Thread: I want to talk about Stephen Jackson

Default I want to talk about Stephen Jackson

What is everyone's opinion on him? I want to know everyone's expectations a) best-case scenario and b) worst-case scenario. Just try to avoid using exaggeration on either a) or b) so after several people post, we can all get a good feel for what to truly expect this season out of Jackson.

Default Re: I want to talk about Stephen Jackson

I want to talk about your avatar.

I really expect him to contribute A LOT to the team, so much that Artest's scoring will go down a few points because we don't need Artest to carry so much of the offensive load. I also expect him to take loads of pressure off JO.

Best case sceneario is defintley a 20+PPG , and another All-Star along with JO and Ron.

Worst case is that he doesn't do much more than Reggie, OR Reggie starts over him the whole season.

a) best-case scenario

He fills his role, scoring when he's needed/wanted to.

b) worst-case scenario.

He gets injured and/or becomes streaky ala Ron Mercer.

I'm expecting a consistent player; one that will play the same night in and night out, like Jeff Foster.

RA231

Best case scenario- Helps the defense alot, spreads the defense with his 3 point shot, which opens up room for JO down low and gets about 15-17 points a game.

Worst case scenario-Not much more effective than Reggie

Oh god, MSA, why'd you have to throw Mercer's name out there. Now I'm worried.

Best case scenario, his play forces Rick to put him in the starting lineup. This would not only involve him shooting much better from the perimeter than he has so far in his career, but also JB stepping up and becoming solid-6th man material. If not, Sax's offense will be too important coming off the bench.

Worst case scenario, MSA said it, he's Ron Mercer, a streaky scorer with no outside game. Fred steps up his game and takes the minutes behind Reggie, and JB similarly takes the minutes behind Ron, and Sax becomes Austin Croshere II, languishing on the bench while we ***** about his contract for the next 6 years.

As for what will happen, hell if I know. He's never made much of an impression on me, one way or another. That said, I expect Rick will bring him along slowly. Provided an injury free roster, he'll come off the bench for sure, and not get Al's 30 minutes per, because Rick will want to evaluate Fred, JB, and Austin, as well. He'll slowly start to take minutes away from Fred at the 2 and JB at the 3 ( because JB will be taking minutes away from Austin at the 4, of course. )

He'll hopefully be working with Chuck alot on his shot, and become more consistent as time goes on. He'll undoubtedly have some big games, where a favorable matchup makes him look great, and probably some stretches where he's inconsistent, loses some minutes, and gets frustrated.

I'm one of the few who actually believes the line that Reggie should be starting because of his ability to stretch the floor, so unless Stephen comes in and really impresses from outside, I think it's gonna stay that way. Hopefully his play will cause a lot of *****ing on here about Reggie starting a head of him, but I fully expect that's the way it's gonna be, all year long.

I look at this season as a trial year for him. He just needs to get in here, learn the system, fit in the best he can, and take his opportunities when they come to him. I don't think we should expect numbers better than Al's, and even that may take a while.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

"I'm one of the few who actually believes the line that Reggie should be starting because of his ability to stretch the floor, so unless Stephen comes in and really impresses from outside, I think it's gonna stay that way. Hopefully his play will cause a lot of *****ing on here about Reggie starting a head of him, but I fully expect that's the way it's gonna be, all year long. "

I agree with most of your post, that part especially.

Banned

Best case: I think SJ can be a 18 point a game guy...play good D, run the floor for Tins, hit the open shot and provide some much needed maturity and team first attitude.

Worst case: He suffers a major injury.

Burt_Reincarnated

I think Ron will have a better FG% Tins will shoot the 3 better and SJ will lead the team in TOs per mins, he can still be very good for the club even if all the above becomes true. But I think y'all got your expectations a bit high. 18ppg? no way, especially coming off the bench with the likes of bender freddie and cro. 9ppg max

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Burt_Reincarnated
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I think y'all got your expectations a bit high. 18ppg? no way, especially coming off the bench with the likes of bender freddie and cro. 9ppg max
    Hence the words "Best Case".

Besides, I don't think SJ will be coming off the bench. Reggie will be. Reggie will be much more effective coming off the bench...getting to pick on other teams younger, less experienced players.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best case scenario: he continues to mature and develop, keeps the turnovers in check, accepts being the second or third option in the offense, is a threat to score or get an assist when he has the ball, develops a consistent 16-21 foot jumper so he doesn't shoot too many threes and plays hard on defense.

Worst case scenaro: he continues to be turnover prone, his minutes get cut, he pouts, when he gets another chance he tries too hard on offense and not hard enough on defense.

At least we've got Rick and not Zeke - he could have been an absolute disaster - mentally - under Isiah's enabling approach.

I don't think he'll be measured by stats, we all know he can put up nice numbers but its more important to see what he can do as the third option on a very, very good team. Although SA won a championship and he made valuable contriubtions, I wouldn't say he was one of thier first four or five options, so he's still got a lot to prove.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

J-Wont

Best Case: Stephen J's explosive offense, clutch shooting, tough D and overall game will carry the Pacers over the top and bring them an NBA championship.

Worst Case: (Not counting injuries/death/prison sentense etc.) Jackson's a ballhog, which causes team turmoil, which ruins team chemistry and the Pacers completely collapse a la 2003.

Most Likely Case: Jackson overall game equals Rip's overall game, and the Pacers/Pistons rivalry becomes even more intense. Pacers eliminate the Pistons in 7 games on their way to winning their first NBA championship.

sweabs

I've seen a couple Stephen Jackson games recently when he played the Raptors (they have been showing their entire season from start to finish).

Leave the guy open for the 3 and that's dangerous.

One thing that I noticed is his dribbling skills don't seem to be outstanding...but he is also a bigger guy...and can rebound which is nice to see.

The ball-hog scenario doesn't worry me...when he was with the Spurs and had the good supporting cast he was far from a ball hog from what I remember.

I think between Carlisle, Brown, and O'Neil, we should be able to keep the "ball-hogishness" in check.

I'll bet he passes more than Al.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm more concerned about his turnover propensity than whether or not he becomes a ballhog. Had we acquired Paul Pierce, then I'd be worried about having a ballhog.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by J-Wont
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most Likely Case: Jackson overall game equals Rip's overall game, and the Pacers/Pistons rivalry becomes even more intense. Pacers eliminate the Pistons in 7 games on their way to winning their first NBA championship.
    Its funny that you characterize that as the "most likely" case.