Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brady: Colts Cheated

Default Brady: Colts Cheated

Yes it deserved a post of its own and now we'll hear endless coverage over this...

http://www.csnne.com/11/22/10/Brady-...52&feedID=3352

HOME | VIDEO | NEWSWIRE | SCHEDULE
    Brady: Colts tried to illegally simulate snap count
    Recommend
    Comment(1)
    Email
    Print
    Facebook
    RSS

Nov 22, 2010

By Danny Picard
    CSNNE.com

Tom Brady was quite upset at the end of Sunday's 31-28 win over the Indianapolis Colts, but at the time it was unclear as to why he was so mad.

Turns out, Brady was mad at the fact that the Colts' defensive line was simulating the snap count in an attempt to get the Patriots' offensive line to jump early, causing a penalty, and essentially stopping the clock.

The Pats never jumped, and ran the clock out with a kneel, but Brady said on his weekly WEEI Radio appearance Monday that he was just trying to "create some awareness" for the referees at the time.

"Well the defensive line, they can't simulate a snap count, at the end of the game, you know, when you're kneeling on the ball," said Brady. "And really, the only thing that could have stopped us was an offensive penalty to stop the clock. So, you know, I'm in the middle of my snap count, and the defensive tackle is going, 'Hut, hut' to try to get us to jump offsides. To me, the only thing that the ref should be listening for is that.

Mood

Default Re: Brady: Colts Cheated

That is so much worse than faking an injury to force a timeout.

Very stupid title for a thread.

He just wanted a penalty called for a play that is against the rules.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Meh?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nobody on the Patriots is EVER allowed to talk about another team breaking any rule. EVER. I mean NEVER EVER!
    Last edited by travmil; 11-22-2010 at 11:54 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Knowing the Patriots, I'm sure they have tape of this.....

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Brady mad at refs for not calling a penalty at the end

If you are going to call a penalty "cheating" then I guess the Colts got caught cheating 6 times as much as the Patriots on Sunday.

I still think that this is the most stupid thread title I have ever seen on here. If I had started a thread discussing penalities in the game and said "Colts out-cheat the Patriots six-fold" would that be a cool or accurate thread title? I don't think so. It would be trolling. Brady didn't ever call the Colts "cheaters" and there is no indication he was even mad at the Colts, he was yelling at the refs. In fact he could have singled out the player who was doing it, most likely, but Brady chose not to when asked. What would be gained in doing that, other than giving a non-story some legs?

It's not an rule without some importance. It has been called often before and it has almost cost teams GAMES before. An example of the Jets doing it vs. the Ravens and drawing three illegal procedure penalties to help close a 20-3 deficit to 20-13: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ick-jets_N.htm

also: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/sp...ll/19jets.html
    What Baltimore Coach Brian Billick accused the Jets of doing Sunday during their 20-13 loss to the Ravens is disconcerting. That is not an opinion. It is the term that appears on Page 87 of the National Football League rules book — under unsportsmanlike conduct, Rule 12, Section 3 — for the use of acts or words designed to confuse an offensive team at the snap.
    How about a thread title this is accurate: "Brady mad at refs for not calling a penalty at the end"

here is a neutral writers' take:

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sp...110105479.html

Unbelievably bush-league on the part of the Colts. No big deal, no big drama, just childish and pathetic. Kind of sad from an organisation that is so professional most of the time. Brady was rightly furious at the Colts pathetic tactics and, as everyone saw, barked at the referees on the final snap...The bizarre aspect to this is what the Colts were hoping to achieve? Say for example if the Patriots had committed a false-start penalty. It would have been 2nd and 15 and the Patriots would have re-grouped and then run the ball down the throats of the Colts D to run out the clock. There was absolutely nothing to gain with this pathetic ploy.

Before any Colts apologists start hammering away at the comments section as to how anything is fair game in the trenches in the NFL, no, it is not. This is a penalty, when the referees spot it, simulating the snap-count is unsportsmanlike conduct, and results in a 15 yard penalty.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-23-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I try to stay out of the football stuff on here for the most part, but this is a ridiculous thread title. It's a penalty, end of story.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I see why your name is not Football Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neutral?!? LOL. This dude runs a blog called "Boston Irish" which follows "The Red Sox, The Patriots, The Dublin Hurricanes, and baseball in Ireland." Yeah, I'm sure his opinion on this subject is 100% objective......

http://irishbaseballseason.blogspot.com/

http://www.blogger.com/profile/13021609342106260202

Let me go to Stampede Blue and see if I can find some "neutral" opinions on this subject there. The only reason you posted this is because the guy took some shots at the Colts organization. If you were really looking for some solid neutral sports information, the last place you would go to is a place called "Irish Central."

I do agree with your overall point though. The thread title is grossly misleading.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-23-2010 at 12:00 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I feel I wasted a few minutes of my life reading this thread expecting to see Brady accuse the Colts of cheating -

If you are going to call a penalty "cheating" then I guess the Colts got caught cheating 6 times as much as the Patriots on Sunday.

I still think that this is the most stupid thread title I have ever seen on here. If I had started a thread discussing penalities in the game and said "Colts out-cheat the Patriots six-fold" would that be a cool or accurate thread title? I don't think so. It would be trolling. Brady didn't ever call the Colts "cheaters" and there is no indication he was even mad at the Colts, he was yelling at the refs. In fact he could have singled out the player who was doing it, most likely, but Brady chose not to when asked. What would be gained in doing that, other than giving a non-story some legs?

It's not an rule without some importance. It has been called often before and it has almost cost teams GAMES before. An example of the Jets doing it vs. the Ravens and drawing three illegal procedure penalties to help close a 20-3 deficit to 20-13: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ick-jets_N.htm

also: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/sp...ll/19jets.html

How about a thread title this is accurate: "Brady mad at refs for not calling a penalty at the end"

here is a neutral writers' take:

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sp...110105479.html

I just reported it as how the title was stated when I got the article. And he pretty much is implying they cheated when he was talking about the illegal snap count. I mean its illegal so technically it is cheating.

I just didn't see his point seeing as how the game was over so why does it matter now? If they had lost because of it I'd see his point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Was it a silly thread title? Sure.

This thread, however, proves how this place has gone from an online community that encourages sports talk to a place where people jump down your throat for anything and everything. It is not just this thread, but this is the latest example that I have seen.

What is more ironic is that it is not just members who are acting this way, but now moderators and administrators.

I loved PD when I first found it because I felt like all point of views were encouraged. It is a shame this is no longer the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Neutral?!? LOL. This dude runs a blog called "Boston Irish" which follows "The Red Sox, The Patriots, The Dublin Hurricanes, and baseball in Ireland." Yeah, I'm sure his opinion on this subject is 100% objective......

I do agree with your overall point though. The thread title is grossly misleading.
    Sorry, I had never heard of the site before my google search, and "Irish Central" is based out of New York City. The main stories on the front page of the sports section are features on the Irish golfer Graeme McDowell, Manchester United, and Notre Dame to play a game in Dublin so the site anyway seems to have NOTHING to do with Boston sports. Maybe the writer freelances elsewhere- I didn't think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan
    I just reported it as how the title was stated when I got the article. And he pretty much is implying they cheated when he was talking about the illegal snap count. I mean its illegal so technically it is cheating.

I just didn't see his point seeing as how the game was over so why does it matter now? If they had lost because of it I'd see his point.
    Well, pretty much and technically it was not over, and the clock would have been stopped if the Patriots had moved and a penalty had been called on them and not on the Colts (i.e. had the Colts succeeded in what they were TRYING to do). That would have let them preserve their 2 timeouts and they could have forced extra snaps (leading to a small but real chance of a fumble) and maybe even a punt, I'd have to look at the tape to know for sure.

Just forcing extra snaps can be significant. Teams have lost due to a fumbled exchange while trying to run out the clock. One was the most famous play in the HISTORY of Tennessee football and it allowed them the chance to win a national championship. That's why as the apparently losing team, you still use ALL of your timeouts and you make them kneel down, just in case they fumble the exchange.

Leading #1 Tennessee 24-21 with 1:43 to play, all the Razorbacks needed to do was run 3 plays and run out the clock. Their QB Clint Stoerner fumbled the snap on 2nd down, Tennessee recovered, went on to score and preserve their 1998 national championship season with 28-24 victory. Some call it luck. Some like destiny. Some say Stoerner was careless. Others say UT defenders Billy Ratliff and Darwin Walker got such a push that they drove the center's leg into Stoerner and created disaster. Either way, Stoerner lost his balance off the snap and reached down to try and brace himself. And he left the ball behind.

On this night, Arkansas was introducing themselves to The Clint Stoerner Face. It's that look of nothingness. When you were so sure you had the game won, beyond any shadow of a doubt, and you were in massive celebration mode...and then somehow, inexplicably, it was all taken away from you in rapid, heartbreaking fashion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...nship-part-vii
    http://southeasternsportsblog.blogsp...art-seven.html
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-23-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    What is more ironic is that it is not just members who are acting this way, but now moderators and administrators.

I loved PD when I first found it because I felt like all point of views were encouraged. It is a shame this is no longer the case.
    I suppose this is directed at me. All points of view are encouraged. I just didn't think the thread title matched the article's content. (a pet peeve of mine) That is my point of view. Anyone else is encouraged to offer a different point of view.

I thought that moderators frequently changed thread titles that they consider misleading? Your (our) opinion seems to be widely shared.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-23-2010 at 02:53 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I've always wondered why this isn't something that isn't just "part of the game." First, how are the refs supposed to be able to catch this with any consistency? And if the O can't tell the difference between their actual snap count and a D lineman attempting to trick them. . . why isn't that on them?

Is there a good football reason for this rule, other than the NFL's tendency to favor offenses? I feel the same way about the "the D-lineman caused the O-lineman to jump offsides" rule. Is there a good reason for them, or are they in place because teams would score much fewer points w/o them?

btw, I'm just talking in general. I don't agree w/ the Colts doing it when it's against the rules and I agree that the thread title is misleading. Let's not go down that road.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Brady was right-- Colts cheater caught red-handed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-294225

Mood

Personally I'll take a 15 yard "cheating" penalty over Spy Gate...call me a homer, I don't really care.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Flibertygibits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Was it a silly thread title? Sure.

This thread, however, proves how this place has gone from an online community that encourages sports talk to a place where people jump down your throat for anything and everything. It is not just this thread, but this is the latest example that I have seen.

All I have to say to this is:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Flibertygibits View Post
    Personally I'll take a 15 yard "cheating" penalty over Spy Gate...call me a homer, I don't really care.
    Well, there's also the lack of a $500k fine that sets the two apart. Other than that though the two situations are completely identical!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

I've never understood why simulating the count is a penalty. Should be allowed 100%.

You know what I find incredibly cheesy is when a person has to repost something but act like its the first time they posted something to make a point.

Seriously, I don't know why you have to defend a pathetic player like spikes and act like coach belichick hasn't defined cheating in the modern era of football.

Why don't you post about how we use to pipe noise into our stadium.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-18-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Really, LOL
    I know that there are only 2 reasons why a phd chooses to do teaching or industry.

Its not because they are bright in either. Show me what you have published on any of those drugs listed on the NFL banned list.

I am not fooled by labels.