Thread: $1,000 per point from J.O'Neal

Default $1,000 per point from J.O'Neal

and McGrady.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allsta...ory?id=1727366

Two East All-Stars pledge $1,000 per point

By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

If you notice Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal calling for the ball more than usual in the forthcoming All-Star Game, there's a good reason.

McGrady and O'Neal both pledged to donate $1,000 for each point that they score for the Eastern Conference -- McGrady to the Florida Children's Hospital in Orlando and O'Neal to the Housing Authority, with the funds split between branches in Indianapolis and his hometown of Columbia, S.C. An official announcement is expected Thursday.

"Those kids, along with all Orlando Magic fans, will be on my mind on All-Star Sunday," McGrady said.

McGrady and O'Neal have grown close through their association with USA Basketball and as young stars in the East with much in common. The idea to stage a friendly competition for charity in the All-Star Game grew out of their joint venture at last year's All-Star Game, when both players invited the mothers and children from families whose fathers were away serving the country in the Iraq war.

McGrady will be playing in his fourth straight All-Star Game. He scored 29 points in last February's game in Atlanta. O'Neal, an Indiana Pacers forward-center, will be making his third consecutive appearance. He scored 10 points in Atlanta.

------------------------------------------------

Default Re: $1,000 per point from J.O'Neal

Good for him and Tracy
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really pleased with both of them. I'm glad JO also remembers from where he came.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

You go JO!

Tim

"McGrady and O'Neal have grown close through their association with USA Basketball and as young stars in the East with much in common."

Okay, McGrady decides to opt out of his contract because he doesn't think he will ever win with the Magic and is tired of carrying the team.

Rumors start to fly and one of them is "McGrady and O'Neal have grown close through their association with USA Basketball and as young stars in the East with much in common.", McGrady wants to come here.

*Considering our team is pretty successful the way it is now* just how much would you be willing to part with to get McGrady here?

Al is automatically gone and JO untouchable, who else?

I would not do the sign and trade if it included Ron Artest, Ron must stay.
    As an Al fan I would protest trading him but realistically I know its a given that Al and more would be gone.

"McGrady and O'Neal have grown close through their association with USA Basketball and as young stars in the East with much in common."

Okay, McGrady decides to opt out of his contract because he doesn't think he will ever win with the Magic and is tired of carrying the team.

Rumors start to fly and one of them is "McGrady and O'Neal have grown close through their association with USA Basketball and as young stars in the East with much in common.", McGrady wants to come here.

*Considering our team is pretty successful the way it is now* just how much would you be willing to part with to get McGrady here?

Al is automatically gone and JO untouchable, who else?

As an Al fan I would protest trading him but realistically I know its a given that Al and more would be gone.

If the planets were to align and McGrady not only wanted out of Orlando, but wanted to join JO and Ron, this trade works salary wise:

McGrady for Harrington, Pollard, and Freddie Jones.

I'm sure we'd do it, but would even a desparate Orlando?

I love Artest as much as anybody but I'm sorry if it meant bringing Tracy here no one on the team this side of Jermaine Oneal is untouchable.

If we lose Artest, we still have Harrington. If we lose Harrington we still have Artest. And a top 5 NBA player to play along side whoever stays on Indy.

I just dont see how anyone would not trade Artest and change for Tracy McGrady.

I love Artest as much as anybody but I'm sorry if it meant bringing Tracy here no one on the team this side of Jermaine Oneal is untouchable.

If we lose Artest, we still have Harrington. If we lose Harrington we still have Artest. And a top 5 NBA player to play along side whoever stays on Indy.

I just dont see how anyone would not trade Artest and change for Tracy McGrady.
    Because of Ron's defense and toughness and agression makes me think more highly of him as an overall player than McGrady, who is "just" an offensive God.

Honestly, I'd rather have Artest than McGrady, but thats just me
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

and me.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally they're just about even in my opinion. McGrady is miles better offensively than Artest, while Artest is the same miles away from T-Mac on defense. It wouldn't kill me to see this type of trade made, as Al's there to take Ron's place, but it wouldn't be a land-slide deal for either team. You could get Orlando to take Al + Freddy if they really thought they were losing T-Mac for nothing.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We're talking about Tracy McGrady for Al+filler? Good lord.
    I'm figuring you mean like I think that it's going to be just about impossible to get T-Mac for Al and filler. It would take at least Artest cause you know other teams would put up a better offer than Al and Freddy.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller