Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peegs is now actually retweeting things that say Painter is staying and he's usually the end all, be all of Indiana college/high school basketball even if I do think he can be a pretentious douche.
    I still don't understand why you think that about Peegs. I really like him and have never found him to be pretentious, a douche, or a blowhard. I follow all his stuff on the premium board and just don't get why you think of him that way.

He's a great source of information when it comes to all things Indiana basketball, but that's about all the praise I'll give him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    He's a great source of information when it comes to all things Indiana basketball, but that's about all the praise I'll give him.
    Maybe we should take this out of the Purdue thread.

Congrats on keeping your coach Boiler fans. That was big.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Congrats on keeping your coach Boiler fans. That was big.
    Thanks. It's been a crazy few days.

I still don't understand why Purdue is waiting so long for an official statement. You'd think they would be sending out texts immediately so who knows.

Either way, part of me is glad to see it happen, it'd be sort of anti-climactic as an IU fan to get all our nice new toys to play with the next couple years and not have anywhere there to go up against

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would refrain from calling young men 'nice new toys'

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I would refrain from calling young men 'nice new toys'

SHOW ME THE MONNNNEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Mood

What I'm wondering is how long Painter might have planned this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ambit-pays-off

March 30, 2011 4:46 PM
    by Eamonn Brennan

Bluff or not, Matt Painter's gambit pays off

If that was a bluff, it was one of the more impressive bluffs in coaching contract history.

After two days of gradually increased uncertainty about Matt Painter's future at Purdue, ESPN's own Andy Katz is reporting, per a source, that Painter will remain at the school.

In the big picture, this might seem like an expected outcome. But as anyone who followed this story throughout the week knows, Painter left little room for expectation. Early Wednesday, the coach's tenure at Purdue looked all but over. The reports of his decision to leave West Lafayette, Ind., for Columbia, Mo., for a seven-year, $14 million contract to become the newest head coach of the Missouri Tigers were leaking quickly and enthusiastically in St. Louis and elsewhere. The text messages were flying. The uncertainty was rampant.

Would Painter -- Purdue alma mater, Gene Keady disciple, and the best thing to happen to Purdue's title-starved fan base since Keady himself -- really make a seemingly lateral move to Missouri? Why?

The answer, basically, boiled down (sorry) to money. And not necessarily Painter's money, either.

Sure, Painter's base salary of $1.3 million was the eighth-highest in the Big Ten this season, a figure too low for a coach with three of the last four Big Ten Coach of the Year awards and five straight NCAA tournament appearances. The desire to boost that figure might have played into Painter's thinking, as it would any coach or athlete who demands to be paid commensurate to the market value of his success.

More than anything, though, Painter's decision to listen long and hard to Missouri's offer had to do with money outside his salary. Keady, the defining coach of Purdue hoops history, told the Indianapolis Star that Painter wanted to know that the Purdue athletics department was financially committed to national title aspirations, that he could have "the opportunity to win a national title with the backing of everyone," that "if an assistant coach needs a car, he can get it." Keady's comments created a perception that Purdue's athletics department frequently nickel-and-dimed the coach on minor issues, and it didn't take long for Missouri to see that weakness and attempt to exploit it.

That notion led to a hasty and rather poorly handled response from Purdue athletics, in which the school made clear it was "proactive" in offering Painter a larger contract and a greater overall financial commitment. (Unfortunately, Purdue also deemed it necessary to point blame at its fans in a letter to the John Purdue Club, a needless finger-pointing for which Nancy Cross, senior associate athletics director, later apologized.)

All this posturing gave Purdue fans a bad feeling, and for good reason: By Wednesday morning, Painter had taken the Boilermakers all the way to the brink of devastation. Purdue students even rallied on campus. For some reason -- Purdue fans are usually great! -- that rally garnered exactly 11 poor souls. But make no mistake: The pixelated wailing and gnashing of teeth stretched far and wide.

In the end, whatever Purdue offered was good enough. Someone ponied up the cash. Someone made sure Matt Painter's assistant coaches would always have the cars they needed. Someone made sure Painter knew the financial commitment that so attracted him to Missouri was also available at Purdue, and that he didn't even need to go house-hunting to find it.

Matt Painter will be back at Purdue for the foreseeable future. If you're a Purdue fan, today was a good news day.

Of course, the coach himself is the biggest winner in all of this. Not only did he get a chance to see what was out there -- a luxury most employees can only dream of -- he got to leverage that offer into a much better deal at his current job.

It's possible no one knows what Painter was thinking throughout all this, whether he ever really planned to leave Purdue or not. But it doesn't matter. Painter seemed liked he was ready.

In other words, remind me never to play poker with the head men's basketball coach at Purdue. It's hard to tell if this was a bluff. But if it was, it was masterfully executed, and Matt Painter just raked the pot.

Man, and just as I was getting excited about Scott Drew.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Burke. He really needs Hope to get things going, or he may very well be forced into retirement very soon. And don't get me started on Nancy Cross. What an incredibly stupid move on her part.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Man, and just as I was getting excited about Scott Drew.
    I can't tell if this was facetious or not, but you wouldn't have wanted Scott Drew anyway. Yeah, he's having success at Baylor, but he runs a really seedy program down there. It's only a matter of time before sanctions are brought down upon him and that program.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I can't tell if this was facetious or not, but you wouldn't have wanted Scott Drew anyway. Yeah, he's having success at Baylor, but he runs a really seedy program down there. It's only a matter of time before sanctions are brought down upon him and that program.
    Ya i think he paid Perry Jones and Isiah he also isnt a very good coach he is just good recruiter.

My main hope is that Painter used this entire event to make Purdue athletics better in the long-run, at least basketball-wise.

Mood

Moe_Szyslak is my favorite poster on the St. Louis Post Dispatch website

I'll dissent again: I wouldn't have minded him leaving by the end of this process

-I know this is how the free market works, but I think it is a bit unseemly for Painter to hold out over a raise from 1.3 Mil + bonuses (in super-low Cost-of-Living WL), when others at Purdue are losing jobs / having pay frozen.

-His decision to pull this now suggests that he thinks he has as much leverage now as he will for a while. This is immediately after a round of 32 exit. Not promising for the immediate future.

That said, now that his assistants are not going to be pulling up to recruits' houses in Geo Metros, I expect some improvement in recruiting. After this, the excuses have to stop.

Mood

I'll wager the out clause is different in Painter's new contract.

It was the out clause in his old contract that precipitated this imbroglio. Here's an article from July of 2010 where ESPN blogger Eamonn Brennan is fairly prescient.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ontract-clause

The Lafayette Journal & Courier has an interesting little scoop today. Upon review, JC writer Mike Carmin found that Purdue coach Matt Painter's contract contains a clause that would allow Painter to leave Purdue without paying a termination fee at the end of the 2010-11 season. That would allow Painter to break his new deal -- as of July 1, 2011 -- with six years remaining on the contract.

It's a mundane little contract detail until you consider the context. Painter has been remarkably successful in his first six years at Purdue, but much of that success has been tied to the particularly remarkable class of 2007. You know the bunch: Robbie Hummel, E'Twaun Moore, and JaJuan Johnson, Purdue's three returning senior stars for 2010-11. It's not difficult to see a coach -- not Painter, necessarily, but any average career-driven college hoops coach -- taking that talent to a (very possible) Final Four or national title and then deciding to leverage his newfound coaching stardom into money, fame, and a legacy program. It sure beats rebuilding.

For his part, Painter is saying all the right things -- chalking the clause up to a negotiating tactic -- even if he's not exactly committing to anything:

"You always do your best as an employee for an institution, but you have to take care of you and your family when it comes to negotiating the best contract for yourself," Painter said. "Once you get into negotiations, there's going to be a hard line drawn in the sand somewhere by both parties. When those things happen, sometimes their side can't move any more financially and then you're going to look at other areas to try to put yourself in the best possible situation to give yourself a little bit of freedom," Painter said. "Maybe if you don't have quite the guaranteed money as some of your peers in your league, there's going to have to be some other things that are advantageous to you and that was one example of that."

It's enough to make Purdue fans slightly nervous . . .

Boiler fans: Do you think this was some elaborate ploy to get a raise or do you think he actually had interest in Missouri? Also, are you worried that if he flirted with a Missouri job that was, at best, a lateral move, that he might bail for a better job in the future?

I wonder if it was about just trying to get the AD to open up and really commit to the program instead of cutting corners? That's what I like to believe. I have a hard time imagining a guy like Painter doing all this just for money.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I wonder if it was about just trying to get the AD to open up and really commit to the program instead of cutting corners? That's what I like to believe. I have a hard time imagining a guy like Painter doing all this just for money.
    Oh yeah I'm sure the commitment to the program was every bit as important as the money. Do you think if a better job came along that he would bolt or do you think that was his one flirtation?

Hopefully the AD learned something from this. I have to believe Matt wants to be here as long as he feels supported. Assuming things are better in that regard, I can't picture him leaving, but who knows.

This echoes my thoughts:

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/201...hful-ever-two/

If this were strictly a ploy, the stars really aligned for him that this particular job opened up exactly when his out was. I wouldn't say the case the Missouri writers made a couple days ago was bull****. He has worked the Missouri area and is on the record with being impressed with their facilities 4 years ago. It's certainly more in his wheelhouse than, for example, the open NC State and Oklahoma jobs.

I think the key is a "better" job. This wasn't, and any reasons why he may have had to make a lateral move will hopefully be addressed. I think for him to be offered a better job, he's gonna have to get some real results, i.e. Final Four. If he gets us there and then takes a job at a top-ten program, I certainly wouldn't begrudge him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    If this were strictly a ploy, the stars really aligned for him that this particular job opened up exactly when his out was. I wouldn't say the case the Missouri writers made a couple days ago was bull****. He has worked the Missouri area and is on the record with being impressed with their facilities 4 years ago. It's certainly more in his wheelhouse than, for example, the open NC State and Oklahoma jobs.

I think the key is a "better" job. This wasn't, and any reasons why he may have had to make a lateral move will hopefully be addressed. I think for him to be offered a better job, he's gonna have to get some real results, i.e. Final Four. If he gets us there and then takes a job at a top-ten program, I certainly wouldn't begrudge him.
    That reminds me...why would anyone want that NC State job? They are not even little brothers to UNC. They are complete afterthoughts in the state with UNC and Duke, yet they harbor these illusions of being a destination job.

They aren't a destination job but NC State is a hell of a stepping stone job for the very reasons you listed. If you compete with UNC and Duke, you can compete with anyone is the theory. I think a lot of coaches realize that and that's probably why NC State thinks they can get just about anyone. It puts you right in the middle of a lot of the hype in college basketball, granted if you sink, you're gonna sink bad, but if you do well, you should be able to score a destination job pretty easily IMO.

damn, indystar says 2.3 million guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    damn, indystar says 2.3 million guaranteed
    IOW, what Crean makes. It'd be a pretty huge insult if it were less.