Thread: NBA Awards Watch (ESPN)

Default NBA Awards Watch (ESPN)

http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/pa...a-awards-watch
    -Maurice Brooks

Most Valuable Player Watch
    1. Kobe Bryant, Lakers G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    14 32.6 .430 .302 .885 1.0 0.2 6.3 4.8 25.6 24.6
    Kobe is playing his fewest minutes since the 1998-99 season. But that's only because the Lakers handle their business so quickly and he spends the end of games icing his knees. (Last week: 3 | Team record: 12-2)

2. Chris Paul, Hornets G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    13 34.3 .487 .484 .864 2.9 0.1 4.8 10.2 16.6 27.4
    CP3 had an average game in a Hornets loss to the Clips, which have the fewest wins in the league. But his shooting, assists and steals numbers are outstanding. (Last week: 1 | Team record: 11-2)

3. Dwight Howard,
    Orlando Magic G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    13 33.5 .595 .000 .539 1.2 2.6 11.6 1.3 21.8 26.8
    Is this the season Howard's offensive game finally catches up to his D? Despite shooting a career low from the charity stripe, he is averaging a personal best in points and steals. (Last week: 4 | Team record: 9-4)

4. Rajon Rondo, Celtics G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    12 39.6 .500 .333 .467 2.5 0.3 4.8 14.3 11.2 20.1
    A bad hamstring has forced the league's assist leader to miss the past two games (a loss at Toronto and a win vs. the Hawks), but he is still Boston's most important player. (Last week: 2 | Team record: 10-4)

5. Russell Westbrook,
    Okla. City Thunder G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    14 37.2 .436 .235 .900 1.9 0.5 5.1 8.2 23.2 24.7
    OKC is Durant's town, but this season Westbrook has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting, including a 31-point, 6-assist gem in a win in Boston without KD or Green. (Last week: NR | Team record: 10-4)
    6. Pau Gasol, Lakers G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    14 38 .564 .000 .823 0.6 1.7 12.1 4.1 22.8 27.6
    Can Pau and Kobe be co-MVPs? Gasol made all of his shots and free throws against the Warriors, finishing with 28 points, 9 boards, 5 assists and 4 steals. (Last week: 8 | Team record: 12-2)

7. Derrick Rose,
    Chicago Bulls G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    11 37.7 .480 .341 .738 1.1 0.5 3.6 8.5 25.2 22.7
    Chicago was just two games above .500 last week, which put Rose at a disadvantage against the other candidates. But there is no denying he has played as well as anyone. (Last week: NR | Team record: 7-4)

8. Deron Williams, Jazz G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    15 38.8 .430 .317 .835 1.0 0.1 4.4 9.7 20.9 20.4
    He has been playing through injuries all season, but that hasn't earned Utah's leader in points and assists any extra time on the bench. He leads the league in total minutes. (Last week: 5 | Team record: 10-5)

9. Tony Parker, Spurs G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    13 34.2 .548 1.000 .786 2.0 0.0 3.5 7.8 19.5 23.8
    Parker has the Spurs looking like the biggest challengers to the Lakers out West. He is having his finest shooting season, while establishing a new personal standard in dimes. (Last week: 10 | Team record: 12-1)

10. Carmelo Anthony,
    Denver Nuggets G MIN FG% 3P% FT% STL BLK RPG AST PTS PER
    14 37.1 .462 .375 .874 1.5 0.6 9.1 3.3 25.4 23.7
    This spot was a tossup between Melo and Dirk, but Melo is in a groove. He grabbed 22 rebounds last week against the Suns and scored 39 in a win over the Warriors Monday. (Last week: NR | Team record: 8-6)
    Previous editions: Nov. 16

Most Improved Player Of The Year Watch

Hibbert
    1. Roy Hibbert, Pacers: In a league hurting for quality centers in the East, Hibbert is doing his best to help fill the void. (Last week: 1)

2. Kevin Love and Michael Beasley, Timberwolves: Both are playing at All-Star levels, but all of those splendid numbers have only translated into four wins for Minnesota. (Last week: 2 and 3)

3. Luis Scola, Rockets: On a team featuring Yao Ming, Kevin Martin and Aaron Brooks, it is the underappreciated Scola who has emerged as the face of the franchise. (Last week: 4)

4. Eric Gordon, Clippers: Blake Griffin isn't the only building block the Clippers possess. Gordon is the team's No. 1 shot-maker and the player the Clippers will rely on in crunch time. (Last week: 5)

5. Shannon Brown, Lakers: San Antonio's Richard Jefferson could go here, but he is not really an MIP candidate, He has simply returned to form. Paul Millsap has been great, but we've seen this from him in the past when Carlos Boozer was out. Brown gets the nod for going from dunker to complete basketball player in one offseason. (Last week: NR)

