Thread: IU Lands their PG of the future

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default IU Lands their PG of the future

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...l-commit-to-IU
    by: Jeff Rabjohns

Indiana University has found its point guard of the future, continuing its recruiting success of the past four months.

Park Tudor's Yogi Ferrell, one of the top juniors in the nation, has decided to play for the Hoosiers, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

Ferrell will announce his decision Wednesday evening prior to Park Tudor's season-opening game.

Ferrell is ranked as the No. 2 point guard in the nation in the junior class and No. 17 player overall by Rivals.

The 5-10 point guard becomes the seventh nationally ranked player to pick IU since August, in addition to a pair of other highly regarded Indianapolis players.

Coveted by a host of major programs, Ferrell eventually narrowed his list to Butler, Florida, IU, Virginia and Wake Forest.

Ferrell has been a summer teammate of Washington senior big man Cody Zeller for two years and the two have played nearly 60 games together.

After Zeller committed to IU on Nov. 11, he talked about getting Ferrell to join him.

Ferrell, who led Park Tudor to a Class 2A state runner-up finish last season, joins a cavalcade of in-state talent to declare for third-year coach Tom Crean since August.

Zeller (ranked No. 20 nationally among seniors) joined Hamilton Heights wing Austin Etherington, who committed last summer, in IU's 2011 recruiting class.

The juniors to pick IU are Ferrell, La Porte 6-8 forward Hanner Perea (No. 10), Broad Ripple shooting guard Ron Patterson (No. 78) and Charlotte, N.C., 7-0 center Peter Jurkin (No. 137).

Ferrell's commitment will put IU in the running for the top-ranked 2012 recruiting class in the nation.

The sophomores to commit to IU are Cathedral 6-6 wing Collin Hartman and Warren Central 6-6 wing Devin Davis, who made their decisions Sunday. Hartman and Davis could be nationally ranked by spring when the major scouting services announce their top 150 lists for the 2013 class.

The freshman are Tech's 6-9 Trey Lyles, ranked No. 1 in his class by ESPN, and Fort Wayne Luers' 6-2 combo guard James Blackmon Jr., ranked No. 15 by ESPN.
    Grown Man Ball

Default Re: IU Lands their PG of the future

Shhhh, it's a secret til tomorrow!

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'm not closely following all of this, but how many big names does IU have coming in now, when do they all get on the court, and how long do you think they'll all stick around?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not closely following all of this, but how many big names does IU have coming in now, when do they all get on the court, and how long do you think they'll all stick around?
    they wont even get there best player till 2014 trey lyles. They are getting some pretty good talent starting next yr and more coming every yr after.

What are their names and positions? How many are NBA talents?

Mood

tre lyles 6"9 freshmen at Tech hs IN PF/C. He is the number one player in the nation. Projected top 5 nba talent. Yogi Ferrell , Hanner Perea are pretty decent perea is 6"7 pf athletic and pretty good. I dont know much about the rest Tre i kno a lot about ive been following him for awhile now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

We'll start with the older guys:

2011 class, will hit campus next season:
    6'11 Cody Zeller, PF. He is a five star recruit and the one everybody knows. I'm not sure what kind of NBA potential he has, but I suspect he will be a four year player at IU.
    6'6 Austin Etherington, SF. He is only a 3/4 star recruit (depending on which service you prefer, Rivals or Scout) with a minimal NBA future. I suspect he will mainly be a shooter for IU.

2012 class, will hit campus in two years:
    5'10 Yogi Ferrell, PG. He is a five star recruit, the #2 PG in the nation for his class and has all the skills that would allow him to play in the NBA. The only problem is his he small. If he grows to about 6'1, I think he could easily be an NBA player, and his game isn't all that dissimilar to Darren Collison's. He hasn't officially committed yet, but that ends tomorrow.
    6'8 Hanner Perea, PF. He is a five star, super athletic power forward, and probably the most likely NBA player that the Hoosiers have coming in. He needs to refine his skills a little bit, but he has the measurables and the athleticism of an NBA player. Rivals has him as the #10 player in his class, while Scout and ESPN have him lower in the 40s. Weird discrepancy.
    7'0 Peter Jurkin, C. He's about a 3 star recruit. Big guy who can protect the paint on defense. He has potential, but I'd be surprised if he made a huge impact on the offensive side of the ball. Really skinny guy, will probably get shoved around quite a bit down low in the Big Ten.
    6'3 Ron Patterson, SG. He's a four star recruit, really athletic guy, solid defender. Not much of a scorer but he seems to me to be kind of like current Hoosier Victor Oladipo. Not a guy you would think will hit the NBA.

