Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ng-12-million/


    Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Troy Murphy is making $12 million this season, the Nets big summer acquisition that was going to bring some scoring punch from the four. He was going to mentor Derrick Favors. He would be a big part of the franchise — for a year, then the franchise would try to go get someone they really want next summer when Murphy’s deal expired.

    But Murphy is not contributing much — 4.4 points a game on 30 percent shooting with 5.2 rebounds. Which led to the dreaded “DNP-CD” against the Clippers — Murphy never got on the court because Avery Johnson didn’t put him in.

    That’s a lot of money being paid to a guy to sit, so Johnson was asked why Murphy didn’t play by the New York Daily News:

    “Troy wants to play. But right now, we’re trying to get to a starting rotation we can live with. Get a bench rotation we can live with. Just unfortunately the last two games, he’s totaled eight minutes and hasn’t been a major part of it.”
    Ah, well, that really… um. We still don’t know.

    Murphy is coming back slowly from injury, that is part of it. But a bigger part is that Derrick Favors has turned out to be good more quickly than expected, and Kris Humphries has completely outplayed Murphy. Both are rebounding much better, both are shooting at a higher percentage, both are more athletic. The result is they get the minutes and Murphy sits.

    Still, that’s a guy you need to see if you can make work — Murphy can help a mundane Nets offense if he can get going. And part of that will be getting minutes. Otherwise he’s a $12 million 12th man.

  2. #2
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    I hope they weren't happy with Courtney Lee, for their sake.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,115

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    That's interesting that he fell off like that. He would think he would be able to contribute AT LEAST defensive rebounding. Of course, I'll reserve my judgment when he's 100%.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,655
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    ya i was watching clippers vs nets wish murphy would have played so Blake Griffen could abuse him. Pretty sad if kris hummphrys starts over u lol

  6. #5
    Member MTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Is it fair to make the logical connection that either Avery Johnson is right about Murphy (that he not good enough to be playing, despite his salary), or JOB is right about Murphy (that he is an invaluable starter worthy of playing 35 mins a night), but that both can't be right?

  7. #6

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    It was pretty predictable New Jersey would end up regretting that trade. In all fairness to Murphy he was injured to start the season though. He'll eventually start playing.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    I think Murph is just happy to be back in his home state of NJ.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    I still don't know why the trade is looked at another way for NJ other than getting another expiring.......

    Let's face it. NJ was going struggle with or without Murphy. He isn't their long term answer, and that is blantantly obvious considering they drafted a PF.

    He's there for shooting and there to help match salaries with Melo, so they don't have to give more up. He will be moved by the trade deadline, and it has nothing to do with his ability on the court.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't know why the trade is looked at another way for NJ other than getting another expiring.......

    Let's face it. NJ was going struggle with or without Murphy. He isn't their long term answer, and that is blantantly obvious considering they drafted a PF.

    He's there for shooting and there to help match salaries with Melo, so they don't have to give more up. He will be moved by the trade deadline, and it has nothing to do with his ability on the court.
    I been thinking the same thing, they don't care to play him, they just wanted another expiring for the trade deadline, must of his value is because he is an expiring not because he is a double double machine.

  14. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,655
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't know why the trade is looked at another way for NJ other than getting another expiring.......

    Let's face it. NJ was going struggle with or without Murphy. He isn't their long term answer, and that is blantantly obvious considering they drafted a PF.

    He's there for shooting and there to help match salaries with Melo, so they don't have to give more up. He will be moved by the trade deadline, and it has nothing to do with his ability on the court.
    Not true why would the nuggets want murphy ?? woulnt u much rather just have the 11 mill in cap room remember NJ was way under the cap. They could have traded Favors st8 up and salries would have worked beacuse NJ had that much cap room. To me thats a lot more attractive then paying murphy to ride the pine in Denver.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    592

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Thumbs up Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Look at the bright side, if Murphy doesn't play much this year, he'll fly under the radar so the Pacers can re-sign him in the off-season! JOB will be reunited with his main weapon and the Pacers offense can be run again the way it was meant to be--with our fearless leader JOB at the helm, armed with a new contract!

    Go Pacers!!!
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  17. #12
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not true why would the nuggets want murphy ?? woulnt u much rather just have the 11 mill in cap room remember NJ was way under the cap. They could have traded Favors st8 up and salries would have worked beacuse NJ had that much cap room. To me thats a lot more attractive then paying murphy to ride the pine in Denver.
    They don't want Murphy. At all. They want the cap space. No team is going to give up young talent for a player that wants out.

