Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Murphy on the Trade Block: ESPN Insider

Default Re: Murphy on the Trade Block: ESPN Insider

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's not go crazy here, even though I never like Troy I wouldn't say that he is not a winner or that he is a loser, is not his fault that he is been playing for so many bad teams.

Posey is a winner because he was lucky enough to play with Shaq, Dwade,KG,Pierce and Ray Allen, KG got to lose a lot of games
    In Minnesotta and nobody ever call him a loser.
    Well, it kind of is his fault if he is playing 35 mpg. I mean he is part of why they are bad, and from what I have seen with the Pacers, he was the biggest reason (along with the coach who played him so much) why they were bad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Well, it kind of is his fault if he is playing 35 mpg. I mean he is part of why they are bad, and from what I have seen with the Pacers, he was the biggest reason (along with the coach who played him so much) why they were bad.
    I agree but I don't think that we can compare the two guys, one is been lucky to be playing in winning teams and the other one is been unlucky to be with bad teams.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd rather have Posey at the 4 than Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I'd rather have Posey at the 4 than Murphy.
    That has become crystal clear to me as well...for most matchups. Not all, but most.

Posey is not going to be bullied in the paint and give up easy layups.

I recognize Posey's weaknesses and he is very flawed. However, he doesn't hurt you as bad. Murphy helps you win 10 or 20% of the time. I think Posey helps you win maybe 50% of the time. He also takes timely threes rather than constant threes.

Trading for Murphy was a bad decision for the Nets, it was obvious from the beginning. I doubt they're already considering this seriously... even though they should.

I don't like the idea of having Avery making personnel decisions. A coach overseeing personnel moves generally doesn't work, especially for rebuilding franchises. Proky should "promote" Billy King and hire someone to actually rule over Avery. Otherwise this kind of blunder will happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    The whole reason Troy was acquired by Jersey in the first place was for trading him and his expiring contract for a better player this season.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    NJ had the cap space, knew Troy was expiring and knew he would give them quality minutes while Favors develops. It's easier to package a player with a larger contract in a deal for someone like Melo, rather than gutting your roster to get close to matching up salaries.
    If they hadn't acquired Murphy, they wouldn't need to gutter their roster to acquire a player like Melo exactly because they wouldn't need to match up salaries (just like they didn't need to matchup salaries to trade for Murphy).

Instead of keeping the cap space to facilitate a potential mid-season trade (Melo or whoever), Avery decided to spend it on Murphy because as a coach he wanted another veteran in the team. Now he's happy with the rotation, so no need for Murphy any more.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Let's not go crazy here, even though I never like Troy I wouldn't say that he is not a winner or that he is a loser, is not his fault that he is been playing for so many bad teams.

Posey is a winner because he was lucky enough to play with Shaq, Dwade,KG,Pierce and Ray Allen, KG got to lose a lot of games
    In Minnesotta and nobody ever call him a loser.
    It would be interesting to see Troy play on a good team. He really never has done that.

But the comparison to KG is funny. Troy isn't going to be the key piece on a championship team. At best, he might give 10-15 minutes of perimeter shooting as a backup on a contender. Nothing more though.

If he played better defense...like Posey has done in his career, he could be a guy who contributed in a minor way like Posey in terms of hitting a small number of key shots...but Troy is a terrible defender for a PF. As a result, he cannot be on the floor without launching a large number of threes....because otherwise his plus/minus would lead the league in the wrong direction. It's bad nonetheless. This is probably the main reason the Nets have him glued to the bench. They apparently are trying to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It would be interesting to see Troy play on a good team. He really never has done that.
    In part because it's hard to put a good team out on the floor when you're playing your backup PF over 10mil/year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Just so everyone knows, per the CBA, there's no way we can get Murphy back this season unless he's waived by whatever team he's on (doubtful scenario).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Just so everyone knows, per the CBA, there's no way we can get Murphy back this season unless he's waived by whatever team he's on (doubtful scenario).
    Hmm, that's interesting. Did not know that.

For you older dudes, how did we get Mark Jackson back in 96-97? Was he waived by Denver, or did we initiate a trade?

For you older dudes, how did we get Mark Jackson back in 96-97? Was he waived by Denver, or did we initiate a trade?
    Previous CBA.

But I'm not an older dude.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Previous CBA.

But I'm not an older dude.
    So we did trade back for him? That's cool. I know we traded him originally for Jalen.

Now that I've done research, Wikipedia shows that we traded Vincent Askew and Eddie Johnson at the deadline to bring him back. So, when all was said in done, we received Jax and Jalen, and only gave up Askew, E.J, and a few 2nd rounders.

Not bad.

I forget.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I think that rule about teams not reacquiring players traded already existed in the previous CBA.

Jackson was traded pre-draft, in June, and a NBA season goes from July 1 to June 30. So, you can trade a player in the draft day and get him back via trade a month later. The rule only applies within the season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post: