Thread: Agree or disagree....

Default Agree or disagree....

If it were possible salary cap. wise (it is not btw) I would trade Jon Bender straight up for Troy Murphy.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Agree or disagree....

I have a slightly off-topic question, but it's one I was wondering about. I'm sure all you Pacers fans know this but I don't.

Why did Bender get such a big contract? How many minutes was he playing when they gave it to him, and how many points was he averaging? Were there signs that he would get anything near that on the open market (it was an extension, right)?

I don't think so. Bender's shot-blocking, athleticism and ability to play multiple positions and multiple areas of the court make him a better fit with this team. Murphy wouldn't offer anything we didn't already have with Harrington (less, in my opinion), and we traded him.

Keeping with the same team, if the trade was for Dunleavy I might do it. He'd be a better fit with the team we have now.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peck, to answer your question.....Yes, troy Murhphy is a banger and we can't wait forever on Bender, he just may not ever be that great. Right now, Murphy is better than Bender.

Unstandable, Bender got a contract extension on October 31, 2002 along with Ron Artest. Jeff Foster got an extension two days prior on October 29. Giving Artest a contract extension has turned out to be a brilliant move, but why Foster and Bender got one when Jermaine, Reggie, and Brad were upcoming free agents has always puzzled me.

That is one of my large complaints about not keeping Brad Miller. We gave extensions to 2 players that at that point had proven nothing(Bender has still proven nothing, Foster is as good as Foster will get).

I hate to bring the Brad thing up, but it was asked if Bender got an extenstion and when, so I was elaborating on that.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I Murphy wouldn't offer anything we didn't already have with Harrington (less, in my opinion), and we traded him.
    He'd offer you a good player. One who averaged a double-double two seasons ago. He'd probably be your starting center and Foster could return to being the hustle guy off the bench.

If I'm a Pacers fan I'd make that trade before Chris Mullin could realize what an idiot he was.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by unstandable
    I have a slightly off-topic question, but it's one I was wondering about. I'm sure all you Pacers fans know this but I don't.

Why did Bender get such a big contract? How many minutes was he playing when they gave it to him, and how many points was he averaging? Were there signs that he would get anything near that on the open market (it was an extension, right)?
    Someone else can probably give you the stats, but the basic answer is that Donnie Walsh always takes care of his own, sometimes to a fault. Rarely does a player coming off his rookie contract reach restricted free agent status here -- and most often that's because he's given a sizable extention (in years and/or $) the assumes great things for him with this team. Some might argue that we chronically overspend, perhaps because of being in a small market: Rose, Croshere, Bender, perhaps Foster. In hindsight, the deals given Harrington and Artest seem more than reasonable, showing that Walsh's plan sometimes works. As for JB in particular, he had shown flashes of great ability in games, and was said to be the best player in practice for years, but between injuries, lack of confidence and lack of opportunities, he was rewarded for his POTENTIAL.

"I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I wonder if one thing the NBA will consider in the next CBA is extending the length of rookie contracts. Given all the players that enter the league straight from high school, lots of times there are still more questions than answers by the time a team has to decide whether to re-sign them. It happened for JO and Bender, and the same thing will probably happen with Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, and Kwame Brown. Their teams will have to pay out a lot of money based mainly on potential. When a player skips college, their first four years in the league basically just make up for that, but then their rookie deal ends and the team that tutored the player has to decide whether to give them lots of money when the player is as unproven and risky as any typical rookie who spent four-years in college.
    [edit=237=1093556202][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by unstandable
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I wonder if one thing the NBA will consider in the next CBA is extending the length of rookie contracts. Given all the players that enter the league straight from high school, lots of times there are still more questions than answers by the time a team has to decide whether to re-sign them. It happened for JO and Bender, and the same thing will probably happen with Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, and Kwame Brown. Their teams will have to pay out a lot of money based mainly on potential. When a player skips college, their first four years in the league basically just make up for that, but then their rookie deal ends and the team that tutored the player has to decide whether to give them lots of money when the player is as unproven and risky as any typical rookie who spent four-years in college.
    I asked David Stern how he felt about lengthening rookie contracts as an alternative to age-limits. He cut me off and told me to stop giving away his game plan for the CBA negotiations.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I would not trade The Difference for Helen of Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    I would not trade The Difference for Helen of Troy.
    Considering she's been dead over 3000 years I think I'll pass myself.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Banned

Ask me again at the trade deadline. I want to see Bender play the first half of this season first.

As we all know, this is really his first time getting a chance to play significant minutes every night. If he can stay healthy the impressive stats will follow.....

Isn't Troy Murphy one of the few players in the league that played less games than Jon Bender last year?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I've started my car, can someone get me directions to Bender's house?

We need someone on the westside to get to the aiport ASAP & get tickets on the first plane to California.

Hurry !!!!!!!!