    Did you not hear Melo's comment last night how he's not going to do the Nuggets like Bosh did the Raptors? Why in the world would a team like NJ, that can sign Melo outright, send Denver anything of value (value to their team)? They can just hold on to the trading pieces that Denver wants, and then just sign him in the offseason if Melo wanted to go there.

    Troy Murphy is an asset because of his contract. Expirings get traded every single year and the team getting them have no desire to keep them longer than the contract.

    EDIT: I'm sure the real value that Denver will want, if they take a player like Murphy back, is a draft pick. And I don't think NJ will have a problem giving up their 1st rounder for Melo, considering the implications if a lock out happens, if Melo say's he will sign an extension.
    Last edited by Since86; 11-17-2010 at 02:30 PM.

  18. #13
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    To be fair on Troy, not only has he been below 100%, but also Avery's focus has been establishing toughness as part of their culture. He's been hard on everyone there over defense, and especially on Brook Lopez. Even publicly. He can't sit Lopez obviously, but sitting Troy is probably part of the message.

    Just an example from one of many articles on this:
    Now, there's nothing positive about sitting because your coach is preaching toughness and defense, but it probably means that Troy isn't suddenly terri-bad - just very limited and certainly overpaid.

  19. #14
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't want Murphy. At all. They want the cap space. No team is going to give up young talent for a player that wants out.

    Did you not hear Melo's comment last night how he's not going to do the Nuggets like Bosh did the Raptors? Why in the world would a team like NJ, that can sign Melo outright, send Denver anything of value (value to their team)? They can just hold on to the trading pieces that Denver wants, and then just sign him in the offseason if Melo wanted to go there.

    Troy Murphy is an asset because of his contract. Expirings get traded every single year and the team getting them have no desire to keep them longer than the contract.
    What he meant is that the Nets basically took Murphy into their cap space (IIRC). They could have saved that space and used it for trades as well. You can trade for Melo both with expiring and into cap space. Cap space trade would even be better in a way, since Denver would then get an exception for further trades and wouldn't have to pay anyone a salary.

  20. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,655
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't want Murphy. At all. They want the cap space. No team is going to give up young talent for a player that wants out.

    Did you not hear Melo's comment last night how he's not going to do the Nuggets like Bosh did the Raptors? Why in the world would a team like NJ, that can sign Melo outright, send Denver anything of value (value to their team)? They can just hold on to the trading pieces that Denver wants, and then just sign him in the offseason if Melo wanted to go there.

    Troy Murphy is an asset because of his contract. Expirings get traded every single year and the team getting them have no desire to keep them longer than the contract.
    My point was they were 30 million under the cap this summer they didnt need to trade for murphy to get melo they could have just traded 2 prospects and that would of made nuggets happier than having to take 12 million $ murphy
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 11-17-2010 at 02:36 PM.

  21. #16
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,494

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    What??? You don't have to give a player in the last year of his contract big minutes??? You don't have to showcase him for a big midseason trade???

    You can just put him on the bench and play the players that are part of your future?

    Dayum... learn something new every day!
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point was they were 30 million under the cap this summer they didnt need to trade for murphy to get melo they could have just traded 2 prospects and that would of made nuggets happier than having to take 12 million $ murphy
    Maybe Denver wants to use Murphy to get another piece and trade him to a team that would want to keep him after this year.

  24. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point was they were 30 million under the cap this summer they didnt need to trade for murphy toget melo they could have just traded 2 prospects and that would of made nuggets happier than having to take 12 million $ murphy
    I know what your point is, but you didn't respond to what Melo said last night pubically, which I'm sure he said to TPTB a long time before yesterday.

    He's not goint to do them dirty like Bosh, and just leave. He's going to make sure the Nugs get something back in return for him. NJ can retain pretty good cap space for another signing, by using the cap space freed up from Murphy alone. That will cover over half of what Melo will get, and they retain some of the cap space they already had. It's a win-win.

    There's no such thing as too much cap space. Take a look at Miami......

  25. #19
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What he meant is that the Nets basically took Murphy into their cap space (IIRC). They could have saved that space and used it for trades as well. You can trade for Melo both with expiring and into cap space. Cap space trade would even be better in a way, since Denver would then get an exception for further trades and wouldn't have to pay anyone a salary.
    No, not really. Because they've shed even more salary by sending out a player in Courtney Lee who was about to get another contract, because his rookie deal was up.

    They will end up saving MORE money by trading for Murphy and then using him to get Melo.

    Money that can be used either on a FA signing or be put towards another trade.

  26. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,655
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know what your point is, but you didn't respond to what Melo said last night pubically, which I'm sure he said to TPTB a long time before yesterday.

    He's not goint to do them dirty like Bosh, and just leave. He's going to make sure the Nugs get something back in return for him. NJ can retain pretty good cap space for another signing, by using the cap space freed up from Murphy alone. That will cover over half of what Melo will get, and they retain some of the cap space they already had. It's a win-win.

    There's no such thing as too much cap space. Take a look at Miami......
    If he really wanted to get them something he could of went to the gm without going public and would have got them full trade value. Also i heard he didnt want to weaken the team he goes to. so he would play out the season with the nuggets but that was what a source told an NBA insider.

  27. #21
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, not really. Because they've shed even more salary by sending out a player in Courtney Lee who was about to get another contract, because his rookie deal was up.

    They will end up saving MORE money by trading for Murphy and then using him to get Melo.

    Money that can be used either on a FA signing or be put towards another trade.
    If you trade a 1 mil expiring + 11 mil in cap space for a 12 mil expiring, you aren't saving money or getting more cap space...
    If Troy is useless as player (which I don't agree), wouldn't Denver rather take 11 mil exception + 1 mil expiring?

    This trade had nothing to do with more cap space for Nets. It was about getting a better player (or so they thought).

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  29. #22
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    I agree he shouldn't have went public, but really it was bound to happen. A player of his caliber wanting out, or even if the media THINKS he wants out, is really going to hurt the team looking to move him.

    It is what it is, and the only thing they can do is try to get the most as possible. A big expiring contract, like Troy's, coupled with a 1st round draft pick is just that.

    This discussion has evolved from why NJ took on Troy, into why Melo shouldn't have went public. That's not the issue.

  30. #23
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you trade a 1 mil expiring + 11 mil in cap space for a 12 mil expiring, you aren't saving money or getting more cap space...
    If Troy is useless as player (which I don't agree), wouldn't Denver rather take 11 mil exception + 1 mil expiring?

    This trade had nothing to do with more cap space for Nets. It was about getting a better player (or so they thought).
    You are when you plan on resigning the 1 million player. You really think that Lee wouldn't have been resigned by them after the trade they did to get him???????

    Hardly.

    And you cannot tell me they thought Murphy was better than he really is. Unless the Nets front office seriously doesn't watch, or scout any opponent, they knew exactly what they were getting. Everyone knew what type of player Indy was getting when the GS trade went down.

    Did Murphy fail to meet expectations or play above them? I know he did exactly what I thought he was going to do.

  31. #24
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Rumors all summer that Lee wasn't working out in NJ and was out the door, way before this trade went down.

    I heard it on the NBA ESPN podcast with Rusillo.

    So I'd guess NJ was happy to get a year of what they thought/think Murphy could provide for a guy they weren't keeping anyway. Plus Murphy is still an expiring trade chip at the worst.

  32. #25

    Default Re: Troy Murphy spends a lot of time on the bench for a guy making $12 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, not really. Because they've shed even more salary by sending out a player in Courtney Lee who was about to get another contract, because his rookie deal was up.

    They will end up saving MORE money by trading for Murphy and then using him to get Melo.

    Money that can be used either on a FA signing or be put towards another trade.
    He wasn't about to get a new contract, his rookie contract goes until 2013 (2 years + 1 year QO). He'll be making $1.2 millions + $2.3 millions in the next 2 years.

    Are you saying they traded for Troy Murphy to dump Courtney Lee's rookie contract? If they didn't want to keep Lee, pretty much every team in the league would take him off their hands for free, with a trade exception or cap room.

    They won't save a single dollar. Denver won't save a single dollar. The only difference is that they (or Denver) will be paying Murphy's contract. They could use the cap space to get the deal done.

Similar Threads

  1. T-Bird Rotation Discussion from Front Page
    By Brad8888 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
  2. Chad Ford: Al Jefferson for Troy Murphy?
    By docpaul in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
  3. Troy Murphy Wedding Planner
    By Raoul Duke in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 08:48 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:42 AM
  5. Hoping for a long response from Peck
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •