http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

According to The Star-Ledger, power forward Troy Murphy will "probably" be traded this season. Murphy lost his starting spot to Kris Humphries three games ago.

Murphy was asked on Thursday if he wanted to be traded, but he didn't answer the question.

"I'm just trying to get better every day," he said. "Just trying to improve every single day. Trying to improve, get better and better, (and) be a better player. Every day."

Derrick Favors, the No. 3 pick in the June draft, will probably start at some point during the season, if he's not included in a trade for Carmelo Anthony. That is another reason why Murphy and his $11.9 million expiring contract could be dealt.

According to the newspaper, head coach Avery Johnson has spoken twice to Murphy about the power forwards role with the team.

"It's a game-by-game situation," Johnson said. "He worked hard in the weight room today, and we'll just keep it going day-to-day, game-by-game. We're going to communicate as much as we need to, and that's pretty much where we are right there."

Murphy's agent, Dan Fegan, who also represents Humphries, is confident there will be a positive ending for the situation with the Nets.

"Throughout his career, Troy has proven himself to be one of the very best 3-point shooting big men and one of the best rebounders. He still is," Fegan told the New York Post. "I have great respect for both Avery and Billy (GM King) and I am confident everything will work out."

-- Nick Borges

ESPN's John Hollinger
Favors makes Murphy expendable

"I thought [the Nets moving Murphy] would be the plan from Day 1. Humprhies is irrelevant to the discussion, but Favors' development should make it easy to move Murphy."