Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 664

Thread: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

  1. #326
    Old school Dab or new Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Gosport
    Age
    41
    Posts
    878
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm confused what you're trying to say Kegboy.

    No way Cuonzo would have taken the Tennessee job? Why not?
    The thinking is that since Painter and Martin have the same agent, if Painter was going to take the Mizzou job then Martin would know this and be the logical choice to replace him at Purdue, and hence wouldn't take the Tennessee job.

    I don't know that I subscribe to that notion.

  2. #327
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Ah I see, but at the same time why pass up the pay day at Tennessee when you have the chance to take it.

    Also if you're Purdue, why don't you just pony up the bucks to keep Painter?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  3. #328
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,950

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm confused what you're trying to say Kegboy.

    No way Cuonzo would have taken the Tennessee job? Why not?
    Because he'd want the Purdue job.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  4. #329
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,950

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah I see, but at the same time why pass up the pay day at Tennessee when you have the chance to take it.

    Also if you're Purdue, why don't you just pony up the bucks to keep Painter?
    I'm sure we will.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  5. #330
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Seems like a ploy for Painter to get a pay increase.

    And he deserves one.

    I've got to think Purdue will pay.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. #331
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because he'd want the Purdue job.
    Right, I wasn't connecting the dots there.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  7. #332
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,023
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Yeah I hope we pay the money... Purdue will make less profit not paying the money and keeping him than paying the money and keeping him. Man just thinking back to the years of not making the tourney.. that was so depressing...

  8. #333
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,051
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Cuonzo Martin gets the Tennessee job.

  9. #334

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    If Purdue lets Painter get away, it would be one of the biggest blunders I can remember

  10. #335
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,887

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    ^Ill dissent a bit...never got out of Sweet 16 and his upcoming recruiting classes look mediocre. He developed some players well, but others not so much (Bade, Barlow, Byrd?)....

  11. #336
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,023
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^Ill dissent a bit...never got out of Sweet 16 and his upcoming recruiting classes look mediocre. He developed some players well, but others not so much (Bade, Barlow, Byrd?)....
    That is any coach though..Look at how many people come to UNC or Duke and never really develop until their sr year if then.... and most of them are 4 and 5 star players.

    I will say that I had higher hopes for Bade, but Barlow and Bryd were coming along okay... and their role wasn't really to take over games.

    Current recruiting class ok got what they needed 2 6'8" athletic guys, the next one is questionable but the one after that was looking very strong, 3-4 players in the top 100 depending on if they could get one more guy to commit.

    Never got past the sweet 16 yes but a lot of teams don't including big named teams KU lost in the first round in back to back years not to long ago I believe. It is the tournament anything can happen.

    He did get us a big ten championship and had us finish 2nd in a strong conference 3 times.

    The guy is good and deserves to be paid...

  12. #337
    Old school Dab or new Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Gosport
    Age
    41
    Posts
    878
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    It's more than Painter getting a raise. Apparently Painter feels that not enough resources are devoted to the program in general, e.g., assistant coaches' pay is below average, and there is frustration on his part that things are not going to change.

    Supposedly by tomorrow afternoon, we'll know someting, but at this point, it seems like the damage is done. Even if he stays, how can Painter effectively recruit if it's known that he's unhappy?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:


  14. #338
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,950

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Supposedly by tomorrow afternoon, we'll know someting, but at this point, it seems like the damage is done. Even if he stays, how can Painter effectively recruit if it's known that he's unhappy?
    Oh, I disagree. If they give him what he wants, this'll barely register on the radar going forward.

    First was the mention that Missouri spends more on it's basketball program than Purdue, which did seem strange. Now I read that Cuonzo's contract is bigger than Matt's. Sure, you can say different conferences, different dynamics, but damn, what's all that BTN money for?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  15. #339
    Old school Dab or new Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Gosport
    Age
    41
    Posts
    878
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Hot tweets from IndyStar writer Jeff Rabjohns this morning:

    ...Regarding Matt Painter, Purdue said this morning it “clearly demonstrated our commitment to him and our men’s basketball program” last night...

    ...Purdue has made significant progress in the financial resources it would make available to men's basketball, a source said this morning...

    http://twitter.com/jeffrabjohns

  16. #340
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    That first tweet makes Purdue sound like the girlfriend who finally put out to keep her boyfriend.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  18. #341
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,880

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Anyone else heard/read the John Mackey member letter? Geesh.... Telling your fan base you don't want to have to make a counter offer, and then put the blame on the fan base because of their booster club lack of recruiting/donating is down right dumb.

    If this is the type of people working behind the scenes, then no wonder why Matt is unhappy.

  19. #342
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,937

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else heard/read the John Mackey member letter? Geesh.... Telling your fan base you don't want to have to make a counter offer, and then put the blame on the fan base because of their booster club lack of recruiting/donating is down right dumb.

    If this is the type of people working behind the scenes, then no wonder why Matt is unhappy.
    I read that. If that were the IU Varsity Club that sent me that letter, I would be irate. Purdue has some serious athletic administration issues.

  20. #343
    Old school Dab or new Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Gosport
    Age
    41
    Posts
    878
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else heard/read the John Mackey member letter? Geesh.... Telling your fan base you don't want to have to make a counter offer, and then put the blame on the fan base because of their booster club lack of recruiting/donating is down right dumb.

    If this is the type of people working behind the scenes, then no wonder why Matt is unhappy.
    I read the email to the John Purdue Club members. I think the John Mackey letter went out to Syracuse alums.

  21. #344
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,880

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read the email to the John Purdue Club members. I think the John Mackey letter went out to Syracuse alums.
    Sorry I'm not an expert on Purdue history. That's where my Ball State education has some serious shortcomings.

    At first I had Purdue, but I changed it. Sue me.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

    Dab

  23. #345
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry I'm not an expert on Purdue history. That's where my Ball State education has some serious shortcomings.

    At first I had Purdue, but I changed it. Sue me.
    You could try just saying "my bad."

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:


  25. #346
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,880

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    It was in jest.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

    Dab

  27. #347
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was in jest.
    Sometimes it's hard to tell.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

    Dab

  29. #348
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,023
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Hopefully Painter decides to stay because if not this stuff that is leaking is going to really look bad when trying to recruit his replacement...

    Sounds like we really have some internal issues with-in our department that need to be solved.

  30. #349
    Old school Dab or new Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Gosport
    Age
    41
    Posts
    878
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully Painter decides to stay because if not this stuff that is leaking is going to really look bad when trying to recruit his replacement...

    Sounds like we really have some internal issues with-in our department that need to be solved.
    Agree there. This is make-or-break time. Not only does Painter need to stay, but he's going to need to make a statement to the effect that the changes he sought have been made and he's happy and here for the long-term. Otherwise, that really gives rival recruiters some legit ammunition.

    I wonder how much longer Burke is going to be around. Supposedly this was a point of contention last year when Painter's contract was extended, and the issue(s) have never really been resolved. We have lost some good assistants in that time, and will probably lose Lusk soon (if he doesn't end up being our new coach, that is.)

    So, Missouri's AD has given Painter a deadline of noon tomorrow. Painter is on his way back to Indiana, but he could just be coming to say goodbye to the team and get his affairs in order. Hope not.
    Last edited by Dab; 03-30-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: a few years ago => last year

  31. #350
    Old school Dab or new Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Gosport
    Age
    41
    Posts
    878
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Purdue University 2010-2011 Basketball Thread

    Latest word is now that there will a one-hour TV special tomorrow at noon where Painter will reveal his decision.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 436
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
  3. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
  5. IGNORE THIS THREAD: THE MOVIE
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •