Thread: Looking for a new car

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Looking for a new car

Hey all,

I will make this brief as I have to run in a minute.

I have been thinking about a new car for quite some time, but I am going to be starting law school in the fall so I am not sure that I want to pur a lot of money into a car if I do not have a job.

After the last week I have been informed I have numerous leaks, and I am looking at around 3K to get my engine totally rebuilt. So this weekend I am going to go car shopping, well my parents and I are. They want me to start off at carmax and look at what I would get to trade my car in (a 2000 Subaru Outback limited edition).

I do not know much about leasing, but would it be ok to lease for 2 or 3 years or would I be better of just getting a super cheap new car? What cars could I look at that would be cheap but still respectable? (So far I have just looked online but saw a Toyota for around 12K, a KIA for about the same, and a Ford for 10-11K. Is this about what I should expect to spend?)

Thanks,

-VA

Default Re: Looking for a new car

I would look at blackbook and nada to get a rough idea of what your trade in is worth too. Every dealer is different in terms of pricing so they will show you different value for your trade.

I don't think leasing is EVER the best way to have a car financially. With that said once you narrow down your choices maybe just put it on paper and compare the costs. It could be what you want to do if you don't drive more than 12,000 miles a year.

I don't think you can go wrong with the new Fords or Kias (or Hyundais) or Toyotas if you believe they are safe. Hondas and Nissans have been real good too. VWs are very expensive to repair. You obviously know about Subarus.

I wouldn't get a Chrysler or GM car unless it was one of the brand new ones. Their cars have sucked with the exception of the redesigned Malibu (08 and newer)
    Last edited by Young; 11-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks.

I am actually looking or a smaller car.

I am also lucky in that I ma be able to April of 11 before I have to make a move, so this gives me lots of time to research. However, all the places that have seen my car have said I should make a move with this car sooner rather then later

If you do wait until April and want to lease you might want to check out the redesigned Ford Focus for 2012. It's suppose to come out in early 2011, I think, and it's sweet! Major upgrade over the latest version.

You might already know this but if you go to the manufacturer's website to do some research you can compare the competitors models. Pretty good stuff.

Yeah, I have been doing this so far today.

I actually will have a car to drive (minus a few weeks every four months) until the first or second week of April 2011

I have two good friends who really want me to look at American (mostly Ford) but I really do not care.

The only reason I am looking new is because I figure it will help me out with maintenance costs (since the warranty would cover it). However, I understand this is not 100% true. My mom just got a new Toyota and the one thing she has really pushed hard is the extended warranty. Granted this is the first car I will have to pay for 100% on my own, so I am definitely price conscious lol

I am ok with not leasing, and I have not had a chance to run it by my parents but they both kind of consider it crazy to lease (at least for me 8 years ago) and I doubt that will change this time around

Yeah you can't go wrong with a new Fords. Especially with the whole SYNC system. They are making good cars.

Yeah newer cars shouldn't have the repairs as older ones but the flip side is you pay for that through the cost of the car and deprecation. I'd just do all the research you can.

I'd be careful about extended warranties. Just from my experience those warranty companies will use any reason NOT to pay for the repair. Say the warranty cost you $1,500 you are probably better off spending an extra $1,500 on the actual car itself. Sometimes the extended warranties work out though but if you are buying a vehicle with lower miles and a good history it might not be necessary. Not trying to tell you what to do just giving you my opinion from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah you can't go wrong with a new Fords. Especially with the whole SYNC system. They are making good cars.

Yeah newer cars shouldn't have the repairs as older ones but the flip side is you pay for that through the cost of the car and deprecation. I'd just do all the research you can.

I'd be careful about extended warranties. Just from my experience those warranty companies will use any reason NOT to pay for the repair. Say the warranty cost you $1,500 you are probably better off spending an extra $1,500 on the actual car itself. Sometimes the extended warranties work out though but if you are buying a vehicle with lower miles and a good history it might not be necessary. Not trying to tell you what to do just giving you my opinion from my experience.
    NO, thank you SO MUCH.

I appreciate any and all input.

Hell, can I take you with me to the dealership

Mood

I have an smaller GM car (Olds Alero) that I have been driving since 2003 and it has over 300,000 miles on it now. Other than routine maintenance and expected repairs I have not had too many problems with it. I have always bought GM vehicles but that was because the employee discount was so good. I have never had anything more than one major repair in a caddy that I owned and it was replacing the engine and I got it done for under 1,200$.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Depends on what you define as cheap.

I've got a couple of Dodges (Challenger and Charger) that I LOVE and a small SUV (Mercury, it's so-so).

Nerd.
    Mood

I would look at blackbook and nada to get a rough idea of what your trade in is worth too. Every dealer is different in terms of pricing so they will show you different value for your trade.

I don't think leasing is EVER the best way to have a car financially. With that said once you narrow down your choices maybe just put it on paper and compare the costs. It could be what you want to do if you don't drive more than 12,000 miles a year.

I don't think you can go wrong with the new Fords or Kias (or Hyundais) or Toyotas if you believe they are safe. Hondas and Nissans have been real good too. VWs are very expensive to repair. You obviously know about Subarus.

I wouldn't get a Chrysler or GM car unless it was one of the brand new ones. Their cars have sucked with the exception of the redesigned Malibu (08 and newer)
    Leasing isn't bad if you want to get a new car every two years or so.

I've got 2 Chrysler products (Dodge) and have no issues with them. My Ford SUV (Mercury) has had a ton of problems, though.

Stryder,

What Mercury did you have? I know that Ford's vehicles pre 08 were not good with the exceptions being the Fusion/Edge, and F150. Now though they are at the top of it all across the board. Amazing what a new CEO can do!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've leased all my cars except my very first one.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Nerd.
    Mood

Stryder,

What Mercury did you have? I know that Ford's vehicles pre 08 were not good with the exceptions being the Fusion/Edge, and F150. Now though they are at the top of it all across the board. Amazing what a new CEO can do!
    it's a 2008 v6 mercury mariner. It's not really that bad. I just pike the other cars more.

I'm gonna suggest the Ford Fiesta. Small car, great gas mileage, starts at $13k, and its just a nice little car.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: