Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's what Tom Crean is doing at Indiana

I don't like that practice.
    agree...& now purdue is in on the act w/ rj.

trust me, i think bade is really bad, but he should not get the boot just b/c MP whiffed on evaluating talent...

and apparently bade being kicked off doesn't solve the scholarship problem, and so one of he freshman or sophs will have to go (or they withdraw a 2012 or 2013 verbal)...it looks bad.

if MP knows s/one will transfer, he should wait until the announcement to offer RJ...surely, he could have told him that he will get an offer as soon as a transfer occurs...

lastly, we don't need so many guards anyway...

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Molock decommiting is really the only thing that makes sense to me. It'd be to mutual benefit, I can't see him getting time over any of the incoming guys in 12 and 13.

I don't like it, a kid makes a commitment to you you should do the same for him, but it's the way it goes now I guess. If that's what's going to happen it needs to happen now so Molock's got time to find a new landing spot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I read that a red shirt player could graduate on time, and that could open up a scholarship. Like Hart maybe? I don't know if that is accurate or plausible, but ya.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I think I read that a red shirt player could graduate on time, and that could open up a scholarship. Like Hart maybe? I don't know if that is accurate or plausible, but ya.
    i think that's grasping at straws...think about "graduating early"...that essentially means kicking off a senior-to-be right before his last season of eligibility...

another offer today, for 2012, btw (aj hammons)
    Last edited by dal9; 05-03-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Heisenberg corrected Hammons' year

Sports Logo

Duquesne assistant Greg Gary, Anderson Highland grad fills the last assistant coach slot.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    i think that's grasping at straws...think about "graduating early"...that essentially means kicking off a senior-to-be right before his last season of eligibility...

another offer today, for 2013, btw (aj hammons)
    He wouldn't really be graduating early though. He would be graduating on time. He would just be giving up a year of eligibility.

No matter what I trust whatever Painter is doing.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post

another offer today, for 2013, btw (aj hammons)
    Hammons is also 2012, which just screws everything up. Molock decommit, Marcius really is homesick and heads home? Regardless, it's a precedent I don't like being set.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hammons is also 2012, which just screws everything up. Molock decommit, Marcius really is homesick and heads home? Regardless, it's a precedent I don't like being set.
    Yeah its crazy that after RJ commited Purdue started aggressively recruiting Hammons, we should have been doing that at first... but oh well we will see what happens though.

I think our chance at Gary Harris has flown, unless we can get Hammons that might entice him to look at us more seriously...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah its crazy that after RJ commited Purdue started aggressively recruiting Hammons, we should have been doing that at first... but oh well we will see what happens though.

I think our chance at Gary Harris has flown, unless we can get Hammons that might entice him to look at us more seriously...
    And then be oversigned by THREE? I don't think there's much a chance of Gary Harris staying in state, be it us or IU. Louisville just lost a heralded recruiter in Tim Fuller and he took 2012 #2 nationally Rodney Purvis with him, don't know how involved he is in Harris's recruitment but it can't help.

Looks more and more like Michigan State to me. Be nice kicking his and Dawson's asses every year.

I'm guessing it'll be MSU as well.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    And then be oversigned by THREE? I don't think there's much a chance of Gary Harris staying in state, be it us or IU. Louisville just lost a heralded recruiter in Tim Fuller and he took 2012 #2 nationally Rodney Purvis with him, don't know how involved he is in Harris's recruitment but it can't help.

Looks more and more like Michigan State to me. Be nice kicking his and Dawson's asses every year.
    Yeah, I guess I am getting greedy with what IU is doing with the over recruiting job and fell if we want to stay on their level maybe it would be good to do the same. But I do like the chemistry that we have on our team (barlow included) and it would be kind of weird having someone leave...

Humm maybe we could buy a scholarship from the football team and just say they are "walkons" to the basketball team, lol

That should be able to work, have them dress for one football game, lol

Oh yeah and I just have a feeling that Harris will go to OSU but yeah we will see though.

