Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    La Lumiere seems to be bringing in a ton of D1 recruits the last couple years. I'd never even heard of them before Marcius. What's the deal there, did they get a new coach/AD that want the publicity or something? Do they even play anyone, they're a private school so they're not part of the IHSAA right?
    I don't know if La Lumiere is a part of the IHSAA or not, but I know private schools, that recruit, can be a part of the the IHSAA. Schools like Burris, Lafayette Central Catholic, Bowman Academy all recruit, and all of them participate in the state tournament.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I went to Brebeuf and we were in the IHSAA.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brian Cardinal gets some love from Marc Stein of ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...610/daily-dime

. . . Nowitzki remembers how annoyingly pesky Cardinal can be when he's on the other side. Dirk has been known to tell the story of how he once tried to dismiss the dude in the Minnesota uniform hounding him, as they lined up for a free throw when Cardinal was still with the Wolves, by saying: "How are you still in this league?"

That's a question I've asked many times myself, how is Brian Cardinal still in the NBA? He's like a Vogon.

Mood

Article about Jay Simpson's transfer to La Lumiere:

http://www.illinihq.com/news/2011/06...ps_for_purdue/
    Klee: Simpson preps for Purdue

By Paul Klee
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 6:00 AM CDT

When Jay Simpson begins summer school at an Indiana prep school Wednesday, there will be seven other students in the classroom.

That's it.

And during the regular school year, most of his classes won't have more than 10 students.

"Jay will be forced to do a couple hours of homework every night here," said Alan Huss, the boys' basketball coach at La Lumiere School in LaPorte, Ind. "When you walk into a class with 10 kids and you don't have your homework done, it's glaringly obvious."

That is the main reason Simpson is transferring from Champaign Central to La Lumiere School for his senior year: academics. A Purdue recruit, Simpson could have qualified academically by staying at Central. His academic situation really isn't that bad.

But by attending La Lumiere, Simpson feels he has a much better chance of making the necessary grades to play as a freshman at Purdue.

It isn't an unusual move. Another 2012 prospect, Bobo Drummond, left Peoria Central after his sophomore year and is about to enter his second year at La Lumiere. His academic situation now is much better than it was in Peoria. Illinois junior-to-be D.J. Richardson left Peoria to attend a prep school in Nevada. It is Richardson and the UI's belief that he probably would not have qualified if not for the move to Findlay Prep.

The La Lumiere basketball program is not separate from the school, and college coaches believe the academics standards are legit. Despite a schedule that is heavy on travel, the basketball team missed only one day of class last season, Huss said.

"I know they're going to get me ready for college," Simpson said.

Simpson likely will be joined at La Lumiere by at least two players from the state of Illinois. An SIU recruit, Drummond is the team captain. Jerron Wilbut (from Downers Grove South) also will be there for the 2011-12 season, Simpson said. Wilbut's transfer has not been finalized, Huss added. Indiana recruit Hanner Perea also is on the roster.

Huss said there are six or seven players who are or will be Division I recruits, and 11 guys who will play at some level of college basketball. La Lumiere's schedule last season included about 15 games against "national-type programs," including powers like Findlay Prep (Nevada) and South Kent (Connecticut).

Basketballwise, the advantage for Simpson is twofold. One, La Lumiere is able to practice twice daily in the preseason and with a structured weightlifting program. If he's going to make it at Purdue, Simpson will have to see an uptick in his work ethic, and La Lumiere's regimen will demand that from him a year in advance.

"We get up at 5 (a.m.)," Huss said. "This is not an easy place to be. His body will transform this year. You will notice a difference the next time you see him."

Two, Simpson will be matched against other big men. That is the case on the club circuit, where he plays his best basketball, but not necessarily in high school.

Though he doesn't always play hard enough, Simpson usually is more skilled than the big men he plays against. La Lumiere will have two other big men who are not as skilled as Simpson but play harder than he does.

"Going against those guys every day, he won't be able to take a play off," Huss said. "We see Jay as a face-up (power forward). I think probably the best thing he does is face people and drive it at them and make plays. He'll have an opportunity to do what he does in AAU, which is face up against a bigger guy. He won't have to apologize for being a big man, if that makes sense. That's why I think Jay's best basketball is ahead of him."

Simpson said he's about 6-foot-8 and 240 pounds. He gave an oral commitment to Purdue last May. He watched closely when Missouri courted Matt Painter after last season and said he was relieved when Painter signed a long-term deal to stay at Purdue.

"I probably would've went wherever he went," said Simpson, who took an unofficial visit to the West Lafayette campus about two weeks ago.

Simpson said he would leave for La Lumiere on Monday or Tuesday before hitting the club circuit in July with Illinois Wolves.

"(At La Lumiere) we'll be playing a lot of good competition against good players. I like that," Simpson said. "And I like to meet some new people. It will be new for me. I know it's going to push me to get better."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

JJ & E'Twuan both in Boston, that's pretty awesome. Hope E'Twuan can make the team.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Celtics current roster:

20 Ray Allen G 6-5 205
    45 Carlos Arroyo G 6-2 200
    0 Avery Bradley G 6-2 180
    11 Glen Davis F 6-9 289
    5 Kevin Garnett F 6-11 253
    8 Jeff Green F 6-9 235
    4 Nenad Krstic C 7-0 240
    30 Troy Murphy F 6-11 245
    7 Jermaine O'Neal C 6-11 255
    36 Shaquille O'Neal C 7-1 325
    77 Sasha Pavlovic F 6-7 235
    34 Paul Pierce - (C) F 6-7 235
    9 Rajon Rondo G 6-1 171
    12 Von Wafer G 6-5 209
    13 Delonte West G 6-3 180

Bold are expiring. So Allen obviously will start, and otherwise they have Bradley. West, Wafer, and Arroyo aren't exactly great competition.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Celtics current roster:

20 Ray Allen G 6-5 205
    45 Carlos Arroyo G 6-2 200
    0 Avery Bradley G 6-2 180
    11 Glen Davis F 6-9 289
    5 Kevin Garnett F 6-11 253
    8 Jeff Green F 6-9 235
    4 Nenad Krstic C 7-0 240
    30 Troy Murphy F 6-11 245
    7 Jermaine O'Neal C 6-11 255
    36 Shaquille O'Neal C 7-1 325
    77 Sasha Pavlovic F 6-7 235
    34 Paul Pierce - (C) F 6-7 235
    9 Rajon Rondo G 6-1 171
    12 Von Wafer G 6-5 209
    13 Delonte West G 6-3 180

Bold are expiring. So Allen obviously will start, and otherwise they have Bradley. West, Wafer, and Arroyo aren't exactly great competition.
    + Shaq is gone too...they don't have a lot coming back unless they re-up the FAs

is JO gonna be back? Edit: Yes 1 more year. Good guy for JJ to learn from
    Last edited by dal9; 06-24-2011 at 05:09 PM.

I am just really happy they get to play together for now, and that they went to a good team. I don't love the Celtics, but it a great place for them.

JJ will be 12, E 55:

(pic)
    http://twitpic.com/5hn3ci

Sports Logo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Kyle Molock uncommitted.. I guess everyone had this feeling coming...

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=4615281&fhn=1

Just days before the start of the July evaluation period for coaches, Kyle Molock decided to re-open his recruitment. The one time Purdue pledge will now be an uncommitted prospect for coaches to see.
    Molock, who picked Purdue before the start of his sophomore season, had been a long time commit to the Boilers. However the guard from the state of Ohio decided to go in a new direction.

"Dublin Coffman Point Guard Kyle Molock has decommitted from his verbal to Purdue University," said Coffman Head Coach Jamey Collins via email.

Currently Molcok is recovering from knee surgery, and plans to play for the Ohio Basketball Club during the upcoming season.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Kyle Molock uncommitted.. I guess everyone had this feeling coming...

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=4615281&fhn=1
    He'll end up at mid-major at best...probably about as voluntary as Bade volunteering to get his azz kicked on the gridiron..

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    He'll end up at mid-major at best...probably about as voluntary as Bade volunteering to get his azz kicked on the gridiron..
    I wouldn't be surprised if he gets recruited by Paul Lusk, since he was the one so actively involved... I think a lot will depend on how he comes back from this injury... best wishes to the kid...

Now that opens us up for the chance to try and sign both Gary Harris, and AJ Hammons, maybe even save it for Alex Foster... 1 scholarship, 1 oversign...
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

We're right in the thick of it for Harris now. Best of luck to Kyle. I don't blame him at all for decommitting; after Ronnie Johnson verbaled Molock had to see that the pg position was going to be jammed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

To add to Heisenberg's post there are lots of videos and interviews with JuJuan and E'twaun by the Celtics:

http://www.csnne.com/pages/celticsvideo

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

http://www.theboilingpoints.com/2011...ue-day-on.html

Tonight, 6/29, on the Big Ten Network, The Journey will feature former Boilers JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore. It will give a recap of their senior year, show graduation, and their preparations for the NBA Draft. Also, tomorrow on the Big Ten Network is "Purdue day." Starting at 2pm eastern they will show "classic" games in Purdue history. Below is the schedule for the day.

Schedule for "Purdue Day"

2pm eastern- Duke vs Purdue from 2003-men's basketball
    4pm eastern- Michigan at Purdue 2008-football
    6pm eastern- Ohio St at Purdue 2009- football
    8pm eastern-The Journey-featuring JJ and E'Twaun
    8:30pm eastern- Wisconsin at Purdue (assuming court rushing game)-men's basketball
    10:30pm eastern- Notre Dame at Purdue 1999- football
    12:30am eastern-Repeat of The Journey
    1am eastern- Indiana at Purdue 1994-men's basketball

Good story on Lew Jack:

Home, friends forge hoops star

Purdue’s Jackson got strength from neighborhood

DECATUR, Ill. – The house looks different now.

The siding is new, no longer riddled with bullet holes. Grass has covered one of the gravel driveways. There’s no basketball hoop.

But when Lewis Jackson looks at the small, white house at 808 East Johns St. in Decatur, Ill., he still sees the place he grew up.

A sparkle comes to his eyes, a smile sneaks to the corner of his lips, and he starts to reminisce.

Right there, in the front yard, he’d play football, “kill the man” and wrestle – complete with championship belts to the winner – with best friends Kyler Works and West Dawson.

See the bit of gravel leading into a makeshift driveway that’s left? That’s one of the spots they’d play ball, honing their dribbling skills by maintaining control despite the rocks. That’s where Jackson’s mom, Zinda, won every time they played.

Turning to the street, Jackson talks about how it’d be overwhelmed with people, mostly youngsters, how no one could “pay the street to be quiet” as kids gathered in their yards until the early morning hours.

Looking down toward Maffit Street, he can see a couple bare rims in the park nearby, and over the hill is the court where he developed his game.

“Best time of our lives,” Purdue’s starting senior point guard Jackson said while he was back home during a three-week break this spring. “I think about that, I guess I’m going to have more fun as I get older, but those days, I don’t regret it.”

Then the mood changes as Jackson’s eyes fix on a spot near a tiny garage, one that barely looks big enough to fit a car.

His voice lowers, barely above a whisper, and Jackson tells another story, another way this street, this town, defined him.

He had raced home from school, even hopped the fence in his excitement to get home quickly. It was his birthday. He heard the arguing before he got in the house. Had heard it before but, still young, didn’t realize the meaning. But then his dad, Lewis III, picked him up and lifted him into the truck, parked in the driveway.

“I’m leaving,” he told his 10-year-old only child, “and, now, you’re the man of the house.”

A click; a realization.

“From that day, I think it gave me my drive just to be better and to do something because then I saw her (Zinda) become a mother and a father,” Jackson said. “Those were the tougher years for her, especially being around here. I now don’t have a father, now the streets are right here, and I was running with the crowd. I’m not even going to call those guys the wrong crowd because they had basketball dreams, but none of us really had father figures. If you had a father, he was in jail or running around.

“I’d seen enough to really make me know I didn’t want that life.”

Mean streets

Lewis Jackson wasn’t perfect after that talk.

He still had to battle the temptations of the street.

Drug dealers gathered on a corner he could see from his window. Some from St. Louis moved into a house on the street to stake their claim to new territory. Two people Jackson grew up with are in jail now for selling drugs.

Violence was part of life. He not only frequently heard gunfire, he’d been in its sights. As a toddler, he slipped out of the house without anyone noticing to ride on his Big Wheel and soon was in the midst of gunfire. When he was older, he was sleeping on the floor in the house on Johns Street – it’s the safest place to be, he says, and still does it now out of habit – when bullets rifled through it. When he was 11, he saw his first shooting – a drive-by – when he was walking back from playing basketball at the court over the hill. His uncle’s house next door was raided by police.

But Jackson wasn’t scared by the environment. Instead, he said he was “intrigued by everything.”

Without getting specific, Jackson said he rebelled when he was in seventh grade and got into some trouble.

But Zinda did everything she could to keep him from it.

She had him in private school.

She had him play soccer, football, baseball and basketball, anything to stay busy after school.

She moved them out of the neighborhood after Lewis’ seventh-grade year, a choice that had him crying because he was leaving all his friends.

Ultimately, Lewis Jackson knew it was right.

He knew the neighborhood was dangerous, saw it “getting crazier the older we got.”

He started to embrace the group of family and friends who surrounded him.

He didn’t want to let down his mom, who had him when she was 19, and the other women who helped raise him: grandmother Lessie Chargois and aunts Sonja Chargois and Tanja Chargois. He appreciated the support and guidance of guys he refers to as brothers – Dawson, Works and Cody and Antonio Carr – and mentor Felipe Phillips.

“We tried to build a circle around him where we didn’t allow certain people in because a kid don’t come out of this town, going to a major school like Purdue, like he was able to,” Phillips said.

“He’s one of the chosen few,” Antonio Carr said.

So Jackson started changing.

He shifted focus to basketball and school.

“Everybody here, all them, they know, the first thing they say, ‘You better keep going. You’re doing the right thing,’ ” Jackson said. “Once everybody saw the way my talent was pushing, it become more, ‘You don’t need to do what we’re doing. You just need to play ball. We’ll help you here and there.’

“Everybody understood I was my own man. If I had to do what I did, I did it. But nine times out of 10, nobody was allowing it. God has blessed me to give me enough people to watch me.”

‘Born to ball’

Jackson slowly walks toward the court, surrounded by trees, at Johns Hill Park.

This is different, too.

There isn’t a crack that runs down the left side, one that helped Jackson learn to control his dribble.

The length has been extended, too, closer to regulation size.

There are actual nets on the rims, the first time Jackson has seen this. People used to steal the nets, he said.

And both rims are the correct height, not having one 6 inches shorter like when Jackson, Dawson and Works played there.

And when the group saunters toward the court, occupied by a one-on-one game with tree branches encroaching enough to alter shots, the memories flood back.

“This is how I learned how to play,” Jackson said. “We always used to hear people say, ‘Go in the gym. Concrete going to tear your knees up.’ But we couldn’t get in the gym. Our high school coaches didn’t really open it up for younger kids. So this is all we had.”

Initially, they’d come during the sweltering summer days – nights were reserved for the high schoolers. But it didn’t take long for them to quickly rise in the ranks of the city’s best and, soon, they were the ones playing in front of packed crowds under the lights.

They’d send out notices on MySpace with the time of games.

People would pull up park benches and surround the court. Girls would come just to watch. Guys who didn’t play ball would come just to be at the hot spot.

