Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

  1. #1

    Default What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    I know it's very early to be asking this but I haven't been able to watch a game with Collison playing and I am wondering what you guys think of his play so far? He has put up solid stats but that doesn't really tell the story. I'm curious to know what you guys saw from him in his 8 games.

  2. #2
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    I miss Darren.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I miss Darren.
    ya im getting tired of the TJ ISO myself.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,973

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    The good: Exciting offensive player. Great shooter. Great at driving and converting. Good play maker. Good leadership skills. Smart guy.

    The bad: Smallish..and that's not changing. Not good defense (so far). Possibly not better than AJ Price.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    That he is better than TJ

  9. #6
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The good: Exciting offensive player. Great shooter. Great at driving and converting. Good play maker. Good leadership skills. Smart guy.

    The bad: Smallish..and that's not changing. Not good defense (so far). Possibly not better than AJ Price.
    You had me 100% until your last sentence. He's better than Price

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,373

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Ya lol... Collison > TJ > AJ at this point.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  12. #8
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,973

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You had me 100% until your last sentence. He's better than Price
    You are probably right. I have always preferred bigger PG's. I hope Collison develops into a Tony Parker...

  13. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are probably right. I have always preferred bigger PG's. I hope Collison develops into a Tony Parker...
    I like big point guard also. However I don't see that Price really plays any bigger than Collison

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

    d_c

  15. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Lights-out, elite-level shooter. Hard-nosed player with a winning mentality. Much better point guard skills than the system shows. Lightning-quick and not as small as some believe.

    He's pretty much the exact same player as he was starting for New Orleans, thus my thoughts are exactly what they were when we acquired him back in August.

  16. #11
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    If he steps up on defense, I'll love him. Already like him a lot.

  17. #12

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    I think hes great offensively. We could have used that tonight.

  18. #13
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,380
    Mood

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    A ton of potential ( I know, I used the P word), great poise for his experience level, high energy, smart player. A guy you love to have on your team and would hate to face if he were on another team. TJ Ford speed with better decision making and much better shooting ability.

  19. #14
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    The same as I did last year.

    Except I think O'Brien pushes for pressure from the PG's so much that he looks completely different on defense than he did last year. He was much better because he focused much more on just staying in front of his man. I think O'Brien focuses on pressure defense from the PG position. I truly think that's why AJ Price doesn't play, he can't pressure the way TJ and Collison can because he doesn't have their elite speed.

    I think his defense will improve immensely after Jim O'Brien is gone.

  20. #15

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The same as I did last year.

    Except I think O'Brien pushes for pressure from the PG's so much that he looks completely different on defense than he did last year. He was much better because he focused much more on just staying in front of his man. I think O'Brien focuses on pressure defense from the PG position. I truly think that's why AJ Price doesn't play, he can't pressure the way TJ and Collison can because he doesn't have their elite speed.

    I think his defense will improve immensely after Jim O'Brien is gone.
    LOL, that's not why Price doesn't play. TJ's a vet, and Collison's been declared PG of the future. That's why Price doesn't play.

    The good: Energetic, good scorer, learns from his mistakes I think.
    The Bad: Terrible defensively, raw (that'll change)

    obviously, no I don't think he's better than Price..but I've said before, I value certain things in a PG more than others do and I don't place other things at a high value (athleticism..is probably a big one) for a PG...that being said, I like Collison a lot. And as I've been saying, as much as I've liked watching Price the past couple of games..I'd prefer to not watch TJ for 35+ so I can't wait for Darren to come back. :P
    Last edited by Sookie; 11-21-2010 at 03:16 AM.

  21. #16
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,656

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    I think it's pretty clear in every way that Collison is better than Price and Ford (Sorry Sookie).

    He's an elite ball handler, he can get wherever he wants on the court, and he's a pretty good finisher for a guy his size.

    He changes gears incredibly quickly as well.

    D needs a ton of work right now, but you could say that about a lot of smallish PGs when they first showed up that eventually figured out how to use their quickness to minimize their size differences.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  22. #17
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL, that's not why Price doesn't play. TJ's a vet, and Collison's been declared PG of the future. That's why Price doesn't play.
    I know it's hard for you to believe that AJ may not be playing because of any fault of his own, but it certainly looks to be that way. When Collison isn't pressuring the ball his playing time suffers. Even if his pressure causes defensive breakdowns and problems for us, as long as he's doing it, he stays on the court.

    I think your severe bias for Price really makes it hard for you to see this situation clearly. It's always someone else's fault but Price. Just as your assumption that Collison was given the starting nod without any opportunity for any other outcome from day 1. You don't know that just as much as I don't know that it isn't the case either, but it doesn't stop you from claiming it as a fact.

    I'm not saying I agree with O'Brien on how his PG's should defend, or his use of them, but it doesn't change what I'm seeing.

  23. #18

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it's hard for you to believe that AJ may not be playing because of any fault of his own, but it certainly looks to be that way. When Collison isn't pressuring the ball his playing time suffers. Even if his pressure causes defensive breakdowns and problems for us, as long as he's doing it, he stays on the court.

    I think your severe bias for Price really makes it hard for you to see this situation clearly. It's always someone else's fault but Price. Just as your assumption that Collison was given the starting nod without any opportunity for any other outcome from day 1. You don't know that just as much as I don't know that it isn't the case either, but it doesn't stop you from claiming it as a fact.

    I'm not saying I agree with O'Brien on how his PG's should defend, or his use of them, but it doesn't change what I'm seeing.
    I disagree, and "my extreme bias" is not the reason, but I'll leave it at that.

    Do I have a bias. Yup. I prefer the "few mistakes, intelligent, all around game" PGs...

    I could break down why I think Price and Collison are equal to each other, but ..I don't think this is the place.

    Continuing with this thread though, despite how bad Darren is defensively..I think he has the potential to be fantastic defensively. And I hope that can be brought out of him.
    Last edited by Sookie; 11-21-2010 at 04:56 AM.

  24. #19
    Member Kamiyohk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    HongKong
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Point guard future

    but poor defense and limited body

  25. #20
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    I just love having a point guard that consistently has a positive impact on the game. Other than players that are negative for the team such as TJ or JT, or point guards that are null on the impact of winning such as Earl Watson and Travis Diener (null meaning that the point guard doesn't hurt us, but doesn't help us.)

    Now we have Darren, and if we had him in a good system and getting starters minutes (closing out games means five plus more minutes) he'd be averaging at least somewhere around 18 and 7. Maybe lower assist numbers, I'm not sure, but his scoring would probably be over 18 points per game.

    Darren is a very good player, and he's very talented. He just has a natural feel for the game.

  26. #21

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    He is alot like TJ. I think TJ is a better defender, and he doesn't deserve the hate he gets. DC is much better at running the offense and making the right decisions. I think both of these guys would considered much better players with a different coach/offense.

    I wish we could have seen DC to end that Orlando game. That's where his value comes into play. A steady hand in winning time.

  27. #22
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,586

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    While his defensive has been less than desirable, there's no question the positive impact he has.

    He's a great shooter. He makes plays when you need them. He makes the defense worry about someone other than Granger and Roy. And for a 22 year old, seems to have a great head on his shoulders and be a high quality leader.

    Simply put, I miss Darren as well
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  28. #23
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is alot like TJ. ... DC is much better at running the offense and making the right decisions.
    So what you're saying is he'a a lot like TJ, except when he's nothing like TJ.

  29. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    A much better shooter than I expected.
    Otherwise, what I expected.
    Looks like a definite leader type down the road.
    +

  30. #25

    Default Re: What are your thoughts on Darren Collison so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what you're saying is he'a a lot like TJ, except when he's nothing like TJ.
    Exactly..they may have similar styles..(Ball dominant, speedy, reluctant -although Collison can shoot 3s- to shoot from the perimeter..)

    But Collison doesn't make poor decision after poor decision with the basketball..Typically, if he does something stupid once..he doesn't do it again.

    So lets stop insulting Darren with that one.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM
  2. What If: The Indiana Pacers Acquire Darren Collison
    By The Lone Granger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 01:57 PM
  3. IndyStar: Collison Plans to Follow in Miller's Footsteps
    By focused444 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
  4. Darren Collison: Good Sport, Bad Singer
    By Psyren in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 05:36 PM
  5. Darren Collison says he might be next on trading block
    By Pacersalltheway10 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •