Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Posey

Default James Posey

I know a lot of people have been screaming get rid of Posey but I ask the question....why? In my opinion he has proven himself to be more then worthy to play. Obviously he isn't the greatest defensive player but offensively he comes around and hits shots right when we need them. Last night against the Clippers he went 4-7 from 3 point land and had 12 points. That isn't a lot of points but if you watched the game you would know that he made those shots when we needed them. He always makes them to try to bring us out of a shooting slump or makes them to put the game out of reach. He is a proven veteran who has won championships so I think trading Posey would be a awful move I really hope we keep him around.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to k_lewis93 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: James Posey

It won't break my heart if he does eventually get traded, but I agree, I think he's shown that he can be a solid roleplayer.

Banned

If the next few games you are going to find out why he doesn't need to play more than 15min, he is a decent player to come off the bench when he is use the right way, the issue I have is that Jim is using him way too much and taking playing time from Hans and Josh because they can't shoot the three.

By the way I don't ever want to see Posey playing center ever again.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He reminds me of what Sam Perkins brought to this team. He can hit the three...at times, but doesn't really offer too much outside of that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He reminds me of what Sam Perkins brought to this team. He can hit the three...at times, but doesn't really offer too much outside of that.
    He brings some pretty awesome knee socks to the team.

I think his team defense his excellent - he seems to be always in the right place, even if his quickness is lacking.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nerveghost For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    If the next few games you are going to find out why he doesn't need to play more than 15min, he is a decent player to come off the bench when he is use the right way, the issue I have is that Jim is using him way too much and taking playing time from Hans and Josh because they can't shoot the three.

By the way I don't ever want to see Posey playing center ever again.

He's only playing 19 minutes per game. You saying that extra 2 minutes each would benefit Josh and Tyler, or our team THAT much that it would make a difference?

Grown Man Ball

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by k_lewis93 View Post
    He is a proven veteran who has won championships so I think trading Posey would be a awful move I really hope we keep him around.
    This is all we've heard since he's been here - ok, he's got 2 rings, we get it. That in itself will do nothing for us at this point.

However, he has been hitting his shots lately and making some great hustle plays on defense and for loose balls. I also like that he is big enough to help stop guys who are posting up or backing down on him. The problem is that any athletic player he tries to guard will typically abuse him. Each and every night its hard to tell where to play him and what matchup will best suit him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's decent and a good player to have on your team, but I don't think he should be playing a huge role here because of the young talent.

The fact that Posey is not a PF and gets into the rotation is what really confuses me.

Although last night we saw a lot more of him at SF and even some SG.

JOB thought the trade was for Posey, with DC as a throw-in.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Posey. I don't see any problem with the playing time he's gotten. He's earned it. He's been communicative, a team player, a veteran presence, and clutch.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

he is better than Paul George

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tfarks View Post
    JOB thought the trade was for Posey, with DC as a throw-in.
    I don't believe that for a minute.

Posey with restricted minutes is a good thing. He brings a veteran presence and he is capable of scoring enough points to justify playing him. With how widely inconsistent our pf play is at the moment I don't have a problem with him stealing 10-15 minutes a game away from McBOB or Hans.

you have to have a solid veteran presence in this league. just look what the clippers did last night - that should tell you why.

He knows how to play winning NBA basketball. I realize that sounds really simple, but that is hugely important.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I thought the play last night with Granger was symbolic. Posey was wide open but made the pass to a wide open Granger for three. He was willing to sacrifice to keep his teammates satisfied.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I thought the play last night with Granger was symbolic. Posey was wide open but made the pass to a wide open Granger for three. He was willing to sacrifice to keep his teammates satisfied.
    That was the play of the night for me. After Granger hit the shot, the Clippers called a timeout and you could see not only how detested they were but you could also see a great bond between DG and Posey. Posey gave him a look and Granger just smiled and they looked like they were just out there having fun. I like that.
    Grown Man Ball

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

James Posey is this team's version of a Derek Fisher. I hope he's here for a long time, personally.

The best way I can describe those two guys are as momentum busters. Basketball is a game of runs and when another team is surging or gaining momentum, guys like Posey and Fisher nearly always step in and take away the other team's momentum...or at least do something to mitigate it to the point that the younger players are suited to handle it. In the off nights when they can't do that, that's why there's a loss column.

We haven't had a guy like that for quite some time on the Pacers.

Posey is fearless when it comes to taking shots in critical situations, whether it be in crunch time or at a random point in the middle of the game when the other team is starting to go on a run and you need a big shot to crush their momentum, or at least slow it down a little. There may be games where it doesn't make a difference, but there may be other games, such as games we saw in the last couple of years when a team went on a 30-8 run because we didn't have that veteran guy to come in and find a way to hit a couple of shots to kill the other team's momentum at the 10-0 run mark.

Even if he misses the shots, it will be no worse than the guys taking the shots and missing them last couple of years. Say what you will about Danny or anyone we had last year or the year before, but if one of them were capable of doing that, we wouldn't have lost as many games as we did with teams coming back from 20 down to beat us. The difference with Posey is, the majority of the time, he won't miss those shots in those situations. I believe Jim will go to him in the lineup at points during the game when he feels momentum or energy turning the other team's way or may be about to turn the other team's way. If he's in the game when it happens, you may see Jim draw up a play for him to get a shot out of a timeout.

Guys like Posey and Fisher almost have this odd aura about them where the only time they seem to make shots is at that point where you say, "dangit, we almost had them, but there he is again...hitting that shot". They bring the other team back to reality, whether it's in a situation where a team is ahead of the Pacers and trying to expand the lead to double digits, or if we have the lead and the team is trying to cut it below 10. The games when Fisher has an off-night and isn't doing that, the Lakers usually lose.

Most nba players seem to get in a groove when momentum is going their way and the game is flowing downstream. Players like Posey and Fisher are the opposite. They thrive when momentum is going against them. They never seem to hit many game winners, but if it's a 2 point game, they hit shots to make it a 5 point game. Or if you're down 5, they hit shots to make it a two point game.

I believe his presence alone in those situations will result in at least 6-8 more wins this season in games that we might have lost last season without a guy like that...and if he continues to do what he can do, it will be tough to keep him out of the game during crunch-time in close games.

If Denver had a guy like Posey, I guarantee the we wouldn't have hit 20 straight shots and had a 54 point quarter in that game.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcouts For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya, Posey is a great "run-stopper".
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    he is better than Paul George
    Sure, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I don't believe that for a minute.
    Sarchasm.

Oh my jcouts, thats even more fluff than a Dunleavy apologist could dish out.

You've got a lot of young players on this team, it doesn't hurt to have a few veterans teach them how the game should be played both on and off the court. Posey's been a key player on a lot of championship teams. He may be taking a few minutes from our younger guys, but they need to be earning some of their minutes anyways.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Love his savvy, but I'd still only play him 1.) he's hitting shots. 2.) has a good defensive match up

He should almost NEVER play SF, only PF.

He reminds me of watching the Legend games back in the day during all star weekend.

I think maybe its been too long since we've seen a really clever defensive player in the Blue and Gold, cuz folks are giving him way too much love.

When the season is over he should not have played over 17 mins a game average or something didn't go right, imo.

Mood

As tfarks can attest to,

I love me some James Posey. And i'm not ashamed to admit it.