“If you could play here and actually play, you probably could play anywhere in Decatur during our age level because the best competition was coming from out South where we were from,” Jackson said.

Everywhere Jackson played, his talent was on display.

Phillips remembers seeing Jackson play for the first time in a three-on-three game when he was in sixth grade. Phillips liked Jackson’s quickness and skills with the ball but was floored by his leadership ability and how hard he went despite being the smallest and youngest player.

Sonja Chargois remembers when Jackson was 3, standing on the edge of the sofa and leaping to dunk it on a hoop hanging on the door.

“We would be like, ‘Boy, you’re going to break your neck.’ But I think it was just always in him,” said Sonja, who considers Lewis more of a brother than nephew because they were in the same house for four years. “I think sometimes you just can’t help what you’re born to do. That was it. He had a love for basketball even before he ever hit the court.

“I think because of that, those other things that were out there, basketball had his attention from the get-go, so he just never fell into that stuff. You can say he’s lucky, but I just think that he was born to ball and that’s what grabbed him at an early age.”

Beating the odds

With that strong support system and a confidence boost by starting as a freshman on varsity, Jackson excelled at Eisenhower High School and landed a scholarship at Purdue.

In the three years since arriving in West Lafayette, Jackson has been a steadying influence at point guard for the Boilermakers while adding unique elements to the program.

No one has his quickness, which allows him to get to the basket and defend opposing point guards with an in-your-face ferocity.

His leadership has been critical, both in what he’s willing to say and by the example he sets in work ethic and toughness.

But it’s not just his presence on the court that impresses people in Decatur.

Family and friends gush about Jackson the man.

He’s matured, is responsible and accountable for his actions. He’s shown he can learn from mistakes. Since being arrested in April 2009 and pleading guilty to charges of illegal alcohol consumption and possession of drug paraphernalia, there have been no more incidents.

He’s opened up a bit, giving others a glimpse into what his family has always seen: a big heart and a generous approach to life.

He’s kept a focus on academics, landing on the “Coach’s honor roll” (minimum 3.0 GPA) and is on target to graduate with a degree in organizational leadership and supervision.

“He already did what nobody does, graduating from college,” Cody Carr said.

“That’s rare. Normally people, they don’t finish college. They start, but they don’t finish. Besides him playing ball, he’s going to have a degree. … The main goal is to get away from here and set up a better living, ’cause if you settle for less, basically you don’t want nothing out of life. So if he strives for what he wants and pursues it and just continues to do it, he can’t do nothing but be a success story.”

To many, Jackson already is.

“Growing up in our neighborhood, a lot of guys his age are either dead or locked up. He has beat the odds,” Sonja Chargois said.
    The part that struck me was that he slept on the floor as a child because it was safer, and that he still does out of habit. Crazy.

Sports Logo

New floor after the water damage killed the old one.

Not sure how I like the two tone wood, have to see it in real life to judge but generally not a fan of them. The P instead of the train'll take some getting used to.

I like it a lot. Would like a train somewhere, but it is very nice. Gene's signature is an excellent touch.

Mood

I like it a lot. Would like a train somewhere, but it is very nice. Gene's signature is an excellent touch.
    I hated the train don't know why but just didn't like it.

Man, I really hate the new Big Ten logo.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I know it would be confusing as hell, but they really need to switch us to the Big 12, and the current Big 12 to the Big 10.

Sports Logo

I know it would be confusing as hell, but they really need to switch us to the Big 12, and the current Big 12 to the Big 10.
    Meh, screw it. It's far too big a brand name to change. The conference footprint covers 10 states now so it still makes sense...kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Meh, screw it. It's far too big a brand name to change. The conference footprint covers 10 states now so it still makes sense...kinda.
    I guess. I don't think they ever would, but the names are just stupid.

Sports Logo

John Hart had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right foot, out 3/4 months. Kinda odd they waited this long, not like it's a new injury.