Thread: We are approaching the one year anniversary of Isiah geting fired

Default We are approaching the one year anniversary of Isiah geting fired

August 27, 2003 a day I will never forget. At approximately 3:00 PM the news broke wide open that Isiah thomas was being fired.

I'll never forget where I was and when I first read the news. I was at work, working hard as I always do when I just happended to see a thread title started by Arkman stating that Isiah is getting fired. I was in total disbelief, but I know Arkman would never joke about something like that.

It is fun to go back and read the thread from a year ago about this.

Not sure I can find it now with my home computer being completely broken and with having a new job.

But Wednseday August 27, 2003 is a day I'll never forget.

[edit=24=1093482428][/edit]
    [edit=24=1093482721][/edit]

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Isiah Fired: We are approaching the one year anniversary

on the main page all it said was Isiah Fired. I was confused as i thought he was doing ok in NY

Default Re: We are approaching the one year anniversary of Isiah geting fired

Good point, so I changed the title

Mood

thanks. That was a good day for me. I like IT and all but i didn't like the way he coached.

canyoufeelit

FU Isiah. If Rick had the team you had, we would have won the championship. How anyone could be such a horrible coach is beyond me. Good evaluator of talent though.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I didn't pay my season ticket renewal until the next day - that was the only time since I began buying some form of season tickets when I questioned whether I would renew. Business School and moving to Chicago didn't drive me away, but Isiah almost did. My account rep chuckled that the phones were ringing off the hook that day for renewal payments, upgrades, return-ees, and new subscribers.

What a glorious day it was.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

canyoufeelit

Isiah could have turned the '96 Bulls into a second-round exit.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I.T. I liked and had respect for but I don't think anyone liked the way he coached.Yea I remember that day as well.I remember turning to ESPN only to see the major headline "Indiana Pacers Head Coach Isiah Thomas fired".During the 5 o'clock news on WHTR that was the major headline they talked about it during basicly the whole show.Dang, it was Aug 27?!Well thats good because after the firing took place for me Basketball season came up real quick.Doesn't I.T. keep his kids in Indy?I heard he kept his family here because his kids really liked the school system.I have always admired the way I.T. stood up for his players though.I remember the Pacers playing a game at Toronto and one of the Raptors player tripped AL on purpose and that got I.T. all fired up.Lenny Wilkens had to hold him back! I also remember all those stupid comments saying L.Bird was a racistAlso I rememberJ.O. getting upset about the firing of I.T.But I think all is well now.Because the team is getting better and winning in the playoffs.Also I think we got a heck of a coach in Rick and he sticks up for his players a lot just like I.T.Dang I typed way too much.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I don't really remember it, because I was kind of expecting it. he was a terrible coach, I figured he'd be fired.

Although, he was pretty good at developing young players.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Yeah, that was a great day.

Hard to believe it's been a full year now.

On that day.... The rest of the Eastern Conference suddenly had to account for the Pacers.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I remember that I had a friend from out of town visiting that day and we were in Santa Cruz all day. When I got home I peeked at the board and saw that and was like "Sorry man, I have to read all this." Then did.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't I.T. keep his kids in Indy?
    He did keep his kids there this past year. I don't know if they're staying or not.

Here's a question. You're Isiah Thomas' son. You're beginning HS basketball. Where would you rather be, Indy or NY?

That question's hard enough without the last name. But add that, in either city, or worse, Chicago, and I'd think that's got to be pretty rough. But the way Isiah talks about his son, I'm sure he's prepared the best he can be.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm one of the few people on the planet earth who felt like Isiah got somewhat of a bum rap.

Don't get me wrong, he had lost that team IMO & deserved to be fired.

However, I think the guy got sold a bill of goods by Walsh when he first came here. Remember when Zeke signed up we were just coming off of a finals run & had a combonation of veteran experiance & a youthfull energetic bench.

In the matter of two months of him being hired he went from having a team that was well mixed with experiance & balance to a team that Red Arbach would have trouble winning with.

Then Walsh went into his mode of "combo players being the future" & thus stuck Thomas with a team filled with small forwards.

Not to mention that the behind the scenes stuff that was going on was obviously more than Montieth was letting us know at the time.

Thomas never stood up & took acountability & for that a lot of people don't like him. He wasn't the best distributer of min. for the team & God knows he played favorites.

But I don't beleive he was as bad as his final record here said it was.

I do beleive he is directly responsible for helping Jermaine shift from being a whiney punk who thought it was all about him, to a player who may one day lead us to a title.

I beleive he did the best he could do with Ron Artest. Knowing what we know now, the toughness of Carlisle/Bird did nothing more behind the scenes than what Thomas's conjoling,begging, pleading, yelling, punishing, etc., etc.

Ron Mercer was a cancer in the locker room (according to published reports).

This isn't the first year Al Harrington thought he should start.

In other words there was a lot of crap that went on in that locker room that Thomas either would not or could not control.

Is it fair to blame him for that? Sure.

But it's not just on him, IMO.

If anything I think that down torward the end he lost control totally & his sub. patterns came back to haunt him.

But I think it's unfair to totally blame him for the entire span of his tenure with the team.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

When you get on in life, things look somewhat more mellow then in the spur of the moment of your youth.

I tend to look back at things gone bye with different eyes then when I experience them the moment I do.
    For one I try to remember the good things and forget the heartache, there's only so much pain you can carry.

Looking back it was the right decision, though the way in which it was done specially towards JO was wrong, there is no other judgement for that.
    JO has moved on, so have the Pacers and so has IT, we should do the same.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Peck, that he has done many good things as well.
    Evauating talent, a definite strong, the right picks when he was here, that's for sure.
    A bum ride certainly in the first year, when the team he came in to was dissapearing before the ink dried.
    JO's developement, mainly in between the ears, what made him the player he is today, certainly IT's doing.
    He's done many things wrong, though he did not "pick" his cards, he was dealt with them.
    I don't mis him, but repsect the fact he has done good to this franchise as well.

oh, and he dressed a hell of a lot better then Rick

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

when's the parade start, celebrating the 1 year anniversary of the re-birth of the franchise?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Peck, selling people a bill of goods is called the "Isiah syndrome". Just ask the people in his wake.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.