And yeah Louisville is really messing up they are losing on a ton of recruits as well as current players.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Updated schollie grid:

2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
    Robbie Hummel 1 Sr
    Ryne Smith 2 Sr
    Lewis Jackson 3 Sr
    Patrick Bade 4 Ju 1 Sr
    John Hart 5 Ju 2 Sr
    Kelsey Barlow 6 Ju 3 Sr
    D.J. Byrd 7 Ju 4 Sr
    Sandi Marcius 8 So 5 Ju 1 Sr
    Travis Carroll 9 So 6 Ju 2 Sr
    Terone Johnson 10 So 7 Ju 3 Sr
    Anthony Johnson 11 Fr 8 So 4 Ju 1 Sr
    Donnie Hale 12 Fr 9 So 5 Ju 2 Sr
    Jacob Lawson 13 Fr 10 So 6 Ju 3 Sr
    Jay Simpson 11 Fr 7 So 4 Ju 1 Sr
    Rapheal Davis 12 Fr 8 So 5 Ju 2 Sr
    Kyle Molock 13 Fr 9 So 6 Ju 3 Sr
    Ronnie Johnson 14 Fr 10 So 7 Ju 4 Sr
    Derek Willis 11 Fr 8 So 5 Ju 1 Sr
    Basil Smotherman 12 Fr 9 So 6 Ju 2 Sr
    Kendall Stephens 13 Fr 10 So 7 Ju 3 Sr
    Bryson Scott 14 Fr 11 So 8 Ju 4 Sr
    TBD 2014 recruit 12 Fr 9 So 5 Ju
    TBD 2014 recruit 13 Fr 10 So 6 Ju
    TBD 2015 recruit 11 Fr 7 So
    TBD 2015 recruit 12 Fr 8 So
    TBD 2015 recruit 13 Fr 9 So
    TBD 2016 recruit 10 Fr
    TBD 2016 recruit 11 Fr
    TBD 2016 recruit 12 Fr
    TBD 2016 recruit 13 Fr

The red square represents being over the scholarship limit for that year, but should not in any way be tied to the player whose name is also in that row.
    Last edited by Dab; 05-05-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: grammatical hairsplitting

I think if Harris was going to commit in state, it would have happened by now. Unless he wants his own unique moment and didn't want to get caught up in the Yogi, Hanner, Hollowell madness. Either way, he's been so quiet, I think he's probably leaning MSU or OSU.

Shame for him really, he's going to miss out on a great time in college basketball in this state.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Boiler blurbs from day one of the Spiece Run 'n' Slam tournament in Ft. Wayne

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1219500

Bryson Scott

Bryson Scott is not one to back down from anyone. . . "I'm not going to be intimidated by anybody," Scott said.

That was pretty clear Friday night in his opening game of the Hensley Memorial Run 'N Slam in Fort Wayne, in his Spiece Indy Heat's 70-54 win over CDBA.

Scott, a 6-foot-1 point guard recruit who averaged nearly 20 points as a sophomore at Northrop, scored seven of his team's first nine en route to finishing with 20 points, seven rebounds and three assists, with a couple steals . .

Ronnie Johnson

In his first AAU game as a Purdue commitment, recently added Boilermaker rising-senior pledge Ronnie Johnson starred in his Eric Gordon Central Stars team's 100-56 win over the Michigan Titans.

Johnson scored 20 points and handed out seven assists.

Jay Simpson

Big man recruit Jay Simpson's Illinois Wolves 17-and-under team rallied from a double-digit deficit to beat ICP Portland in overtime, 65-54, outscoring its opponent 11-0 in the extra session.

Simpson finished with eight points and five rebounds, but made some of his biggest plays when they mattered most.

Gary Harris

Gary Harris . . . after his first game at Spiece, reiterated that his recruitment is open.

The 6-4 blue-chipper and Purdue legacy said the Boilermaker coaching staff continues to recruit him heavily.

and more on Ronnie Johnson:
    http://mosports.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1219528
    Last edited by Dab; 05-07-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Sounds like good news overall. Man, the future is gonna be good.

Mood

Day 2 blurbs:

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1219590

• 2013 commit Kendall Stephens out for a month because of pain in the big toe

• Guard commitments Bryson Scott and Ronnie Johnson each had 18 points in their afternoon games, with Scott's Spiece Indy Heat winning big and Johnson's Eric Gordon All-Stars falling to All-Ohio Red.

• Purdue 2014 big man prospect Tyler Wideman of Lake Central will unofficially visit West Lafayette on Tuesday

• Evansville Bosse blue-chip sophomore-to-be JaQuan Lyle said that Purdue offered him a scholarship during a recent unofficial visit, joining Xavier, Indiana and Illinois.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

Mood

Supposedly the aptly-named Tyler Wideman, 6'7", 240 lbs, Lake Central class of 2014, was offered by Coach Painter during Wideman's unofficial visit Tuesday.

I can't find anything that confirms that, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Painter had. Also, Wideman was said to be impressed by the Mackey upgrades.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    Supposedly the aptly-named Tyler Wideman, 6'7", 240 lbs, Lake Central class of 2014, was offered by Coach Painter during Wideman's unofficial visit Tuesday.

I can't find anything that confirms that, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Painter had. Also, Wideman was said to be impressed by the Mackey upgrades.
    Cool, so is that whole project done, I know that they hadn't even started the last time that I was up there. Also I assume Wideman is projected to be a 4, lol looking at both his size and his last name

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Cool, so is that whole project done, I know that they hadn't even started the last time that I was up there.
    Oh no, they'll be working on it probably right up to the opening game. Here's what the bowl looks like right now:

Bleacher seats have been torn out, and concrete poured for the new premium seating.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

Mood

Hey check out the addidas may classic thread

Mood

Update Scout Top 50 for 2013 is out, Bryson Scott at #42, Kendall Stephens at #46

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...pid=88&yr=2013

I can't wait for those two to get to campus.

Sports Logo

They can't pull up the floor for a massive renovation project? Seriously?

Mood

I wondered about that myself

Mood

What I take so far from the Adidas May Classic about Purdue Commits and Prospects

Derek Willis is NICE... tall, long, smooth shot, can pass, has good vision, needs to become more aggressive on d though, and can dribble good for a big man.

Wideman is super raw, has decent speed for his size, and a good outside shot. Needs to work on his inside game as well as understanding of the game.

Gary Harris is good with potential to be great. He has to have something that turns his game on though... at the beginning of a lot of games he just seemed not to into it. As competition arose he started to light it up, hitting 3's, taking it to the hole, making smart passes. He still needs to work on a few things but I see why he is rated so high(previously I didn't). He also has decent defense but again that only showed when competition from another good player arose.

Blackmon Jr has a smooth shot, still very young and a lot of room to improve, has a lot of confidence though.

Trevon Bluitt.... this kid is the truth... He has good defense, knows how to drive. Makes excellent decisions with the ball, doesn't force stuff (although he got his would have been game winning his shot blocked).

The kid is long an has range, he hit 3's back to back and seemed to have a lot of leader ship qualities. He is 6'5" and just about to be a sophomore. I hope that Matt Painter offers him a scholarship very soon.

Ronnie Johnson is quick, has a OK 3pt shot, will definitely have to work on it though, but he knows how to get to the hole, as well as find open teammates. Shot was inconsistent at times bout even though he is about to be a SR he still has tons of room for improvement.

Zach Irving was decent, didn't really stand out much to me in the games that I saw compared to last year. Maybe I did catch a good game though.

Sidenote: Wish we would have got Devin Davis... he seems like he really has a ton of passion for the game, he plays excellent d and makes shots that not a lot of people can make, he has terrific athleticism as well as understanding of the game, he seems focused when he plays and always has his mind in the game.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Dab