2013 class, will hit campus in 3 years:
    6'6 Collin Hartman, SF. It's pretty early to have his class ranked, but early word is he is a borderline 4/5 star guy, possibly a top 25 guy in his class. Purdue fans saw him as maybe a Robbie Hummel 2.0. I honestly don't know, but he is a great shooter and has a nice all around game. I guess he could have NBA potential, but it's so hard to project guys his age.
    6'6 Devin Davis, SF. He's right around Hartman's area. Borderline 5 star kid. Athletic, really hard worker according to his coaches. Again, he could have an NBA future, but it's really hard to tell. Not sure if he has more growing to do or not.

2014 class, will hit campus in 4 years:
    6'10 Trey Lyles, PF. As pacers4ever said, he is the top ranked kid in his class right now. It's insanely early to have rankings on kids who haven't even played a high school game yet, but this kid looks special. Word is he can play any position on the court, he is a great ball handler for his size and can score inside and out. Out of all the guys we have coming in, he looks to be the most surefire NBA prospect, probably a one and done if he's as good as everyone says he is.
    6'4 James Blackmon, SG. He's also a highly ranked kid in his class, top 15ish and he has good genes. His dad was a standout player at Kentucky. I really don't know a whole lot about him. Again, everyone who has seen him says he is the real deal, so take that for what it's worth.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

a breakdown:

next year:
    SF Austin Etherington 3 stars, 6'6" 195
    PF Cody Zeller, 5 stars, 6'10" 210

year after:
    PG Yogi, 5 stars
    C Peter Jurkin, 3 stars, 6'11" 205
    SG Ron Patterson, 4 stars, 6'3" 195
    PF Hanner Perea, 5 stars 6'8" 210

year after that:
    SF/SG Collin Hartman, 6'6", 190
    SF/SG Devin Davis, 6'5", 190

year after that:
    PF Tre Lyles, 6'8", 200
    SG James Blackmon Jr., 6'2", 180

oops... cdash beat me to it while I was typing...
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-23-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Both Jurkin and Etherington have been upgraded to 4 stars by a lot of scouting people FWIW.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yogi has to get taller to guarantee a trip to the NBA. As of right now, he's the second coming of Jason Gardner, which isn't bad for college. One thing I will say, is if you have'nt seen this guy in person you need to check him out at some point. An absolute ball handling fool. He mixes is hesitations and stutter steps with all of his crossovers, spins, and between the legs and behind the back dribbles, and he can combo from any of his go to moves into any other of his go to moves. He seriously looks like a character out of that NBA Street game sometimes.

Gary Harris is the guy IU needs to get and will turn their focus to now that Yogi has signed. He is Eric Gordon 2.0 and it sounds like he is starting to become an IU lean.

Another guy that could be added to that 2014 class is the Blueitt kid coming into Park Tudor. He's a 5 star prospect right now, around 15 in the class, (Blackmon is about 5ish), he and Yogi should lead Park Tudor to back to back IHSAA Class 2A Championships.

Yogi will be the number 1 PG in the nation by the time he arrives on campus I think.

Wow. Sounds like it's going to get very fun in Bloomington soon. Thanks, guys.

By the way, this Yogi/Jeff Rabjohns/Yogi's mom twitter war has blown way, way out of proportion. I don't understand why people are on the guy's case--he's just doing his job. I understand it's a big deal for Yogi to announce it, but it's not like it was a big secret. Everyone knew he was going to pick Indiana. It wasn't even news.

LOL I hadn't even been following this...hilarious.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lookin' good.

Jeff Rabjohns is going to be the most hated man in Indiana tomorrow if Yogi Ferrell commits somewhere else just so he can have "his moment"

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

...and then boom.

Gary Harris, you're on the clock. It's Indiana.

I'm going to talk so much **** if we get Harris...I don't even care if it's too early.

Mood

They better watch out for this IU program the next few years. Crean is doing a great job recruiting.