head coach Jim O'Brien and the staff. He has been asked to do a lot of the defensive end of the floor the past week or so. He had to defend Eric Gordon on Thursday, Vince Carter on Saturday, and Dwyane Wade on Monday. He played a pivotal role in Wade having his worst shooting game of his NBA career. He was very frustrated, going just one of 13 from the floor, and finished with just three points.

The defensive assignments don't get much easier down the road for Brandon. He may be asked to help with Westbrook and Durant on Friday night, then Indiana travels to the Staples Center in L.A. to face Kobe and the Lakers. Brandon seems up to the challenge, and seems comfortable with his new style of play. He has been a key part to the early success of the Pacers, and he knows he must continue if they want to win.

Brandon may not be the star of this team, but putting him with guys like Granger, Hibbert, and Collison will only make this team even stronger. The recent play of this team has a bunch of people around the league talking. Many people are starting to believe that this is one of the most improved teams in the league this year. Some are looking at this Pacers squad as a playoff team, something the fans and organization would love to see here in Indianapolis. It's still way too early to put a label on this team, but we are sure of a couple of things. Indiana has a winning record, the team is playing very well, and the young nucleus seems to have been formed.

One thing is for certain; the turkey is going to taste even better tomorrow after these last four games.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Indiana Pacers Have A Secret Weapon, His Name Is Brandon Rush

Bleacherreport or not, the turkey is going to taste much better than it did last year. That is a fact.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bleacherreport or not, the turkey is going to taste much better than it did last year. That is a fact.
    Indeed my friend. I'm actually looking forward to all the Pacers questions I usually field from family, first time for that in awhile.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Yeah, tell me about it.

What I said earlier can also not only go for last year, but also the past four-five years before that as well.

That is what makes Pacers basketball so fun to watch again. Win or lose, we are seeing glimpses of the core that is going to make us contenders again in 2-4 years. That feels sweet.

Back to the subject at hand; what do we do with Paul George if Brandon Rush is starting to turn into the player that we all thought that he could be? If he puts up 16 ppg with good defense does that make George expendable?

Or does George have too much potential to be traded?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kinda funny seeing the love fest for Brandon Rush when I was one of his very few supporters over the last few years.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Kinda funny seeing the love fest for Brandon Rush when I was one of his very few supporters over the last few years.
    Well he did suck the last few years. Well maybe not suck, but the last few years and this year have shown a completely different Rush.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oxxo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo View Post
    Well he did suck the last few years. Well maybe not suck, but the last few years and this year have shown a completely different Rush.
    This. He used to suck rocks on offense. Played scared.

He had it in him. But he wouldn't show it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Banned

This. He used to suck rocks on offense. Played scared.

He had it in him. But he wouldn't show it.
    I wonder if his knee injury was the problem there.

His going to the basket instead of relying on the 3 is his biggest improvement and sets up other good things on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I wonder if his knee injury was the problem there.
    I said this in another thread, sometimes ACL injuries take a LONG time, particularly mentally. Swin Cash tore her ACL in 2006, and just as of last season completely returned to form.

It's a traumatic injury mentally, because a majority of the time, there's no contact..nothing to blame..it's not like you fell..the players knee just gives up.

It's certainly possible that Rush struggled with that. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's definitely possible.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always been a BRush fan.

I'm really happy we didn't trade him away.

He's definitly an important piece to our future. Our wing lineup is great. Danny and he can defend and score.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I said this in another thread, sometimes ACL injuries take a LONG time, particularly mentally. Swin Cash tore her ACL in 2006, and just as of last season completely returned to form.

It's a traumatic injury mentally, because a majority of the time, there's no contact..nothing to blame..it's not like you fell..the players knee just gives up.

It's certainly possible that Rush struggled with that. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's definitely possible.
    Wanna see someone who's clearly still a little shaky from a catastrophic knee injury, watch Mauric Creek at IU. He broke his patella last season and every time he hits the deck this year, he gets this scared look on his face like am I gonna be able to get back up. He's getting better, but there's definitely a mental hurdle that has to be tackled.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yeah, tell me about it.

What I said earlier can also not only go for last year, but also the past four-five years before that as well.

That is what makes Pacers basketball so fun to watch again. Win or lose, we are seeing glimpses of the core that is going to make us contenders again in 2-4 years. That feels sweet.

Back to the subject at hand; what do we do with Paul George if Brandon Rush is starting to turn into the player that we all thought that he could be? If he puts up 16 ppg with good defense does that make George expendable?

He has too much potential to trade right now. In a couple years though we will have a better idea of what he will be. At that point in time if Granger, Rush, and George are all playing as well as we hope then we evaluate the situation. It could be that George never really turns into a starter, but is one hell of a back-up, or George could eventually replace Granger. I think it is worth it to take a wait and see policy with him. Even if he is expendable he most likely will bring back more in 2 years than he will right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Wanna see someone who's clearly still a little shaky from a catastrophic knee injury, watch Mauric Creek at IU. He broke his patella last season and every time he hits the deck this year, he gets this scared look on his face like am I gonna be able to get back up. He's getting better, but there's definitely a mental hurdle that has to be tackled.
    Yup, different players handle it differently.

I saw one player, she was a consensus top 5 recruit for Uconn, some had her at #1..tore her ACL and never got over it.

Some are different though, our current (or..was our starting PG, now she not because she's injured) starting PG, has torn her ACL 3 times, and every time she recovers she comes back, mentally, like it never happened. (After the second time there was a physical difference..she's fearless though..enough so it makes the fans cringe whenever she runs at the basket..)

Knee injuries in themselves are hard to recover from..but an ACL tear, when you didn't do anything you don't normally do..it's just hard to trust your body again. I've watched enough women's basketball to see the ACL's happen a lot (I swear it happens more so at Uconn..) and with those injuries, in particular, seems like everyone is different in terms of recovery..physically and mentally..

How about have George back up both SF and SG positions? He should have lots of minutes available between those two positions. Dunleavy could be on another team after this year, and it remains to be seen what happens with Born Ready.

I have no interest in trading Paul George. I think that would be a huge mistake. He has a chance to be a special player, but he will take at least another season or so before he can get there and starts to show what he can become.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

I'm keeping my guard up with him. I want to see him sustain this over an extended period of time before I start bestowing honors upon him.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

And apparently we want to keep him a secret, so Dun is starting tomorrow.

When he plays 30 minutes off the bench, it is kind of trivial who "starts" the game. Maybe O'brien is hesitant to forgive Rush so quickly in regards to the suspension? Maybe O'brien fears Dunleavy's play will suffer if he is "demoted."
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    When he plays 30 minutes off the bench, it is kind of trivial who "starts" the game. Maybe O'brien is hesitant to forgive Rush so quickly in regards to the suspension? Maybe O'brien fears Dunleavy's play will suffer if he is "demoted."
    It's more simple than that. These lineups are working and they just came off two impressive wins in two nights. It ain't broken.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    And apparently we want to keep him a secret, so Dun is starting tomorrow.
    there starting 2 is thabo sefolosha so no need to start rush

brandon rush is the answer for the future at sg

he finally looks to be a steal at #13 a few years ago

add him to the list of danny, roy, darren, tyler, and perhaps josh and paul as being off trade limits
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Banned

I love how he looks like he's gliding when he soars for one of his dunks/drive.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Great. Now it's not a secret anymore. Thanks Bleacher Report.

I think his ball handling is really what is getting him to play better. His one handed in-out dribble is just nasty. It's really creating a lot of space for him, and he uses his body extremely well once he gets to the rim.

Going back to TJ's drawn out argument that started two weeks ago, BRush's follow through is much better now as well. He's not pulling his hands back like he used too, but actually keeping them in position. Much better rotation, much better distance control. He's no longer hitting the back of the rim and having it shoot off.

It's always the most simplistic things that make the biggest changes.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Great. Now it's not a secret anymore. Thanks Bleacher Report.
    It remains a secret to Jim until he makes Rush the full-time starter.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: