Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I guess all of Boise can blame me for that one.
    I will share that with You. Guess I'm eating some crow today. I went to bed at half time. Still think Boise is better than osu.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The OSU president Gordon Gee says Boise St. and TCU "are not worthy"

I still think Boise could beat Auburn and Oregon. Look there needs to be a playoff. We all need to pray TCU gets a chance to break up the monotony. Otherwise the big fat conferences will continue to collect their pay checks.

And for the record, I think the loss by Boise yesterday says loads more about the improved play in the WAC and Nevada than it does about Boise.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

My biggest problem with Boise: Their blue ****ing field. That thing is an outrage. The NCAA needs to step in and mandate that all playing surfaces in CFB be green. That smurf turf is obnoxious and when they wear their all blue uniforms at home you can't see them! They blend into the turf. It's ridiculous. If you want to be taken seriously Boise, then get rid of that gooftrooper field.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    My biggest problem with Boise: Their blue ****ing field. That thing is an outrage. The NCAA needs to step in and mandate that all playing surfaces in CFB be green. That smurf turf is obnoxious and when they wear their all blue uniforms at home you can't see them! They blend into the turf. It's ridiculous. If you want to be taken seriously Boise, then get rid of that gooftrooper field.
    Thats exactly why they made their field blue. Quite frankly I think it's genius. The NCAA has made a rule about it, and boise is why, but they have been grandfathered in. A couple weeks ago they wore orange jerseys on it and they still won 51-0. Does it take an adjustment? Yes. Is it why they are good? No. The blue field is how they got attention in the first place.

cdash,

You would just love the Eastern Washington field:

and yes, they wear red....

and here is the combo:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

The funny thing is, living in SEC country, the attitude I heard around here was that Gee was arrogant...for thinking the Big Ten should be mentioned the same sentence as the SEC. The last few years they haven't been talking about how much Boise St. is a joke, but how any team that comes out of the Big Ten (or pretty much any other conference) is at an unfair advantage for playing in a second rate league.

They do by and large hate Boise St/TCU though. My girlfriend (Razorback fan) texted me immediately after Boise lost about how much she and her parents were loving it.

So the Bowls take a dump on Boise St., having them play on a minor bowl on DEC. 22 vs. Utah, while all of these lesser teams play on New Years' Eve or on January 1:

Notre Dame (7-5)
    Miami (7-5)
    Georgia (6-6)
    Northwestern (7-5, #72 in the sagarin rankings)
    Texas Tech (7-5)
    Florida (7-5)
    Penn State (7-5)
    Mississippi State (8-4)
    Michigan (7-5, lucky to even beat IU)
    Connecticut (8-4)

Just about as bad, 12-1 Nevada (#18 in the Sagarin ratings) plays 7-5 Boston College (#57 in the Sagarin ratings)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

It is time for a real playoff, 32 teams, with no bowls at all other than those used in the playoff (16+8+4+2+1 = 31 playoff games vs. the 35 bowl games we have now). Each of the current bowls could host a playoff game, with full sponsorship.

Have teams finish by Dec 1, play 16 games on Dec 10/11, 8 games on Dec 17/18, 4 on Jan 1, 2 on Jan 8, crown a real champion on Jan 15 five days later than we would under this BCS crap.

How exciting would it be to have 4 concurrent doubleheader playoff games on your TV this Friday night, followed by a Saturday with 2 parallel quadruple headers? College football playoff excitement would match or exceed March Madness. Then you'd repeat it the next weekend with 8 games. Wow.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.

I agree Tom, but 32 seems like a lot, and they'll argue these kids will be too worn down after playing a 13 game schedule to then be expected to play 4 playoff games if you're the championship teams.

That's way I think 8 is probably the best choice, but man if there were 32...drool.

Also, funny that Utah vs. Boise State might actually be one of the best games we see all bowl season.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also, funny that Utah vs. Boise State might actually be one of the best games we see all bowl season.
    After Utah's bad showing against TCU and ND I think Boise won't have much trouble with them. Quite frankly Utah didn't really even beat anyone good this year.

And 32 teams is way too many. One, there aren't 32 teams that deserve to be in the playoffs for a National Championship. I mean look at the top 25 right now. Do you see anyone outside the top ten even being competitive? Maybe LSU at #11. I think an 8 team playoff would suffice. It would only add 2 more games to the season for the teams going to the title game. If they want, bowl games can exist outside the playoffs.

Oh and about the SEC... I will just say this, yes they have had better National Title success, but look at the other bowl games that the Big Ten has played in. They went 4-2 last year and won the 4 biggest ones and I believe they went .500 the year before. I think we are 2-0 against the SEC in the last two years as well.

At the very top the SEC is better, but I think the Big Ten is a deeper conference, which is why there are 3 teams in the top 10.

The Big Ten Champion just lost to TCU, a team that Gee thinks gets fat off of "Little Sisters of the Poor" teams. Is there anything more delicious?

Edit: Also, the "Murderer's Row" Big Ten Conference just went 0-5 today in Bowl Games. Iowa and Illinois are the only teams that represented. If you count Nebraska, the Big Ten's newest addition, the Big Ten is 2-6 with one game to play and 3 of the top 4 ranked teams losing. OSU is all that is left, and they have to play Arkansas.
    Last edited by judicata; 01-01-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Gee can go eat his crow now. TCU flat outplayed Wisconsin, who is better than Ohio State. Plus his amazing conference was throughly whopped today. All I née now is for OSU to lose in the Sugar Bowl.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.