Defensive Player Of The Year Watch

Howard
    1. Dwight Howard, Magic: The reigning DPOY is currently fifth in rebounding and blocked shots. He has his work cut out if he is going to catch Love for the rebounding title. (Last week: 1)

2. Chris Paul, Hornets: The Hornets have used a winning formula of high-pressure defense to force turnovers and get easy scoring opportunities, with Paul serving as the lead blitzer. (Last week: 4)

3. Josh Smith, Hawks: His all-around hustle on the defensive end of the floor is highlighted by his made-for-television blocked shots. (Last week: NR)

4. Kevin Garnett, Celtics: KG's worth on the defensive end has never popped out at people statistically, but when he's dialed in few anchor a squad like he does. (Last week: NR)

5. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Bucks: Fantasy hoops players may not appreciate what he does defensively, but anyone who watches Milwaukee play on a regular basis appreciates his effort. (Last week: 2)

Coach Of The Year Watch

Williams
    1. Monty Williams, Hornets: Of course, New Orleans wasn't going to go 81-1, but to lose to the one-win Clippers?(Last week: 1)

2. Gregg Popovich, Spurs: The Heat get all of the attention because they are the Heat, and the Lakers get props for being the defending champs, but San Antonio is the squad sporting the league's best record. (Last week: 4)

3. Tom Thibodeau, Bulls: Chicago is winning, and his players enjoy playing for him. (Last week: NR)

4. Jim O'Brien, Pacers: Indiana's record stands at .500 after going into Miami and embarrassing the Heat on Monday night. (Last week: NR)

5. Byron Scott, Cavaliers: His return to New Orleans after being fired by the Hornets last season didn't end up as well as he wanted it to, but Cleveland is still playing better than expected. (Last week: 3)

Soooo.....Hibbert's to be expected but look who's already being talked about in the COY talk. We keep him if he wins?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA Awards Watch (ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Soooo.....Hibbert's to be expected but look who's already being talked about in the COY talk. We keep him if he wins?
    That would put us in quite the conundrum. I like what he's done this year, currently, I have very few issues with O'Brien. I have a few playing time questions, but I understand what he is doing and why he feels the need to do it, so it's not a huge deal for me.

if playoffs - an absolute lock.

if over 500 - also an absolute lock.

in fact if we are over 500 at allstar break i think you have to seriously consider extending him 1-2 years.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Good GMs keep a coach as long they believe that coach is the right one for the team's future (this rarely happens though, GMs priority is generally to keep their own job and prestige intact). His relative W/L success (or lack of thereof) in the recent past shouldn't be much of a factor. Overweighting recent success or failure leads to mistakes.

In this case, O'Brien isn't learning to coach this season. He didn't have some sort of epiphany. No reason to keep him just because the team made the playoffs, which is not even a real over-achievement. If Bird believes O'Brien can keep improving the team better than the alternatives, then that's a good reason to re-sign him. I'd be very reticent about that. Hard to say without knowing who else is available.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Currently Roy is in a slump: 4 points right now but he has 7 boards.

He is up against Varejao though.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been better this year. So will he keep it up? And on that note, will this entire team keep it up?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me there are two reasons that this team is better than last year, and JOB is not part of either.

1. Murphy is gone

2. Natural improvement of young players

Also it seems to me the only reason he is on there is because the team beat the Heat who are extremely overrated. I would have been more surprised if the Heat blew out the Pacers than if the Pacers blew out the Heat. You need more than a 3 man team to compete.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

His rotations confuse me sometimes, but as far as the offense and defense we are running, I have no issues. The team is bringing it on defense the last two games, and when we execute the passing offense it is a thing of Beauty.

Sometimes I think he overemphasizes pushing the tempo. Its great when things are going well, but when it isn't, things can get out of control quickly. I think he is slow to call timeouts in these situations to stem the tide, he tends to let the team sink or swim. I think this is what happened in the Philly game and we got buried. Sometimes you have to call a timeout and run some set plays to settle the team down.

Based on the execution recently, it seems like he has the team ready to play. They are really executing offensively and defensively and there is something to be said for that.

He still has a tendency to over rely on certain veterans. Outside of a few timely threes here and there, I really question how much Posey brings to the rotation. If he isn't hitting threes he really doesn't effect the game and while his team defense is very good, at times he is a liability one on one. I would like to see Tyler getting more consistent minutes.

I'm feeling very optimistic right now, I feel like this team is going to play well from here on out and be clearly in the playoff picture for the rest of the season. Does this mean Jim gets an extension? I feel less terrified right now at this prospect than I did a few months ago. One good test of a coach is how they coach in a playoff series against the same team multiple nights. At this point the jury is out...

Although in all honesty, I still really hope we look elsewhere... but I wouldn't lose my mind if Jim got extended. Knowing Jim however, that could change quickly. I would feel more comfortable if he could settle into some kind of consistent rotation.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports